• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Showing/talking to kids about playing the guitar...

mmcquain

Yesterday I spent a few hours at my son's school. I talked to the kids as part of the "Great American Teach-In" program (basically the same thing used to be called "career day" when your parents came to class to talk about their job, special hobby, skill, etc.). If you've got kids in school then I highly encourage you to consider doing something like this.

It was a LOT of fun seeing their eyes light up when they got to strum on a guitar, "make it sound funny" (play with my fx pedals), or as they watched me jam on some blues or hit a big power chord. My son's teacher said she heard several of tell their mom/dad "I want a guitar for Christmas" as they were being picked up in the car line that afternoon. So if I sparked an interest in even 1 or 2 of them, and it actually pans out, then it will be well worth the time spent.

Last year I did this for just my son's 1st grade class but it was so well received that they asked if I could stay longer this year and speak to all the kids (K-5th grades) during their Music Class times. I had about an hour with the K-2nd and another hour with the 3-5th grades. This wasn't nearly enough time to cover all the ideas that I had in my head but it was just about right for holding their attention span and I DID get to cover enough of the basic that they really seemed to enjoy it.

Several of the kids actually said they had guitars at home - a couple of Daisy Rock, an old acoustic and one kid is getting an Epi mini Flying V (he hopes) for Christmas. My hope is that maybe my demonstration will help encourage them to go home and actually pick up their instrument and to start to do something with it.

Anyway, just thought I'd share with you all what fun it was and I encourage you to thing about doing it sometime for a school near you - even if your kids are grown or you don't have any - you can always call the school and ask to speak with the music teacher about how to get involved - I'm sure they'd love the help (especially as funding for "the arts" is often one of the first things to get cut back on as school budgets get tightened).

And don't think that the "Teach-In" is about music only... in the morning they had somebody's mother who was a hair dresser come in and speak (some of the kids got hair gel Mohawks, etc.). My wife sells Pampered Chef and I'm trying to talk her into doing it next year and do a cooking demonstration (and give out business cards that the kids can take home to their mmoms... but that's just my idea!)

Teach-In01.jpg

Teach-In02.jpg

Teach-In03.jpg

Teach-In04.jpg

Teach-In05.jpg

Teach-In06.jpg

Teach-In07.jpg

Teach-In08.jpg

Teach-In09.jpg

mmcquain

I talked about things like:

* How I got started (early influences, taking lessons, importance of studying music in school, etc.)

* "What IS all this stuff anyway" - overview of different guitar types (acoustic, electric, bass, etc.),
amps, effects, other tools (POD, drum machine, CD trainer, etc.)

* Reading music vs. playing by ear and improvising (they actually liked my little blues jam and all
knew things like "Sweet Home Alabama", "Free Bird" and "Let It Be" - albeit, they may associated
these with things like KFC or Office Depot commercials )

* Gave a brief history of the electric guitar (took in my "Les Paul In His Own Words", "Beauty Of The
Burst" and "Encyclopedia Of The Electric Guitar" books - they all enjoyed seeing different pictures, etc.)

* Value of some guitars - I asked what they thought the most expensive guitars in the world were - it's
funny how $1000 or $10,000 seemed like unbelievably big numbers to them - when I showed them
a picture of a '59 Les Paul and said that it costs more than the house I live in they were like "WOW!"
I showed them the picture of Guitar Center's "Holy Grails" (Blackie, Lenny and the "Crossroads"
335) and said these were worth a few million. They were simply amazed. Of course, I explained
that you could learn and play on guitars that cost MUCH less. I showed them the mini-Strat that my
son uses and told them it was about $100 (or the price of 3-4 X-Box games).

We then had about 10-15 minutes of "hands on" where they got to come up and hold/strum a guitar.
They liked making them sound "funny" through the pedals and amps.

And I wrapped up by giving each of them a page with pics of a Les Paul, Strat and Acoustic and a
space where they could make up and draw their own guitar and color it in. While this may seem a
little basic for the older kids, it actually worked well for all ages: the kindergarteners like to color
and the 4th and 5th graders (at least a couple of the boys) where already talking about designing
guitars that shot lightning bolts or are "transformers" into something else (maybe they will one day
get jobs at Gibson designing a future version of Gibson's "Robot Guitar" :))

Teach-In10.jpg

Guitar_Parts_1of2.jpg

Guitar_Parts_2of2.jpg

Guitar_Shapes_1of2.jpg

Guitar_Shapes_2of2.jpg

Guitar_Values_1of2.jpg

Guitar_Values_2of2.jpg

Design_Your_Own_Guitar.jpg

Stumbler

This is one of the coolest threads I've seen. Bless you for doing something like this. Those pics of the kids are priceless!!

(Note to self - must check out the Hello Kitty mini-strat...)

mmcquain

Great stuff! ...and wise man to leave the 356 at home! :ganz

Thanks. I thought about bringing the 356 (as it is my "best looking" guitar IMO) but with lots of little hands and feet and cables around I didn't want to risk it. But the kids were very good (as good as they can be at that age) and got in line and took turns, etc.

jwoods986

That's great! Too bad you don't have a guitar with a trem to really get some "cool sounds" -lol. But it looks like that pedal board did fine. :wow
How do you avoid tone loss with that many pedals?

I've been wondering what a '59 burst goes for these days, now I know - $500K!! Crazy.

mmcquain

That's great! Too bad you don't have a guitar with a trem to really get some "cool sounds" -lol. But it looks like that pedal board did fine. :wow How do you avoid tone loss with that many pedals? I've been wondering what a '59 burst goes for these days, now I know - $500K!! Crazy.

Thanks... I actually thought about having a guitar with a whammy bar (but I sold my last Strat a year ago). As for the pedals, I do have some tone suck and am working on trying to find (or build) a loop switcher than I'd like (and that doesn't cost a fortune). I am probably going to build my own as I have DPDT footswitches, the case, etc. - I just need to find the time to do it. For now I tweak my amp and the pedals to get the best sound I can out of 'em.

That $500K figure isn't hard and fast, it is just based on what I' ve learned on this and some other forums thanks to guys like TW59, etc. Crazy I know... the teacher couldn't believe it when I told them that 1 guitar can cost more than a couple of houses! The price estimates I gave them were simply ballpark figures to help them understand that guitars can be VERY valuable.

Last edited:

Adwex

Awesome. It's very likely that you may have shaped some kids future.
Very cool.

mmcquain

Thanks MoonPie... I DID have to leave the house for this one but I think it was worth it :)

William Payne

not trying to sound rude but why do you need so many pedals and why does that les paul have an sg neck?

Twinfan

It's a Les Paul Classic Antique - it has a Les Paul neck with an SG inlay as standard.

I'm guessing that many pedals are needed for a large number of sounds!

mmcquain

William Payne - Twinfan nailed it... it's a 2007 Classic Antique (several of the Guitars of the Week, etc. also use the crown inlay nowadays - it's no longer just an SG or 33x thing).

And as for the pedals, yep I was trying to show them several different things. I currently have 3 pedalboards - 1 stays at church, a big "everything" board that I can use for anything that comes up, and a small one (tuner, direct box and a few basic things like Delay) that I can use with my Taylor T5 (which usually runs direct out to the PA, completely separate from my Gibson/Board/Amp setup).

I am actually in the process of streamlining my church setup (fewer pedals, possible true bypass looper, etc.). Once I am done tweaking that setup (I use it each week) then I've refine the others. It is always a work in progress for me.

I've went from just Les Paul into amp to 1-2 pedals to about 14 pedals on a board and back again several times. It really depends on what type of music I'm playing and what sounds I may be called upon to do. I also have a POD, V-Amp and have tried multi-effect floor units from Korg, Boss and Digitech over the years - but I always come back to individual pedals as I find that much simplier - on the all-in-one units I can never remember whether it was preset 45 or 95, etc. and I can't be bother taking my hands off of the guitar to bend down and tweak knobs when trying to play. Of course, something like a POD is great for headphone jamming and can be really helpful when recording.

And no you didn't sound rude at all... we all have to find what works best for each of us.

Cooltone

I'm seeing this trend with the popularity of the "guitar hero" video games of younger people associating some kind of 'musical talent' with their ability to play that game well. It bothers me a little.

What you may have done is given these young kids a 'reality check', which I think is very cool. I have two young kids in school and I will follow your example at some point and get involved with something like this.

Good for you, mmcquain, It makes me proud that you did this and you deserve to be proud of yourself!:salude

ambercat57

I'm seeing this trend with the popularity of the "guitar hero" video games of younger people associating some kind of 'musical talent' with their ability to play that game well. It bothers me a little.

What you may have done is given these young kids a 'reality check', which I think is very cool. I have two young kids in school and I will follow your example at some point and get involved with something like this.

Good for you, mmcquain, It makes me proud that you did this and you deserve to be proud of yourself!:salude

+1,Cooltone.
mmcquain, you've given these kids a lifetime of memories, and hopefully enough encouragement to find their own voice through an instrument.
You may be in trouble with the parents of kids whose only request for Christmas is a $2,000 Lester!!!:rofl :dude:

bluesjuke

Bless you mmquain!
Was talking just the other day to a guy at work about how when I came up they gave us Music Classes starting in the first grade and going throughout elementary school and of course choice of course after that.

Music is part of our everyday lives and culture and a lot of education on it is ignored nowadays, as you said among the first in budget cuts.

I'll bet those kids were very excited! I know I would have been- I'm excited hearing about it!

So I guess with the headsup you gave them on Vintage pieces they can start saving right away too.

Good work!

kevmoe

:jim :jim hey mcquian that was a great thing ya did for those lil people..:applaude very cool..i hope santa is very good to you this year..happy thanksgiving to you and yours.:salude and to all forum bros as well...:2zone

mmcquain

Thanks guys for the comments... it was very cool getting to do this for the kids. And last Friday I got the coolest Thank You cards from the kids. Several said that it was the "coolest thing" they'd seen (poor kids need to get out more :)) and at least 2 asked if I'd teach them to play the guitar... my wife says that one of these days I should consider working with kids (just have to find the time).

Of course, after last night's "flood" I may need the extra money... long story involving an overflowing laundry sink in the middle of the night, followed by a day full of calls to insurance, lots of ripped up carpet, 16 industrial strength dry fans, a trip to Home Depot to price new flooring, etc. :wah :wow But that's another story...

bluesjuke

So sorry to hear about the indoor flood!
I hope all of your gear is OK.