• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Oxblood — origins?

StSpider

I'm very torn between this and a r7 custom 3 pups as my next guitar..

I wonder how chambered Oxbloods compare to non-chambered ones..did anyone had the chance to make a comparison?

'cause there seem to be only chambered around these days (you don't see many oxbloods used) and I play mainly high gain stuff, I'm not fond of hollows or semihollows hybrids generally (mainly feedback issues)

27sauce

What do these look like under stage lights? Black or red?

Like this, kinda light black, if that makes any sense. But, Sometimes in the right/bright light you see more of the color.
Marc

PB1002_AEROSMITH_6.jpg

Witch-hat

Thanks for the info and the pictures. Some good looking guitars here.

I remember, quite a few years ago, seeing a Custom, the color of which was designated as Blackcherry. It was very unique and cool looking and I've not seen another one since.

oldflame

My one has a rather nice Brazilian board on it. Came from the guys at Wildwood. I fitted a late 50's wrap over tail....Very Yummy!

Ag_Nathus

THAT was inspiring!

Yes, but of course, the oxblood is secondary. If a fella can throw down like that, he could plug an Aria into a pillow and people would still bow down before him!

My favorite part is where Beck-o gets fed up with trying to get somebody to bring the talkbox up in the monitors and says "Screw it!" and tears into the chorus...

AG

surfer

Hey Ultra - how difficult was it to replace the Schallers with Grovers - any drilling beyond the new hole for the small retaining screw?

Thanks in advance!

ultra

Hey Ultra - how difficult was it to replace the Schallers with Grovers - any drilling beyond the new hole for the small retaining screw?

Thanks in advance!

Surfer,

Straight in...no probs. You will have to drill a new hole, as you say, which is a small price to pay for a better result

Looks heaps better with Grovers, IMHO.

ultra

Thanks in advance!

Surfer,

Straight in...no probs. You will have to drill a new hole, as you say, which is a small price to pay for a better result

Looks heaps better with Grovers, IMHO.

surfer

Thanks for info. Yeah, the Schallers are ugly, and there is nothing special about the way they work. Grovers are what I put on back in the day (of course, I also routed my POS red '65 strat for a humbucker in 1979), and Grovers it will be!

lpnv59

All Access/Backstage Pass
You don't need to drill or use the screws. If you'll notice, there are 3 small splines at the base of Grovers. Once the bushing is torqued down, those 3 splines do a great job of keeping the tuner from spinning. You could also try installing a set of Klusons. In that case you would have to drill for screws. The way Gibson drills out for Grovers on my Page CA, Kluson bushings fit snug and the screw holes were already there to simulate Pages modded burst. They might have drilled the same way on Oxbloods, I don't know. Check it out.
normal_DSC00244~4.JPG

normal_DSC00245~2.JPG

cosmitron

Grovers and heavily aged covers Imperial Lollars.
That's the way it looks and SOUNDS good for me^^
IMG_5883_2468.jpg

IMG_5714_2298.jpg

IMG_5844_2429.jpg

cosmitron

By the way, I'm such a monomaniac kind of guy but I've just bought a LPR7 with 2 burstbuckers and a wraparound in GOLDTOP, I'll receive next week.
As I'm not what you might call patient, I was wondering if anyone could tell the differences between the Oxblood and the goldtop one except for their finishes.
This would answer another question, Is the oxblood a LPR7 with a wraparound or a LPR4 with humbuckers? Am I a jerk for asking myself such questions?
:D

Bluedawg

By the way, I'm such a monomaniac kind of guy but I've just bought a LPR7 with 2 burstbuckers and a wraparound in GOLDTOP, I'll receive next week.
As I'm not what you might call patient, I was wondering if anyone could tell the differences between the Oxblood and the goldtop one except for their finishes.
This would answer another question, Is the oxblood a LPR7 with a wraparound or a LPR4 with humbuckers? Am I a jerk for asking myself such questions?
:D

In theory it is an R4 with humbuckers.

In actuallity there would probably be very little difference between an R4 with humbuckers and an R7 with a factory original wraparound. My Oxblood has a slightly bigger neck than my R7, but neck sizes vary anyways.

The only real difference is that bridge pup on the Oxblood should be closer to the bridge than the R7 pup if it is accurate to Beck's original.

:jim

cosmitron

So the question makes sense! :)
As far as I know, according to the pictures I've been sent, the Bridge pup looks as close to its bridge than on my Oxblood. The missing pickguard part helps to see that.
Here's a pic:
9a93_1.JPG

Now I'll wait to check if there is any difference uin the neck shape..

surfer

OK, so I'm checking vintage Grover tuners on the bay... anything specific to look or watch out for?

Thanks!

P.S., my Oxblood has a huge neck, it's the same shape as the old ones, but (seems) about 20% bigger. At first I was skeptical, but I am really digging it with 11s!