• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

When, datewise, did Norlin buy Gibson?????????

vintage58

You Light Up My Life - Debby Boone
That's Rock 'n' Roll - Shaun Cassidy
Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast - Wayne Newton
The Candy Man - Sammy Davis Jr
Let Your Love Flow - the Bellamy Brothers
Kiss You All Over - Exile
December 1963 (Oh What a Night) - the Four Seasons
My Melody of Love - Bobby Vinton
Burning Bridges - the Mike Curb Congregation
Different Worlds - Maureen McGovern

I think those will suffice. I don't know about other planets.
Fair enough. But every decade has its share of "Achy Breaky Hearts," and the amount of truly great music from the 1970s clearly outweighs (by far, at that) whatever cheesy pop songs the decade may have produced—certainly to the point of rendering the 1970s almost completely ineligible for "bad music as one of its hallmarks" status.

Such status would, I think, be way more rightfully conferred upon the 1990s and the 2000s. Now there are a couple of decades with some positively terrible music! You listed ten 1970s songs that you view as awful, right? Well, I think it might be an infinitely more telling process to try to list the truly great songs of a particular decade. You would need a lot of looseleaf to do that for the 1970s! But go ahead and try to list ten great songs of the 1990s and the 2000s. You'll then see what it really means for a decade to have bad music as one of its hallmarks.

lpdeluxe

Name a few....

I'm curious. In the '70s (and the '80s and continuing, for that matter) my crowd mostly listened to '60s music.:wah

1954Gold

The negative comments about MBAs are unwarranted. The curriculum of an MBA is designed to teach a student how to run a company. To run any company effectively, and specifically a fairly large company, you damn well better have an absolute handle on finance and accounting, because without it, you'll soon be out of business. Once you're out of business there won't be any guitars made, pancake bodies or otherwise.

A= L+OE is fully covered at the undergrad level and doesn't change after BA graduation. Today's MBA is focused on financial management and/or "marketing", not manufacturing. Quarter- to-quarter bean counter cost cutting has destroyed vibrant firms and resulted in outsourcing. Take Lionel as a case study of what lawyers and MBAs can and will do to a company.

mlongano

A= L+OE is fully covered at the undergrad level and doesn't change after BA graduation. Today's MBA is focused on financial management and/or "marketing", not manufacturing. Quarter- to-quarter bean counter cost cutting has destroyed vibrant firms and resulted in outsourcing. Take Lionel as a case study of what lawyers and MBAs can and will do to a company.

Speaking as someone who earned an MBA through five grueling years of night school back in the seventies when you had to actually go to class to earn a degree, I object to your equating an MBA to a BBA. While it's true that A=L+OE, and that will never change, the MBA degree prepares students to run companies...BBA degrees do not. MBA programs focus on the case study method, and teach a person to think...BBA degrees do not.

To blame outsourcing on MBAs and lawyers is ridiculous. If you want to blame outsourcing on anything or anyone, blame it on the greed of the stockholders who demand ever higher rates of return on their investments, and whose idea of long term is next month.

Blame outsourcing on the fact that the United States is now part of a global economy, and cannot compete effectively with third world countries whose citizens are willing to do the same work for twenty percent of the cost of American labor.

Blame outsourcing on the demand of American workers for more and more time off from work with pay...for example...paternity leave.

Blame outsourcing on the fact that American workers like to spend a large part of their day surfing the net, instead of doing their jobs.

MBAs are professionals who know how to run companies. They are not engineers, manufacturing professionals, or shop floor supervisors, but they know when to call in expertise to help make a decision. Please don't blame MBAs for outsourcing...Sheesh!

psigh4

Name a few....

I'm curious. In the '70s (and the '80s and continuing, for that matter) my crowd mostly listened to '60s music.:wah

Every Decade (or generation) feeds off the previous and produced music that inspired guitarists of the next decade.

70s
Led Zeppelin
Lynyrd Skynyrd
AC/DC (also in the 80s)
Derek and the Dominos
Marshall Tucker Band
James Gang
Van Halen (also in the 80s)
ABB
Frank Zappa
Grateful Dead
The Eagles
Traffic (I know they started in the 60s but went into the 70s)
Kiss
Santana (multiple decades)

I could go on.

Every decade has good and bad. It was not only disco in the 70s.

I love the music of the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000s. They have all inspired generations of guitarists and all the music that came before the 50s inspired as well.:salude

lpdeluxe

LOL. Got me.

That's all pretty mainstream, and not at all what I was listening to in the '70s. I just spent a year and a half playing bass in a cover band (one of the advantages of never listening to the radio is that even the dreck is new and fresh, at least for a while) and the lead player introduced me to some of that. We were doing some Eagles, some Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Marshall Tucker as well as probably some others on the list.

But compared to the '60s, it was journeyman music: most of the bands listed there arose from the '60s innovations (power trio, notably) and I think it's safe to say that by the end of the decade music was dying out again. There's no Jimi in the '70s (or after); Fleetwood Mac, one of the most interesting bands with Peter Green, degenerated into a top-40 group; David Bromberg wasn't recording....

I could go on and on.

But you are right. There was some music in the 1970s, even if the originality had gone away.

Merry Christmas. Spent the holiday listening to hair bands or whatever. I'll be listening to my Early English Consorts.

kink56

Les Paul Froum Member
pancakes started in mid 69 with a layer right under the top. Later in the year were the full layered bodies.

Yes I am aware of the layer between the maple and the mahogany in mid 69.

Billy Porter

Speaking as someone who earned an MBA through five grueling years of night school back in the seventies when you had to actually go to class to earn a degree,

Congratulations – even if somewhat late. Thanks for the support - I knew there had to be at least one other MBA’er brave enough to ‘come out’ :applaude

I think your retorts more eloquent than I could have made. Well said :)

kink56

Les Paul Froum Member
70s
Pycho Killer
Watching the Detectives
Don't ask me Questions
Brass in Pocket
My Best Friend's Girl
Is She Really Going Out with Him?
Refuge
Walking On the Moon
One of my Submarines is Missing
O Superman
Elephant Talk
Here Comes the Flood
80s
Sweet Dreams
Once in a Lifetime
Back on the Chain Gang
In Your Eyes
Sharkey's Day
My Brain is Like a Sieve
Don't Come Around Here Nomore
Hearbeat
Shipbuilding
Walk Under Ladders
Don't You Forget About Me
Every Breath You Take
Down Under
I Scare Myself

lpdeluxe

hmmmmm...
I don't recognize a single one of those.

Must be me. I'll have to bow out of the debate.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
sex pistols,
the police.
ramones
kiss
X
genesis
kansas
boston

ambercat57

LOL. Got me.

That's all pretty mainstream, and not at all what I was listening to in the '70s. I just spent a year and a half playing bass in a cover band (one of the advantages of never listening to the radio is that even the dreck is new and fresh, at least for a while) and the lead player introduced me to some of that. We were doing some Eagles, some Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Marshall Tucker as well as probably some others on the list.

But compared to the '60s, it was journeyman music: most of the bands listed there arose from the '60s innovations (power trio, notably) and I think it's safe to say that by the end of the decade music was dying out again. There's no Jimi in the '70s (or after); Fleetwood Mac, one of the most interesting bands with Peter Green, degenerated into a top-40 group; David Bromberg wasn't recording....

I could go on and on.

But you are right. There was some music in the 1970s, even if the originality had gone away.

Merry Christmas. Spent the holiday listening to hair bands or whatever. I'll be listening to my Early English Consorts.

:bigal
Okay, NOW this thread has really become a "Back in my day..." issue.
And IMO this is the crux of the problem with debating the Les Paul quality of certain eras. No matter what, it's ALWAYS gonna be better when YOU enjoyed it the most....that goes for cars, guitars, music and girls.

Broken down into age groups, everyone decides that their era is the best, instead of realizing that the next generation hasn't necessarily been so deprived of something- that they cannot do well with what they have. In other words, "to each his own"!

I don't begrudge anyone's choice of Les Paul, no matter what age you are. I'll never lay my hands on an original '59, maybe I've missed out...but I;ve certainly enjoyed a bunch of Norlin-era Les Pauls that I've enjoyed a lot more than my newer 90's, etc.

Should it really matter more what year the Les Paul is in my hands... or that it's a freakin awesome beast that floats my boat irregardless of manufacture date?

What really gets to me is these damn 'blanket statements' like; ALL Norlins are bad, or even the ol' "MOST Norlins are bad", implying that anyone that actually plays the guitars should be derided for God-forbid actually "liking" one:wah

So if some guy would rather listen to Velvet Revolver rather than Cream, I think we should applaude that everyone's just a little different...because I know I'm a Les Paul-snob, I just don't want to force that opinion on everyone.
Nice forum, though.:)

1954Gold

Congratulations – even if somewhat late. Thanks for the support - I knew there had to be at least one other MBA’er brave enough to ‘come out’ :applaude I think your retorts more eloquent than I could have made. Well said :)

Sounds like you guys need to form a support group. Eloquent retorts? Yeah, right, academics teach you how to "run a company" and undergrad accounting doesn't teach you to think. Baloney. I guess there's no MBA fingerprints on the subprime mess either. And that is my FINAL post on this subthread.

jrr

Name a few....

uhh?...Aerosmith,Yes,Zep,Jethro Tull,Genesis,Nugent,Bowie,Rush,Styx,Saga,Mahoganey Rush....on a desert island,those bands alone would cover every conceivable music type/style....hard to find a grouping like that today...:wow

huskerdid

Norlin bought Gibson? Again? :bug

Ha! I actually made it all the way through this thread. And, interestingly enough, I didn't see any posts that said the Les Pauls sounded really crappy, didn't feel good (except heavy... but hey, what's a few ounces?), or fell apart. Actually, there was a lot of talk about structural issues in the 60s. Any thoughts on the actual sound or playability? I'm looking at an 71 LP Custom. Thanks!