• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Bassman and Peter Green

GG3

I have a book, Strange Brew: Eric Clapton and the British Blues Boom, and in it it says that Peter Green used a Fender Bassman head early on with Fleetwood Mac. Is this true? Also if I bought one could I get a nice Peter Green type blues tone?

JRW8214@AOL.COM

So far as anyone knows, Peter never used a Bassman. His amps from John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers to the end of his tenure with Fleetwood Mac were:
100 watt Marshall JTM45/100(John Mayall),
Vox AC100 head and two Vox T60 15" and 12" bass cabs(beginning of Fleetwood Mac)
Matamp Series 2000 20 watt head with 2x12 cab and Matamp Reverb unit(for studio use in the early Mac days)
Matamp GT120 head with two Matamp 2x12" cabs and the Matamp reverb unit(live rig)
'68 Fender Silverface Deluxe Reverb for studio use after him and Danny adopted the Fenders and stopped using Matamps. This is the amp he's using on the Chicago Jam sessions
'68 Fender Silverface Twin Reverb on top of a Dual Showman 2x12 cab for live work.

The Silverfaces were supposedly still on the Blackface circuit too by the way.

Hope that helps,
Jacob

marT

Pretty sure he didn't use the 100w JTM45/100 with john mayall. I thought it was just a regular JTM45.

Then again I am no expert.

JRW8214@AOL.COM

every source ive read said it was a 100 watt Marshall. and being 1966 this wouldve been the 100 watt Marshall available at the time. not to mention it sure sounds like one

Tuco

Don't know one way or the other on the 100 watt JTM while with Mayll, but if so, he certainly wasn't diming it.

JRW8214@AOL.COM

He never did dime his amps. He liked playing cleaner. The closest ive ever heard of him diming his amps is the Fenders on the Boston Tea Party albums

Roe

I have a book, Strange Brew: Eric Clapton and the British Blues Boom, and in it it says that Peter Green used a Fender Bassman head early on with Fleetwood Mac. Is this true? Also if I bought one could I get a nice Peter Green type blues tone?

the book seems to confuse green's amp with jeremy spencer's blonde fender bandmaster amp.

goldtop0

From what I've seen and read since the '70s PG used a block logo JTM45 head and a 50w head in his time with the Bluesbreakers,
it'd be interesting to know what sources have stated he used a 100w Marshall head JRW.

Roe

From what I've seen and read since the '70s PG used a block logo JTM45 head and a 50w head in his time with the Bluesbreakers,
it'd be interesting to know what sources have stated he used a 100w Marshall head JRW.

he seems to have used different jtm45s live and in the studio, but only in the early days. the alleged 100w marshall seems to be a super PA amp, not his guitar amp. Some of the super PAs were even 50w amps

IMMUSICRULZ

Peter Green used Marshall, Fender and Orange amps during the early years of Fleetwood Mac. I think most of Then Play On was on a Fender Showman amp, but Jeremy Spencer was using Fender and Marshall amps, as was Danny Kirwan. One Bob Welch joined Fleetwood Mac, he was using a Strat and a Tele through a Fender Bassman, a Fender Twin Reverb and several Orange amps, whereas Danny Kirwan was using Hiwatt during that time. John McVie uses a lot of Fender and Orange amps back then, (and he still does)