• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Best instructional DVD for Scofield/Carlton-esque jazz funk..

Jumping@Shadows

Hi y'all, im being asked for my Christmas list and top of the stack (right near the Pigtail LP Junior bridge and a 50s dog ear P-90) is some kind of insightful and well produced instructional DVD to get me into the ideas/flavours of these kind of guys..
I was looking at the John Scofield Jazz Funk Guitar DVD but it doesnt seem so 'instructional', more a view into the jamming band and the 'sound' of his style etc..
Im pretty conversant with my modes and some simple bar-hack fusion concepts and i can read music pretty good, so what can you recommend?
Thanks all, and happy holidays.

riscado

Hi, first off, I will start by adding that I am not that versed when it comes to anything related to jazz, my favorite type of jazz is the one mr. wes montgomery put down on his guitar, but I also like larry carlton... and even though I apreciate scofield I don't find myself listening that much to him...

The reason I replied to your topic is because I think the type of jazz scofield plays is worlds apart from the type carlton plays, so maybe you should get two instructional dvds rather than one, IMHO.

Scofield had a really good video (don't know if it ever came out in DVD), but I downloaded it a couple of years ago and I remember it was better than his funk guitar DVD (which was more a performance than a tutorial), this video had him and another player play modes over chords for an audience of music students, and the people in the audience would even ask their own questions, so if you can find that one (sorry I don't remember the name) I'd say it's the one to go. I remember he covered all the major modes and minor ones too, along with some other exotic, yet well know scales, and also mentioned the chords and progressions typical for their use.

The main thing in learning to play this type of music, once you know the theory (remember this is just an opinion, as I don't play this type of music) is that you need to hear it over and over and over until it sticks in your ear, because it's so different from what most people are used to, that it's almost like learning a new language, your ear must be used to it, before you can speak it fluently.

have a nice christmas