• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Official CS-356 and 336 Registry (post your pics here)

Danny W.

It must be time for me to post this again:

4415b79e.jpg

Danny W.

Dan Silverman

Holy Shit! I thought I was bad, two 356's and one Johnny A!!!
Those are beautiful! Well, I guess I better do a group pic. Soon not now.

mmcquain

Great pic Danny.

'Er skamokawa you better count again.. that is two 356's and two (not one) Johnny A's plus a ____ (what is that? At first I thought 355 but the headstock inlay isn't the normal split diamond).

And RayG that is a great story... and a great memory to have of your dad! CONGRATS!!!

Danny W.

Great pic Danny.

(what is that? At first I thought 355 but the headstock inlay isn't the normal split diamond).

355L-51_zps8ca8a40d.jpg

It's an ES-355 body with an L-5S board and headstock inlay. In the late '50's Gibson product demonstrator Andy Nelson had what might have been a prototype of a similar guitar, although that one was cherry red, and I always wanted one. I submitted perhaps twenty requests to Gibson over the years to make me one and in 1994 they finally agreed to do that. It's a fabulous guitar, but unfortunately too heavy for me to enjoy playing in my old age.

Edit: Here's the Andy Nelson ad:

http://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/adDetails/230

Sorry for the thread hijack--now back to the the intended topic.

Danny W.

Last edited:

mmcquain

Thanks for the info on that sweet looking guitar. No worries about sidetracking this thread as I think we can pause for a few minutes for such a nice guitar. You said it is too heavy for you these days... what does it weigh? Those semihollow guitars generally are less than a Les Paul.

Danny W.

Thanks for the info on that sweet looking guitar. No worries about sidetracking this thread as I think we can pause for a few minutes for such a nice guitar. You said it is too heavy for you these days... what does it weigh? Those semihollow guitars generally are less than a Les Paul.

It's a little shy of nine pounds, but my Johnny A's weigh about six and a half, so they're my choice these days for standup gigs. It's kind of too bad, because the 355/L-5 is just an amazing instrument and I'd love to play it more often.

Danny W.

mmcquain

Sweet guitar and thanks for the pic with the pickup pulled. I've never done that to mine so nice to see the 'innards of a 356 :)

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
captaincanada- that's a beautiful 336! Got any bigger/closer pics of the top?

tangerine

Sweet guitar and thanks for the pic with the pickup pulled. I've never done that to mine so nice to see the 'innards of a 356 :)

they had to cut a large hole out of the block (but only on one side) to get the electronics in - due to the tiny f-holes of course. Unlike a lot of 335's that had the block cut in half (after about '63 more common it seems), at least this block is still connected in the best possible way - the block and the back are just one piece of wood :salude

DanD

Heres mine, its a ES not CS 336..you really cant tell from the bad pic but it has the strait pull headstock.

100_0186.jpg

ead
Nice. I like this model with the straight pull head and roomier cutaways. :dude: