• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What's Up with the HLPDB?

jimmyace2006

Because it's the "Gear" page. Read the intro text on the page to see what it is for.

You might be looking for the HLPDB main page: Click in the menu on the right, or leave out the "/gear" in the URL or click on my signature :teeth

I know, just busting your chops brother! I see a Fender and I run screaming! LOL

hoss

The following happened to me in the last weeks and it might have an impact on the Historic Les Paul Database :dang

Guys, be careful sharing/copying photos made by a certain British rock music photographer. I recently got a cease & desist letter from his German lawyers and had to pay 300.- for two of his Jimmy Page photos I had on my webspace.

The pictures were just sitting there in my personal Jimmy Page picture folder. They were not shared by me or posted on a website. Google indexed the images and they found them, probably looking for "jimmy page photos".

Yes, I did consult with my own lawyer.

Better don't share anything you did not create yourself.
I am not sure if I (the domain owner and site hoster) am liable for uploads of copyrighted images by users.

hoss

Big update day for the HLPDB!

Many people had problems receiving emails from the site and this has been fixed.

The filter for special characters in file names (for picture uploads) has been enhanced as well.

Enjoy!

Fried okra

Big update day for the HLPDB!

Many people had problems receiving emails from the site and this has been fixed.

The filter for special characters in file names (for picture uploads) has been enhanced as well.

Enjoy!

Great news Hoss. Thanks for the update.

hoss

Hi guys,

I am sorry to inform you that I will shut down the HLPDB before May 25th 2018 due to the new European General Data Protection Regulation.

The legal hassle is too much for a private hobby project.

It has been a great time, 12 years, wow!
Thanks!

ourmaninthenorth

Hi guys,

I am sorry to inform you that I will shut down the HLPDB before May 25th 2018 due to the new European General Data Protection Regulation.

The legal hassle is too much for a private hobby project.

It has been a great time, 12 years, wow!
Thanks!

It's been a cool run Hoss...thanks a million for all your efforts over the years. I enjoyed your work.

:salude:salude

fernieite

Man, that sucks Hoss. Thanks for all your hard work over the years! :2zone

hoss

Sorry to hear that Hoss.
Yeah, man. All those private forums are shutting down around here.

While the new bill is great for personal data protection against big data companies it also kind of kills the free Internet.

T.Allen

Hoss, does the the physical location of the server come into play here? If the server was in the states, would you still be bound by the new regulations?

Fan of LP

I believe the problem is the user data. The data from the guitars themselves shouldn't be a problem, correct? Depending on the website's architecture, maybe it's possible to simply close registration (so users don't enter personal data), delete existing users and users data, and keep historiclespauls.com alive with just the guitars data and pictures?

In any case, thank you so much for all the efforts during these 12 years!

hoss

Thanks for your input guys but I am in the IT business and have LOTS of work to do to get my clients on track and compliant.

Server location does not matter, the owner of the site counts (me, in Europe).

Deleting user data would break the database, as the guitars are linked to the users' accounts. This would mean a total database overhaul and I am not willing to do that (for a site that would lose it's main function).

Also there would still be legal risk: What if there is a person on one of the pictures holding/playing a guitar? I would need proof that this person gave his "OK" to be put on the website, for the world to see.

hoss

Is there anybody here with a LAMP webspace in the US who wants to take over the HLPDB?

If you can get me DNS, FTP and SQL access I can install the site.
I will remove all copyright text from me/my company from the code and we can get the site back online.

hoss

Ladies & Gentlemen, we are live again!

An incredibly cool MLP user set up a webspace and the HLPDB is back and better than before:

• Full SSL support (https)
  • Upload size up to 1MB per photo (from 400K)
  • The site is now totally ad free, no banners, no Google tracking, no PayPal donate button
Enjoy! https://www.historiclespauls.com