NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Les Paul Forum Member andreja marovic's Avatar
    Everybody knows this is nowhere....in the good old Serbia

Re: Official CS-356 and 336 Registry (post your pics here)

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarstan View Post
    My 2007 336 :

Always loved the simplicity and beauty of the cherry red finish in 335 looks.
    Beautiful guitar...not to fancy just what it needs to make the hair on the chest rise.....
    Turn it louder please...
    Hendrix is God on guitar.

Les Paul Forum Member Gitfiddler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jb_abides View Post
    I may try some of those Amber Vintage ones for a spell...

Did someone say they wanted to see more Amber Vintage knobs?

Gitfiddler

Les Paul Forum Member teddy boy's Avatar

Great thread!

I'll have to post my new purchase, an 04 Wildwood Honeyburst 356 a.s.a.p.!
    "and in the land of star-crossed lovers and barren-hearted wanderers, forever lost in forsaken missives and satan's pull, we seek the unseekable and we speak the unspeakable"

www.daisyband.com
    www.myspace.com/daisyband

I have not had the time to make my own pictures but here are the ones that made me buy it:

I have changed the tailpiece to an Gibson aluminum one and added thumb slicers to the control knobs. I love to customize my guitars and my Les Paul gave me much room for upgrades but this CS-336 was almost perfect from the start. I will post detailed pics as soon as I find the time to make them but so far, playing this 336 keeps me busy
    Take Care and rock on,

LostDog

The blues ain't nothing but a good man feelin' bad...

Les Paul Forum Member generankin's Avatar

My daughter has just decided she wants to go to Miami University - which costs more than 2X as much as the University of Wisconsin. Some things have to be sold, and chief among them are an old masters painting and a gorgeous Italian motorcycle (a Bimota db-2). The CS 356 CA Stinger might also go on the block, but I have not a clue what I should ask for it, should I actually put it on the market. Any ideas?
    9 0622

Les Paul Forum Member clayville's Avatar

C'mon Gene... you can convince her she's a Badger at heart!

Tough call. Doesn't seem like a great market for getting full value (whatever that might be) out of anything a little non-standard and unfamiliar like these are. A lot of these seem to be going unsold at the buy-it-now or reserve price on the 'bay this year (336's too, for that matter) -- but I don't study it that closely. Personally, I think the new 339's have undermined the number of available buyers in a "I think I'll try this instead -- it seems like such a bargain" kind of way. I'm not so sure the market is capable of recognizing the premium paid new for a 356 over a 336, or for the fat neck (at the time), or for the CA treatment, or the Stinger designation. A lot of "inside baseball" upticks at once, if you see what I'm saying. I'd hate to see it go at Fire Sale rates...

Gene~ Hope you can keep your CS356. They are truly special guitars. I too believe that the introduction of the lower priced, and totally different 339 has diluted the market for reasons stated by Clayville.

If you are looking for possible pricing, these 'dealer' listings might help give a starting point...

http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/Gea...+cs356&Track=Y

Good luck!
    Gitfiddler

Quote Originally Posted by teddy boy View Post
    Great thread! I'll have to post my new purchase, an 04 Wildwood Honeyburst 356 a.s.a.p.!
    Please post those pics... I too have a 2004 Honeyburst Wildwood Edition 356 and I love it. They are fairly rare (only 40 made IIRC). Did you happen to get the one that was on eBay a while back?
    MMCQUAIN * Rock, Blues, Christian player * mmcquain@mcquain.com
    Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute, Breedlove Acoustic/Electric
    Egnater, Dean Markley, D'Addario, various effect pedals
    http://www.youtube.com/mmcquain * http://www.facebook.com/mmcquain

hey mmcquain,

Still haven't got around to taking pictures! Been too busy playing it. I've been really pleased with it. What a great guitar! I'll post the pics soon!

Nope,didn't get this off ebay...
    "and in the land of star-crossed lovers and barren-hearted wanderers, forever lost in forsaken missives and satan's pull, we seek the unseekable and we speak the unspeakable"

www.daisyband.com

Les Paul Forum Member generankin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler View Post
    Gene~ Hope you can keep your CS356. They are truly special guitars. I too believe that the introduction of the lower priced, and totally different 339 has diluted the market for reasons stated by Clayville.

If you are looking for possible pricing, these 'dealer' listings might help give a starting point...

http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/Gea...+cs356&Track=Y

Good luck!
    Useful info ... and maybe I won't have to sell anything quite yet. We can maybe cover tuition etc. (and there's a lot of "etc.") for a couple of years. The picture is going to go, as Olde Stuff seems to do well in a falling stock market (and I am not in love with it), and the Bimota has so extreme a riding position that it hurts my aging neck & wrists that it oughta find a new home ... but it is a wierdo among bikes as my 356 is among guitars (as Clayville quite accurately pointed out), such that a buyer isn't hiding around every corner.

So I think the 356 just might stay in the house a bit longer.
    9 0622

Les Paul Forum Member

Clarification please. On the Gibson website they list only two colors for the 356: faded cherry and sunburst. Yet I am seeing various other colors of 356 here. Are these special production runs, special orders, or what? And how did 356 owners know about these other colors?

Quote Originally Posted by SSSGGG View Post
    Clarification please. On the Gibson website they list only two colors for the 356: faded cherry and sunburst. Yet I am seeing various other colors of 356 here. Are these special production runs, special orders, or what? And how did 356 owners know about these other colors?
    Yes, they are special runs. For example, my CS356 is a "Wildwood Edition", which is part of a limited run of 40 guitars in honeyburst that Wildwood Guitars in CO (FYI - they're a forum dealer and gret to deal with) special ordered back in 2004. I got it from another LPF member via eBay. I'm not sure if he was the original owner from Wildwood or what.

I know that Saul at Centre City Music (another great forum dealer) has done a couple of special orders of the CS336 in Koa and also a run of blue flametops. And on his web site there is a picture of Tommy Shaw (Styx) with a really sweet looking CS356 in blue flametop (also purchased from Saul IIRC).

The trick is to talk to some of the big Custom Shop dealers (Wildwood, Centre City, Matt's Music, etc.) and let them know what you are looking for. Also, ask them if they are doing (or have done) any special runs in different tops, etc. They may be able to get something done from the Gibson Custom Shop if they have enough interest in it. I think the current minimum with Gibson is an order of 25 or more for a special run.

Also keep watching eBay and talk to other forum members since we may run across things from time to time. I personally would be glad to let you know if I see something in particular that you may be looking for if you want to drop me a line with details and how to reach you. Good luck finding what you want...

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mmcquain View Post
    Good luck finding what you want...
    Thanks for the info. I am not necessarily looking for a special production one, just curious why there are other colors than what is listed by Gibson.

Long story short, I bought mine new from a special run done for Music Machine (another forum dealer that was great to deal with) back in 2003 -- before Gibson forbid almost all dealers from showing individual guitars online. Back in the day (i.e. before about 2004-5) many dealers with technical savvy and marketing expertise would showcase guitars on their websites, ordering up large batches of special runs and custom colors to distinguish themselves in the online marketplace.

Selling online all over the world -- or even across town for that matter -- undermines the territorial exclusivity that Gibson grants to its dealers (in Gibson's mind and in the minds of the dealers losing business to online sales that parachute into "their" territory, or so the argument goes I believe). Wildwood's current website (Gibson approved) is what the sites of half a dozen or more dealers looked like five years ago. Some of those dealers stopped selling Gibsons entirely (or for a while) when the "no individual guitars" policy was instigated.

Many LPF members will tell you that they fell in love with the look of an individual guitar and bought while surfing online and as a consequence have bought more guitars than they otherwise might have.

In the case of my CS-356 (a fairly new guitar design at the time), after lots of real world legwork I could find only a single example (a 336) within 200 miles of my home in Boston. So I bought it online from Washington State. If I couldn't at least have seen it, I never would have done it... and couldn't be happier that I did.

A search on "policy" will probably turn up lots of rants on this online pictures topic...

Selling online all over the world -- or even across town for that matter -- undermines the territorial exclusivity that Gibson grants to its dealers (in Gibson's mind and in the minds of the dealers losing business to online sales that parachute into "their" territory, or so the argument goes I believe).
    That argument unfortunately is still in use - although you will find much more online dealers showing all their current Gibson inventory then some time ago - they are not allowed to ship outside the U.S. When I was looking for a new 336, there were only two available in my country, both priced double as much as the US street price. And of course, in the U.S. there were so many wonderful looking 336s available - but not for export.

Fortunately I found a used one in mint condition in the U.S. as at least for the time being the export of used Gibsons from the U.S. is unrestricted....
    Take Care and rock on,

LostDog

Hey you CS-336/356 fans -- have a look at Jon Herrington playing Peg with Steely Dan:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkENeuzVtUM

Looks to be a mighty fine CS-336.

At least JB Abides faces the "right" way

It's upside down and backwards!

Quote Originally Posted by clayville View Post
    Hey you CS-336/356 fans -- have a look at Jon Herrington playing Peg with Steely Dan:

Herrington would sound great on a cigar box strung with rubber bands!

I once heard him on a 335 and could swear I saw smoke coming out of the F-holes during one of his solos.
    Gitfiddler

Les Paul Forum Member stevieboy's Avatar

Don't want to over "hype" my guitar, as I had a recent thread about it, but this is the Official Registry, after all, so I'll take this opportunity add my new ebony CS-336.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    At least JB Abides faces the "right" way

Sweet, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by stevieboy View Post
    Don't want to over "hype" my guitar, as I had a recent thread about it, but this is the Official Registry, after all, so I'll take this opportunity add my new ebony CS-336.

No hype - all black is badazz

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by clayville View Post

Did you notice that he had it re-wired to place a volume control where the toggle switch was and put the toggle where a dial was?
    On s'électrise:
    Tension maximale
    Les corps-circuits...
    De deux amants
    On s'illumine
    Lumière animale
    L'école de l'é...
    ...lectro-aimant.
    La France a les plus belles femmes, le pays et la culture sur la planète. Personne ne peut correspondre à la beauté d'Alizée.

Wow! I sure didn't! Good catch.

Pretty interesting idea -- a bit like flipping the plate on a Tele for easier pinky volume swells.

Check this out. I've never seen a goldtop CS-336 before, other than the Kiefer model. This is apparently a one-off made before the Kiefer model. It's currently on eBay (I'm not affilitiated with the auction in any way, I posted the link in the Baywatch section). It looks really nice.

Les Paul Forum Member

i've got some pics of my 336 i'd like to post, but can't work out how... could someone help me out? (sorry if this question has been asked a million times before). my pics haven't got a url (as far as i know), they're on my hard drive - just can't work out how to copy them from my hard drive to this forum

Quote Originally Posted by max6 View Post
    i've got some pics of my 336 i'd like to post, but can't work out how... could someone help me out? (sorry if this question has been asked a million times before). my pics haven't got a url (as far as i know), they're on my hard drive - just can't work out how to copy them from my hard drive to this forum
    You need to get them "hosted" (put on a web server) some place so they "have a URL" since the forum posting is really just pointing to the pictures on some other web server (i.e., the forum server doesn't actually hold the pic, just the link to it).

Anyway, there are some free hosting sites (do a Google search for photo or picture hosting). Flickr and some others seem to be popular.

In the meantime, if you email me the pics I can host a few for you on my own web server and I'll send you the URL so you can then post the pics in any forum threads you'd like. Please note that my email won't take really big messages so you may want to send the pics in separate emails (or maybe do 2 pics per email).

Let me know if I can be of any more help.

Les Paul Forum Member

thanks a lot mmcquain, think i've got it sorted now. here's my 2007 figured CS-336. I've been meaning to post pics for a while, since it was from this forum that i got a lot of useful info/opinions on the guitar before deciding to buy it. i'm delighted with it, my only quibble being that mine seems to take a while to stay in tune, having tuned it. hope you like it...

That is a great looking guitar... congrats!!
    As for the "stay in tune" thing, I've had similar problems with mine sometimes when I take it from home to church. At first I thought it might be the nut binding but I've had that checked. I think it is just the difference in temperature and my 356 seems to be very picky about that and tuning. Oh well, they are great guitars anyway!

Les Paul Forum Member

thanks a lot mmcquain, think i've got it sorted now. here's my 2007 figured CS-336. I've been meaning to post pics for a while, since it was from this forum that i got a lot of useful info/opinions on the guitar before deciding to buy it. i'm delighted with it, my only quibble being that mine seems to take a while to stay in tune, having tuned it. hope you like it...

Nice color and top wood. It looks kind of as a Brockburst!
    Did it come stock with that CS 356 pickguard?

I've had two CS 336's, both cherry with great tops and one had a 30 thousandths over neck from a run by Wildwood.

As for CS 356's, I've had four: two cherry ones, one being with a 30 over neck, one of the 40 produced from that bursted special ED Wilson run for Wildwood with a 59 neck profile, and finally the keeper and best sounding of them all, the first blonde with a 59 neck profile.
    On s'électrise:
    Tension maximale
    Les corps-circuits...
    De deux amants
    On s'illumine
    Lumière animale
    L'école de l'é...
    ...lectro-aimant.
    La France a les plus belles femmes, le pays et la culture sur la planète. Personne ne peut correspondre à la beauté d'Alizée.

Gents,

Sorry, still haven't posted a pic of my Wildwood burst 356! A.S.A.P. I promise.

Anyways, anybody swapped pickups on their 356? What did you swap for? And why?

www.daisyband.com

Les Paul Forum Member

Thanks C-2, yeah I love the finish and the flame in particular, though the pics don't do either of them justice! No I bought the pickguard off ebay before I even received the guitar. I don't know why they're not stock, though, they look so much better than the plain black ones.

You don't seem to have posted any pics of your blonde...

Quote Originally Posted by teddy boy View Post
    Gents, Sorry, still haven't posted a pic of my Wildwood burst 356! A.S.A.P. I promise. Anyways, anybody swapped pickups on their 356? What did you swap for? And why?
    Please do post those pics... I'm waiting to see how your Wildwood looks compared to mine.

Nope, never swapped the pups as I love the Classic 57's just the way they are.

Les Paul Forum Member

You don't seem to have posted any pics of your blonde...
    Here is the shot from Wildwood. Since I don't own a camera that is worth a shit, I have not taken pictures of my other guitars, but I have included one with the first Calton case which was built specifically for these guitars. The top is exceptionally 3-D and truly amazing, compared to the other CS336's and 356's I have owned, and they had great tops. However, it's the tone that made me decide to keep this particular one. Way beyond my other CS's.

On s'électrise:
    Tension maximale
    Les corps-circuits...
    De deux amants
    On s'illumine
    Lumière animale
    L'école de l'é...
    ...lectro-aimant.

Great looking guitar you've got there C-4

Les Paul Forum Member

Very nice guitar C-4. I saw Wildwood had a new run of natural 356's like that early this year which I had my eye on, but didn't/don't have the cash... I want to track down a framus mayfield and see how it compares to my 336 - they have a very similar look (I think the Framus is a little bigger)

Les Paul Forum Member

Thank you guys for the compliments.
    Yes, I saw most of the entire run of the new blonde CS-356's Wildwood had, but they have a standard slim 60's neck profile, whereas mine has a '59 neck profile.
    On s'électrise:
    Tension maximale
    Les corps-circuits...
    De deux amants
    On s'illumine
    Lumière animale
    L'école de l'é...
    ...lectro-aimant.

So finally I found some time to make some pictures of CS60799, my 2006 vintage sunburst CS-336:

Hope you like her as much as I do...
    Take Care and rock on,

LostDog

Real nice shots with the shallow depth of field focus going on...

Les Paul Forum Member slidejules's Avatar

My god there are some sexy guitars in this thread. I'm a sucker for 336s, I love mine so much it hurts. I'm 5"10' and this is just the perfect guitar for me. Lighter than my LP, smaller than the 335, it's spot on. :-)

Am I the only one to take the scratchplate off tho'?

cya,

Jules

ps I bought mine used at the back end of 2005. The serial number is C820664 - I have no idea what year that equates to though! Anyone know?

My 356 is from a special run done for Music Machine's Stinger series in 2003 -- quilt top, stinger on the back of the headstock. It came with the pickguard in the case pocket, giving me the option of installing it or not. I didn't, and haven't... so no holes as yet, and very little evidence in the finish indicating that I should have despite five years of almost daily (if careful) use.

On your serial number, the nomenclature I'm familiar with has these serials starting with CS, with the first number after designating the year and then the numbers after being the sequential numbers of that model from that year... so if your '8' is actually an 'S', then yours is the 664th made in 2002. And it's a beauty!
    Last edited by clayville; 07-21-08 at 08:51 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast