• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

How do Bigsby equipped LPs fit in the case?

proanti

I am wondering how there can be enough room in any of the Gibson LP cases. Is there actually enough clearance to close the lid without putting stress on the guitar?

Desertdawg

The Standard case fits fine as does the black Historic case, albeit with a dent in the plush lining. The brown Costa Rican "Lifton" case is a total disaster....in more ways than this one....but looks cool!

Todd Louis

The Lifton is Not a total loss.....

Some of them fit just fine sone dont...

But in general you can't close the end lach thats about it ..

radioscooter

I use the standard historic case, the old 70's black case, and a Protector and I've never had a problem. Just swing the bar all the way around and you're done.

badhabit

Bigsbys look cool-- but, does anyone actually use them? Had one on a '72 SG way back when and never touched it.

Jurius

I find myself reaching for the Bigsby on my LP which does not have a Bigs because I use it so much on my Gretsch. When using a Gretsch, I use it on every tune. Some like 'em, some don't.

simon

I use the standard historic case, the old 70's black case, and a Protector and I've never had a problem. Just swing the bar all the way around and you're done.

well... I don't if there is any case that would fit if you wouldn't swing the bar around :)

Desertdawg

I'll buy that Todd.....but a case with the end latch open really is a "disaster" waiting to happen! :applaude

D'Mule

But how well does a case with end latch open fit in my trunk?

tele00

I am wondering how there can be enough room in any of the Gibson LP cases. Is there actually enough clearance to close the lid without putting stress on the guitar?

I bought a GORGEOUS R9 with a Bigsby and the paperwork with it recommends that you simply remove the strings and the complete bigsby assembly prior to putting it in the case .

mailman4

No problem with LP USA case; simply swing trem arm fully clockwise and close the lid. The lowered arm position brings the arm closer to the guitar body, so the case lid doesn't depress it when it's closed.

StSpider

Bigsbys look cool-- but, does anyone actually use them? Had one on a '72 SG way back when and never touched it.

To me the Bigsby is pretty much a trem bar for people who don't use a lever at all.

You can't do with it most of the stuff you can do with other systems (without detuning the guitar of course), but if you like the occasional chord with vibrato, there you are.

It doesn't add much, so techincally it's not a necessity (there's no song when you HAVE to use a Bigsby, you know what I mean?), but if you start using it, it adds some coolness to you execution.

Todd Louis

I'll buy that Todd.....but a case with the end latch open really is a "disaster" waiting to happen! :applaude
I've had my Keith Burst in the case since 04' neva had a problem with it ..

But ya I wish it would close all the way .

000_2711.jpg

radioscooter

To me the Bigsby is pretty much a trem bar for people who don't use a lever at all.

You can't do with it most of the stuff you can do with other systems (without detuning the guitar of course), but if you like the occasional chord with vibrato, there you are.

It doesn't add much, so techincally it's not a necessity (there's no song when you HAVE to use a Bigsby, you know what I mean?), but if you start using it, it adds some coolness to you execution.

1. It's not a "trem" bar at all. It's MEANT to be a palming, subtle vibrato.

2. We've been through the tuning thing here a hundred times. If it's going out of tune for you - you've got it set-up wrong or you're using it wrong. period.

3. There are PLENTY of songs you need one to play. Most Duane Eddy tunes or try playing "Wicked Game" without a vibrato. Better yet, try pulling them off with some locking whammy bar.

I wish people would stop making these sweeping statements about Bigsbys. You either get it or you don't. It's all good. But please don't act like they're these quaint dainty finnicky gadgets. They're as rock and roll and as vintage as it gets. Keith, Neil... they all managed.

Todd Louis

2. We've been through the tuning thing here a hundred times. If it's going out of tune for you - you've got it set-up wrong or you're using it wrong. period.

3. There are PLENTY of songs you need one to play. Most Duane Eddy tunes or try playing "Wicked Game" without a vibrato. Better yet, try pulling them off with some locking whammy bar.

I wish people would stop making these sweeping statements about Bigsbys. You either get it or you don't. It's all good. But please don't act like they're these quaint dainty finnicky gadgets. They're as rock and roll and as vintage as it gets. Keith, Neil... they all managed.
The Mans Right on with this one :salude

johnnyo

+1.............except , Brian Setzer is anything but subtle when he uses his bigsby........as are most Rockabilly guys.

Drottsco

It doesn't add much, so techincally it's not a necessity (there's no song when you HAVE to use a Bigsby, you know what I mean?), but if you start using it, it adds some coolness to you execution.[/QUOT
I play multiple guitars. One hard tail, Two Floating Trem (Floyd Rose & a Kahler), and 3 with Bigsbys ('92 LP Studio, Epi Johnny A Signature Model & a Gretsch 5420T).

If your Bigsby guitar is properly setup you'll never have tuning issues. I treat my Bigsby's just like the Floyds, pulls, dips, total dive bombs with absolutely no issues what so ever. I take no credit for this, I have a tech I bring them to for setups.

Even I was surprised at first with this...mainly because I was reading comments like this about the limitations and tuning problems of a Bigsby.

A well setup guitar will do wonders.