• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Less Tall Octave Guitar!

Dino_k

I do seem to have some raw talent, I'll admit that, but very little knowledge to go along with it, unfortunately.

WOW! These are incredible. Your talent is only surpassed by your humility! But I'm surprised to read this particular comment. I've been so impressed by the quality and attention to detail on the Less Talls and these Octaves that I assumed you were a professional craftsman.

Truly astounding! You, sir, are a remarkable talent!

pinefd

WOW! These are incredible. Your talent is only surpassed by your humility! But I'm surprised to read this particular comment. I've been so impressed by the quality and attention to detail on the Less Talls and these Octaves that I assumed you were a professional craftsman.

Truly astounding! You, sir, are a remarkable talent!

Thanks so much for the nice comments, Dino. But the reason I said what I did was because my background is as a woodworker, a model builder and Les Paul fanatic, with a very steady hand, artistic mind and great attention to detail. Put all those things together, combined with Stew-Mac plans, a basement full of woodworking equipment, and lots of LPs to use as examples, and making my own guitars came rather easy. Oh, and the fact that I retired at a young age, and my golf swing's lousy didn't hurt either. My point is (was), that I've never had any formal training as a guitar builder or tech.

usc96

Those are beautiful. Great work. Watch out for Gibson though. If they'll sue the maker of Guitar Hero over a video game, then . . .

pinefd

Those are beautiful. Great work. Watch out for Gibson though. If they'll sue the maker of Guitar Hero over a video game, then . . .

Thanks for the kind words, USC guy, and for the cautionary advice. But so far, knock on wood, Gibson's been great about my Less Tall projects; they've really loved them. Below is a picture of me (R) with Rick Gembar (L), head of the Custom Shop, at the Summer Jam in '06. And last year, they even put one of my little guitars in their '07 Summer Jam highlights video! But I hear ya, and I'll be careful...notice I'm not using "Gibson" on the headstock!

normal_Less_Tall_with_Rick_Gembar.jpg

Frank

TNuT

I have been following this awesome piece of work for some time now! Do you have any clips of what they sound like? As a woodworker myself, I can compliment you on a truly outstanding job!

TNuT

pinefd

I have been following this awesome piece of work for some time now! Do you have any clips of what they sound like? As a woodworker myself, I can compliment you on a truly outstanding job!

TNuT

Thanks TNuT! At Jimmy Murray's jam in April, Nick Morgan (nmguitars) played it for a whole set, and I believe the whole thing was videotaped. I'm going to try and get a copy of that video and post some highlights from it. Plus, I hope to have one of these guitars in Matte Henderson's hands within the next few weeks, and you better believe we'll be hearing some awesome clips from him once that happens.

TNuT

We all know Nick from the LPF Jam Zone! Do we think the video may appear on youtube soon?:jim All in all, building a guitar from scratch has alway been a pipe dream of mine...inlays and all!

TNuT

mmcquain

Sorry guys - I know I'm way behind on getting that video from the jam into the computer and editing (I have like 8 hours of tape to go thru). Anyway, the new job has settled into a better routine and things are getting less crazy around here so that is getting closer to the top of my "to do" stack once again. I'll let you all know when I have a DVD ready.

pinefd

Well, I finally got around to finishing up this puppy last week (Octave Guitar #3). I had to wait a month for the lacquer to dry, and then illness struck, forcing me to be sidelined for a few additional weeks. Anyway, here is the finished product...I hope you like it!

MG_7785_1000_Red.jpg

MG_7783_1000_Red_2.jpg

MG_7792_800_Red.jpg

MG_7794_800_Red.jpg

MG_7784_800_2.jpg

And here's an indoor shot to show how dramatically different this peek-a-boo flame can look under different lighting conditions:

IMG_7804_1000_Saturated.jpg

05hummer

Well, I finally got around to finishing up this puppy last week (Octave Guitar #3). I had to wait a month for the lacquer to dry, and then illness struck, forcing me to be sidelined for a few additional weeks. Anyway, here is the finished product...I hope you like it!

MG_7785_1000_Red.jpg

MG_7783_1000_Red_2.jpg

MG_7792_800_Red.jpg

MG_7794_800_Red.jpg

MG_7784_800_2.jpg

And here's an indoor shot to show how dramatically different this peek-a-boo flame can look under different lighting conditions:

IMG_7804_1000_Saturated.jpg

Absolutely stunning...:salude :salude :salude

pinefd

Hi guys...I finally got this guitar into Matte's hands two weeks ago, and I think he likes it. Here's what he had to say about it on another forum: "this guitar is unbelievable! nashville high string to true violin tone shred. frank pine is a genius! 14.5" scale length. astounding attention to the most minute detail. i've been after this guitar for nearly 28 years. frank nailed it. brazilian board, correct inlay materials, effortless playability." Thanks Matte!

And for those of you who've been asking for a clip, here's a brief clip of Matte playing the above octave guitar through a Smith Custom Amplifiers 25 Watt head: http://www.mattemusic.com/smith8valester.aif
The clip shows two very different sides of this guitar's personality, with the first half being nice and clean, and the second half...well, not so.

It's very cool to hear this little thing in the hands of a professional (please kids, don't try this at home)! I only wish I had a clip of Nick playing one of these at the last Greensboro jam. That was awesome too! (maybe someday Mike)

I hope you like it!

Frank

The Shifter

God I want one of these. I mean, just off the charts cool.

The pictures above look like a listing from Mark's Guitar Loft, but if he only sold to tiny guitar players!:laugh2:

pinefd

Thanks Shifter! And thanks for the photo compliment too...Mark does take some great photos, and I get tips from him just about every time I visit him.

BTW, I hope to get some additional clips sometime soon.

Frank

P.Walker

Wow. Words cannot express how awesome your work is. Your passion for les pauls is second to none... I really wish I had one like it...Sometimes the full-sized buggers are bulky...

pinefd

Wow. Words cannot express how awesome your work is. Your passion for les pauls is second to none... I really wish I had one like it...Sometimes the full-sized buggers are bulky...

Thanks P.! I appreciate the kind words..."passion" you say? Some might call it an obsession (my wife sure does)!