NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Less Tall Octave Guitar!

Quote Originally Posted by pinefd View Post
    I do seem to have some raw talent, I'll admit that, but very little knowledge to go along with it, unfortunately.
    WOW! These are incredible. Your talent is only surpassed by your humility! But I'm surprised to read this particular comment. I've been so impressed by the quality and attention to detail on the Less Talls and these Octaves that I assumed you were a professional craftsman.

Truly astounding! You, sir, are a remarkable talent!
    "There out to be a law with no bail
    Smash a guitar and you go to jail"
    - John Hiatt

Quote Originally Posted by Dino_k View Post
    WOW! These are incredible. Your talent is only surpassed by your humility! But I'm surprised to read this particular comment. I've been so impressed by the quality and attention to detail on the Less Talls and these Octaves that I assumed you were a professional craftsman.

Truly astounding! You, sir, are a remarkable talent!
    Thanks so much for the nice comments, Dino. But the reason I said what I did was because my background is as a woodworker, a model builder and Les Paul fanatic, with a very steady hand, artistic mind and great attention to detail. Put all those things together, combined with Stew-Mac plans, a basement full of woodworking equipment, and lots of LPs to use as examples, and making my own guitars came rather easy. Oh, and the fact that I retired at a young age, and my golf swing's lousy didn't hurt either. My point is (was), that I've never had any formal training as a guitar builder or tech.

Those are beautiful. Great work. Watch out for Gibson though. If they'll sue the maker of Guitar Hero over a video game, then . . .

Quote Originally Posted by usc96 View Post
    Those are beautiful. Great work. Watch out for Gibson though. If they'll sue the maker of Guitar Hero over a video game, then . . .
    Thanks for the kind words, USC guy, and for the cautionary advice. But so far, knock on wood, Gibson's been great about my Less Tall projects; they've really loved them. Below is a picture of me (R) with Rick Gembar (L), head of the Custom Shop, at the Summer Jam in '06. And last year, they even put one of my little guitars in their '07 Summer Jam highlights video! But I hear ya, and I'll be careful...notice I'm not using "Gibson" on the headstock!

Frank

I have been following this awesome piece of work for some time now! Do you have any clips of what they sound like? As a woodworker myself, I can compliment you on a truly outstanding job!

TNuT
    I can't find my way home

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor_Nut View Post
    I have been following this awesome piece of work for some time now! Do you have any clips of what they sound like? As a woodworker myself, I can compliment you on a truly outstanding job!

TNuT
    Thanks TNuT! At Jimmy Murray's jam in April, Nick Morgan (nmguitars) played it for a whole set, and I believe the whole thing was videotaped. I'm going to try and get a copy of that video and post some highlights from it. Plus, I hope to have one of these guitars in Matte Henderson's hands within the next few weeks, and you better believe we'll be hearing some awesome clips from him once that happens.

We all know Nick from the LPF Jam Zone! Do we think the video may appear on youtube soon? All in all, building a guitar from scratch has alway been a pipe dream of mine...inlays and all!

TNuT
    I can't find my way home

Sorry guys - I know I'm way behind on getting that video from the jam into the computer and editing (I have like 8 hours of tape to go thru). Anyway, the new job has settled into a better routine and things are getting less crazy around here so that is getting closer to the top of my "to do" stack once again. I'll let you all know when I have a DVD ready.
    MMCQUAIN * Rock, Blues, Christian player * mmcquain@mcquain.com
    Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute, Breedlove Acoustic/Electric
    Egnater, Dean Markley, D'Addario, various effect pedals
    http://www.youtube.com/mmcquain * http://www.facebook.com/mmcquain

Hey Frank. Speaking of mini-Pauls, how about mini-Birds.

Have you seen this?
    http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/sh...9&postcount=83

See you in Nashville!
    "... just a regular sunburst Les Paul that I bought in one of the shops in London ... " - EC

Well, I finally got around to finishing up this puppy last week (Octave Guitar #3). I had to wait a month for the lacquer to dry, and then illness struck, forcing me to be sidelined for a few additional weeks. Anyway, here is the finished product...I hope you like it!

And here's an indoor shot to show how dramatically different this peek-a-boo flame can look under different lighting conditions:

05hummer

Quote Originally Posted by pinefd View Post
    Well, I finally got around to finishing up this puppy last week (Octave Guitar #3). I had to wait a month for the lacquer to dry, and then illness struck, forcing me to be sidelined for a few additional weeks. Anyway, here is the finished product...I hope you like it!

And here's an indoor shot to show how dramatically different this peek-a-boo flame can look under different lighting conditions:

Absolutely stunning...

Hi guys...I finally got this guitar into Matte's hands two weeks ago, and I think he likes it. Here's what he had to say about it on another forum: "this guitar is unbelievable! nashville high string to true violin tone shred. frank pine is a genius! 14.5" scale length. astounding attention to the most minute detail. i've been after this guitar for nearly 28 years. frank nailed it. brazilian board, correct inlay materials, effortless playability." Thanks Matte!

And for those of you who've been asking for a clip, here's a brief clip of Matte playing the above octave guitar through a Smith Custom Amplifiers 25 Watt head: http://www.mattemusic.com/smith8valester.aif
    The clip shows two very different sides of this guitar's personality, with the first half being nice and clean, and the second half...well, not so.

It's very cool to hear this little thing in the hands of a professional (please kids, don't try this at home)! I only wish I had a clip of Nick playing one of these at the last Greensboro jam. That was awesome too! (maybe someday Mike)

I hope you like it!

Frank

Les Paul Forum Member The Shifter's Avatar

God I want one of these. I mean, just off the charts cool.

The pictures above look like a listing from Mark's Guitar Loft, but if he only sold to tiny guitar players!

Thanks Shifter! And thanks for the photo compliment too...Mark does take some great photos, and I get tips from him just about every time I visit him.

BTW, I hope to get some additional clips sometime soon.

Frank

Wow. Words cannot express how awesome your work is. Your passion for les pauls is second to none... I really wish I had one like it...Sometimes the full-sized buggers are bulky...

Quote Originally Posted by P.Walker View Post
    Wow. Words cannot express how awesome your work is. Your passion for les pauls is second to none... I really wish I had one like it...Sometimes the full-sized buggers are bulky...
    Thanks P.! I appreciate the kind words..."passion" you say? Some might call it an obsession (my wife sure does)!