• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Year-by-Year History of the Historic Les Paul Collection

BLUESKYZ

Les Paul Forum Member, Formerly loudiv
You guys got real honest-to-goodness COA's from '97?
Not the 'Historic Collection' 3-page foldout thingy I have, also 97? (which is not a COA as such)
:] Fish

My '60 RI has a COA signed by Tom Murphy. Not sure how many COA's there are from that early on? Has anyone seen one earlier or around the same period?

BTW interesting thread...............................................

Last edited:

Zoomer

Zoomer

Les Paul Historic Collection Chronicle

I don't see it and I don't know if it was mentioned but both my 1995 R9's have yellowed/aged binding on them my 1997 does not.

:2zone,

Zoomer

Last edited:

guitarvoodoo

Formerly fishnose, Les Paul Forum Member
My '97 R0 has very nicely yellowed bindings all the way round. December '97.
BTW, do you really have to quote the whole list? Makes for a lot of loooooong posts, quite unnecessarily.

Zoomer

My '97 R0 has very nicely yellowed bindings all the way round. December '97.
BTW, do you really have to quote the whole list? Makes for a lot of loooooong posts, quite unnecessarily.

No I fixed it :wah

I just realized my 1997 is an R8 - so maybe they just did it on R9's

trendkiller

Hi.
Great tread with useful info!
Long time since I posted here....

Question: Are all '99 LP '59 Reissues the 40th ann models???

My own '99 LP '59 (with original PAF's) is not a Murphy, and without a COA
as well. There seems to be a bit confusion.....
As far as I know, all the '59 Reissues from 1999 are 40th ann.models.
Murphy or not.

Any comments?
Thanks!

2B

kink56

Les Paul Froum Member
certainly non Murphy 1999 R9s are 40ths, that is a FACT. But there are some that say not all 1999 R9s are 40ths, I tend to disagree with this.

andreja marovic

One question:
I own a 06 or 07 R0 ( not sure have to look again).
Fantastic burst color very lightweight with a eastern maple top.
Now: the guitar came with tone and volume controls without the pointers.
Is this possible that it came from the factory this way???

andreja marovic

One question:
I own a 06 or 07 R0 ( not sure have to look again).
Fantastic burst color very lightweight with a eastern maple top.
Now: the guitar came with tone and volume controls without the pointers.
Is this possible that it came from the factory this way???

:hmm One more thing, almost forgot...
" the tuners are single ring and not double rings as they should have been".

comments....:2zone

plaintop60

Are you SURE your Y2K does NOT have tortoise? Both my 99s did! Sometimes you have to shine a VERY bright light to see any red or brown!! Many LOOK black with normal light!

+1 I'd even say more of them look black than obviously tortise colored. A bright light reveals the true color.

guitarvoodoo

the tuners are single ring and not double rings as they should have been

No. The '60 only had double rings in the later part of the year, so single ring is just as correct as double ring for a '60 - and therefore for a R0 as well. And Gibson decided to use singles.

I had singles on my R0 too of course, but I replaced them since I much prefer doubles, personally.

And it didn't have pointers - I put some on myself.
However I'm almost certain the previous owner took them off, because the model should have them on.

andreja marovic

No. The '60 only had double rings in the later part of the year, so single ring is just as correct as double ring for a '60 - and therefore for a R0 as well. And Gibson decided to use singles.

I had singles on my R0 too of course, but I replaced them since I much prefer doubles, personally.

And it didn't have pointers - I put some on myself.
However I'm almost certain the previous owner took them off, because the model should have them on.

:wow I don't think so.I believe the guitars came that way from the factory.
No pointers, with single ring tuners.If your came also that way, then there is no doubt that it came out from Gibson as this.
I am very happy with this particular guitar.Lightweight 8.6lbs.One of the best reissues I ever played / owned.The maple is amazing (Easter BTW) and the color is super sexy....king of orange (bright) burst.And the most important is that guitar sings....as should.:jaw :salude
You can see it in the Reissue Registry that Hoss manage.

Now....What about your R0? any pics of that beast?
do this now 10 - 12 years old guitars ...sound better to to you than the recent ones?something tells me that they are more mature now after spending all this time strung and played.

:headbange Andreja

guitarvoodoo

Andreja, my R0 is in my new avatar :ganz

I'm afraid I have very little to compare with - I'm lefty, so there are SO few guitars around I can play. If I walk into a shop with 200 guitars on the walls, I'm lucky if they have ONE that is lefty - and it will most likely be a Mexican F***** :rolleyes:
I probably have the only R0 lefty in Sweden, lol.

jrock1

I checked with Gibson and there is no difference in the mahogony used in '07 then previous years. I believe the reference to Honduran in '07 is wrong per my checking with Gibson.

plonky17

I have a question on my Black Beauty.

I bought this guitar in 1992, brand new, from the Australian Importer (Dynamic Music).

It is a 1957 LPC '57 Black Beauty Reissue with two pickups.

I confirmed with Gibson that it is solid mahogany with mahogany cap, 2 x 57 Classic PU's, Gold plated hardware, Grover Machine heads, aged binding and came with brown case and pink lining.

The serial number is screen printed in gold on the back of the headstock.

The number is 2 2##2

I was reading in this thread that the Historic/Custom shop guitars start their numbering with the year.

My guitar starts with the manufactured Year and not the reissue Year.

Any ideas? I am assuming that my guitar is numbered the way it is due to the way that Gibson started with their reissue series before going to a stand alone Historic series.

By the way it is an incredible sounding guitar and It seems to have been built when Gibson had impeccable QC and a real passion for market leadership.

Thanks

Grant

kink56

Les Paul Froum Member
The Historic Reissue SN sequence did not start until mid 1993, with the long tenon versions of the Reissues. Customs are a mystery to me, I have seen them well into the 90s with the SN style yours has, (year of manufacture, like the Classics do) running concurrently with the Historic style serial numbers.

plonky17

The Historic Reissue SN sequence did not start until mid 1993, with the long tenon versions of the Reissues. Customs are a mystery to me, I have seen them well into the 90s with the SN style yours has, (year of manufacture, like the Classics do) running concurrently with the Historic style serial numbers.

Thanks for the info.

Appreciate it.

Grant

George H

Great thread w/ some great info.

How does one determine if their 02 R7 has Burstbuckers or 57Classics?

George