The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Pick'n on a Les Paul

I want to try some picking on a Les Paul. I want try adding some bigger bends and wider vibrato.

I do pick on my 175 but it has .13 chrome flat wounds and can take the abuse but you can't bend them too much, obviously.

The .10s I normally run on my Les Pauls feel like spaghetti when I pick. I need a higher gauge yet something bendable.

Suggestions on strings?
    'then she made me play games I didn't wanna play...'
    Fer fux sake! Duane's left and Dickey's right!

Les Paul Forum Member SoloDallas's Avatar

Re: Pick'n on a Les Paul

10s might feel like spaghetti - alright - but do you get results after a while? And most importantly, are those results consistent?

I am - for example - a heavy bender/vibrato player. I use a LOT of bending and my vibrato is copied from Angus Young/Paul Kossoff styles: it is very demanding after the third one you do in a solo. I found that - playing live - my hands were gone with 10s. COuldn't play the day after. Tendinitis was there for me to remind me I had to change.

So I moved to 09s and I am not going back.

Naturally, I am not suggesting you go to 09s. But I would like to make you reflect about how much you want to do vibratos and bendings. Because if you are planning to do a lot, 10s might be your thing. Just need to get over the initial spaghetti feeling. Takes a few hours the first times you play, then you won't notice anymore, not even coming from 13s.

Do you have something of you we can hear so to better address you to strings gauges? D'Addario for example, are heavier (stiffer) than Ernie Balls. So, D'Addario 10s feel different than Ernie Balls 10s.

Just some food for thought I wanted to inspire you with, maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Triplet View Post
    The .10s I normally run on my Les Pauls feel like spaghetti when I pick. I need a higher gauge yet something bendable.

Suggestions on strings?
    Try a set of 11's... I swear by them and also do a lot of bending. I used to use 10's but switched a few years ago. I just love the extra tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas68 View Post
    10s might feel like spaghetti - alright - but do you get results after a while? And most importantly, are those results consistent?
    I can get consistent on .10s, but it takes a lot of concentration. The force of picking actually makes the notes a bit sharp because of the bend during the picking action.

I've been told more than once that proper picking action is more like plucking. I tend to squeeze towards center of hand.

I guess I really need to learn how to control this.
    'then she made me play games I didn't wanna play...'
    Fer fux sake! Duane's left and Dickey's right!

Les Paul Forum Member SoloDallas's Avatar

Heh I DO understand you lots. That's why I was asking you. See, I'm fighting myself this as well all the time. I am too at the moment, trying to go for some country style picking.
    Always trying to check what the great players used (Danny Gatton and so on).
    It says they actually used also heavier gauges at times.
    Other times, they weren't though.

So - I thought - it's me. I need to learn how to control this, I said to myself.
    Especially for, I won't be able to not bend and vibrate as well. And my hand will suffer major distress.

I'm glad we had this chat. Thanks for answering so honestly, it's appreciated.

Ciao

I also swear by 11's. For me, the extra tension helps me control the bend, making it easier to hit the desired pitch. If I play a guitar with 10s, the strings skate every which way under my fingers.

I learned the hard way to always take the time warm up your hands and wrists slowly before you get too crazy with string bending!

My opinion is that everyone has their preference, but stick with a given gauge to get consistency. I play 9 and a half's, but it has taken a while to get the muscle memory down when bending to different pitches. Now, my fingers basically know how far to go without my really thinking about it. But if I changed string gauges I'd have to re-acclimate.

I use to have that problem with my strings until I switched to
    "Jazz" strings light top heavy bottoms easy to bend without going out of tune bottom takes well to a heavy hand and pick attack and my strings last longer use to always break em right where I pick

my .02 cents