• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Official CS-356 and 336 Registry (post your pics here)

mmcquain

Does anybody know if Gibson has ever offered the 356 in blue
(other than the custom one Tommy Shaw of Styx got from Saul
at Centre City Music)? I know they've done the 336 in blue but
Tommy's is the only 356 I've ever seen.

TommyShaw_Blue-356.jpg

Saul_336_71196.jpg

23miles

Did Gibson ever do the 356 in alpine white?

That is what I'm waiting for!

Phil :jim

I believe they did. When I was ordering mine in 2003, Gibson had a feature called Custom Select where they would email the dealer factory shots of available guitars. I seem to recall seeing some painted ones including white and a couple of mint green (Pelham Blue?) 336s.

mmcquain

I believe they did. When I was ordering mine in 2003, Gibson had a feature called Custom Select where they would email the dealer factory shots of available guitars. I seem to recall seeing some painted ones including white and a couple of mint green (Pelham Blue?) 336s.

Would this happen to be the white one you were talking about?

10th_Anniv_CS-356.jpg

veldt666

Sorry, if this appears like a "Hijack", but I also own a CS356, & was wondering if anyone had experimented a bit with various pick ups in these great guitars?

I'm considering trying some P90 sizes humbuckers, just for a change.
Anyone else tried this?

Rare Form

Would this happen to be the white one you were talking about?

Yeah Mike, that one was the 10 year anniversary with the gold fleck in the paint. What a beauty. I think they went for about $9-10K didn't they? It would be nice if they just did a regular 356 in Alpine white without all the extra-eh?

I will probably be dropping out of the 356 club since I had sold mine a while ago and was very close to getting another, but I took the plunge and actually got a ES 335 Historic Block Reissue in Ebony from Saul. It should be here on Tuesday. I'll post some pics in another thread when it arrives.

mmcquain

RareForm - Congrats on the new purchase! I look forward to seeing your pics. As for the 356 "club" :) that just means it will be a matter of time and then the GAS pains will start up again and you'll be back in the club before you know it!!!

clayville

Sorry, if this appears like a "Hijack", but I also own a CS356, & was wondering if anyone had experimented a bit with various pick ups in these great guitars?

I'm considering trying some P90 sizes humbuckers, just for a change.
Anyone else tried this?

Mine is still stock, but TomGuitar and Cogswell have both swapped out pickups and perhaps the harness and pots as I recall. I believe both used custom-maker humbuckers rather than a humbucker-sized P90...

(urlym@ple

Mine is still stock, but TomGuitar and Cogswell have both swapped out pickups and perhaps the harness and pots as I recall. I believe both used custom-maker humbuckers rather than a humbucker-sized P90...

Pulled out the old RS kit (kept the hovland caps & 57 pups) and put in their super pots and wired it w/50s wiring (it was wiredblck rose). I like it better, tone & clarity is more open, great woody tone, totally diggin it.

Everything has to go in the bridge pup as the f hole isn't big enough (on this guitar) and I kind of make the harness a bit thigter (caps so loose makes that thump noise inside when I move around) ... Only took me two hours for the whole job.

I can say that it felt like a totally diff guitar... In a good way, the way I like it to sound! Volume & tone works as it should even at 2 the volume is clean & loud enough for rythym, it's just sweet!

What type/kind of wiring 356 came in stock?

R

RayG

WOW! Really nice, where did you come across that one?
Good story that. Have been playing since '67 thanks to my Dad and loved the hollow body sounds ever since. I went looking for a 335 after a 2003 year end bonus came in . Made the rounds in NYC after work, but could not find one for me.

Finally went to the Music Zoo then located in Queens. Played a few 335s but then was told to wait, they had something special for me to see. The Zoo had ordered a 10 piece run of natural 356s and had four left. Talk about being overwhelmed. I didn't even know they made a guitar like it at the time. They were a few more $$$ then I had intended to spend and I have always been adverse to gold hardware, but they all looked so damn perfect.

I had about an hour till closing, but the salesman put me in a private room with a twin reverb, all four 356s and waited me out. It was kinda like the movie "Sophie's Choice".

About two hours later, my search complete, I took home my first Gibson guitar at a reasonable price . I really does it all. The size, weight and tones available are perfect for me. The only thing I have changed is added straplocks.

When my father (he's 86 now) played it for the first time he actually cried. I have that memory now whenever I open the case. Priceless.....

Regards--------------

GibsonCS-356.jpg