NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Re: Upgrade Plastics Comparision Thread

Quote Originally Posted by AlexVDL View Post
    Can't wait to cut a pickguard from it.

Does anyone have a full drawing (either cad or pdf or something) of a historic or other accurate pickguard? I just need the outline. I will have to adjust the pickup spacing to my own guitar.
    The best tracing template is the pickguard that came with the guitar. That's a Classic right? Any Gibson USA guard should be the correct size.

Hey Dano... The classic guard is not even near a historic or 50's pickguard, aswell as the USA guards. The bottom rounding near the bracket is much thinner on the vintage guards. The USA and my original classic is rounder and fatter. The shape near the cutaway is also different on the vintage ones.

Anyways I already drew one up from scratch and it looks ok. Maybe I'll try to trace a historic or VC guard later.

I found the vintage clone measurements though.

If I can find a way to fit me, my girl, and my dog into the pickup cavity of a Burst, I'll sell my house tomorrow morning and do it.

Les Paul Forum Member PixelBurst's Avatar

Here are some more comparisons. The Historic and Vintage clone look close in the picture. In person the Historics are much more Barbie flesh color in person, while the Vintage Clones are more yellow-ish cream. The DiMarzio is a very cool white color, which doesn't look right to me. The Voodoos are the perfect color, but the bridge ring is slightly shorter than vintage spec. I dropped the Voodoos in because the neck ring split and was touching the strings when I played hard.

Does anyone know if the current Vintage Clone rings still have that ugly puckering (dimples) in the plastic? If so, what other decent rings are there that don't cost as much as the DMC's?

Les Paul Forum Member Red Baron's Avatar

I just bought some VC parts a few weeks ago (rings, pick guard, poker chip and jackplate) the rings are very nice and they don't have that dimple.

Les Paul Forum Member Slim Taper's Avatar

I also got some VC rings about a month ago, and they have the very faintest dimpling that you have to look hard for; I wouldn't even have noticed except that PixelBurst pointed it out.

Interestingly enough, I always felt that the stock pickguard on my 08 R8 looked pretty darn good colourwise - much better than my 03 R9 - but I bought a nice Montreux pickguard from VC because it compared very favourably to a couple of original 50's ones (I saw these all at a guitar show). To my surprise when I got it home, the Montreux one was so freakin' close to the stock Historic pickguard, I really had to use my imagination to see a difference! I never installed it. Does anyone else feel there's been an improvement in colour for 08? (rings are still a little on the pink side, but not like in years past).
    Bury my heart in a pink-lined case.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Taper View Post
    I also got some VC rings about a month ago, and they have the very faintest dimpling that you have to look hard for; I wouldn't even have noticed except that PixelBurst pointed it out.

Interestingly enough, I always felt that the stock pickguard on my 08 R8 looked pretty darn good colourwise - much better than my 03 R9 - but I bought a nice Montreux pickguard from VC because it compared very favourably to a couple of original 50's ones (I saw these all at a guitar show). To my surprise when I got it home, the Montreux one was so freakin' close to the stock Historic pickguard, I really had to use my imagination to see a difference! I never installed it. Does anyone else feel there's been an improvement in colour for 08? (rings are still a little on the pink side, but not like in years past).
    The dimples are accurate to original 50s pickup rings, as they have them too.

I just installed a new Vintage Clone pickguard and poker chip on my Rossington. Here's a comparison with the Historic guard, and also three different sets of rings. Pickguard first: Top is a 70s Norlin era guard. It's very beige next to the others, moreso in fact, than the photo appears. Middle is the Vintage Clone guard, and bottom is the Historic guard, which has been on this guitar since I got it four years ago. I didn't think it was too bad, until I got the Vintage Clone to compare it against.

The top rings are Historic, with their typical pinkish color. On the guitar are a set of "Accross The Pond" rings, which I've had for about 18 months. I really like these better than anything else I've seen, including DMC. The only beef I have is how they turn black around the edge. Bottom rings are from RS. I liked these a whole lot, until I saw the English rings, as they are a little beige by comparison. I'm interested in seeing the latest offering from Montreax, which are supposed to be even better than the "Across The Pond" rings. A friend has some coming from Gord Miller, and they should be in hand by next week. The poker chip is from Gord Miller, (as is the pickguard) it's the style from the mid 50s, although you do see it on some 58 bursts as well. I wanted one like this because it's my favorite style of font that Gibson used. All the other parts are original 50s, including PAFs.
    Last edited by Steve Craw; 01-13-09 at 06:54 AM.

Same topic, hopefully better lighting to show color difference more accurately. Pickup rings are: (L) Historic, (M) RS, (R) Historic , (Center)RS, (Mounted) Across The pond. Pickguards: (Mounted) Vintage Clone, (Center) Gibson Historic, (Bottom) 70s guard. BTW, the "Across The Pond" rings have the dimples or puckering as it was refered too, likewise for the RS rings, while the Historic rings do not.
    Last edited by Steve Craw; 01-13-09 at 08:16 AM.

Les Paul Forum Member radioscooter's Avatar

Nice comparison shots. I've been off the board for a while. Can it be revealed yet how and/or who to get the "across the pond" stuff from yet? (you can email me if it's still hush hush) I'd like to try a couple of those out myself.

Also, what or who is "Montreax"?

Thanks.

-s
    "The thin of the soiling and paint calls and with feeling, the thornback wind it is atmosphere."

I was told by Gord Miller of gmvintagerestorations.com that the dimples are from low pressure when injecting the mold. He has VC and Montreux parts without them. From looking at BOTB and high res pictures posted here, dimples aren't vintage correct.

All Access/Backstage Pass Mark Kane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by radioscooter View Post
    Nice comparison shots. I've been off the board for a while. Can it be revealed yet how and/or who to get the "across the pond" stuff from yet? (you can email me if it's still hush hush) I'd like to try a couple of those out myself.

Also, what or who is "Montreax"?

Thanks.

-s
    Kim's got some rings coming in any day I think.

http://retrospec-guitar.com/store/gibson-parts/
    "Buried Alive in the Blues"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kane View Post
    Kim's got some rings coming in any day I think.

http://retrospec-guitar.com/store/gibson-parts/
    Just ordered a set, thanks guys. I love the fatboys, but these are supposed to be the shizzle so...
    "The thin of the soiling and paint calls and with feeling, the thornback wind it is atmosphere."

Les Paul Forum Member Red Baron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PixelBurst View Post
    From looking at BOTB and high res pictures posted here, dimples aren't vintage correct.
    Yeah the originals weren't injection moulded and were made from a totally different type of plastic.

Les Paul Forum Member johnnyslim's Avatar

Deleted post...
    Last edited by johnnyslim; 01-28-09 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Nothing to see here
    Winning isn't everything...but losing isn't anything.

Got my Buzzy guard today and it's totally professional and impressive! Almost half the price of a Vintage Clone guard, too.

Buzzy guard, Historic guard, Dimarzio rings:
    http://kurtsequipment.com/lp/lprecent3.jpg

Buzzy guard, Dimarzio rings, Vintage Clone ring and nut:
    http://kurtsequipment.com/lp/lprecent5.jpg

Vintage Clone ring and nut:
    http://kurtsequipment.com/lp/vcringnut.jpg
    http://kurtsequipment.com/lp/vcringnut2.jpg

Allparts knobs and Stewmac pointers:
    http://kurtsequipment.com/lp/knobspointers.jpg

a
    Last edited by ashbass; 04-13-14 at 06:33 PM.

Now get this...
    We feed the rats to the cats,
    and the cats to the rats,
    and get the cat skins for nothing.

Not a very good pic, but these are aged dimarzio rings, home made pickguard, stewmac pokerchip, home made reflector knobs on my '94 classic.

Last edited by AlexVDL; 01-26-09 at 07:28 AM.
    If I can find a way to fit me, my girl, and my dog into the pickup cavity of a Burst, I'll sell my house tomorrow morning and do it.

How to make 60's gold reflector knobs with polished inserts

While I'm at it I'll show you guys how you can get the non spun type gold reflector knobs without having to pay $120 for a vintage clone set.

Just buy a set of original black gibson reflector knobs for $16 on ebay or something, as they do have the nice polished mirror inserts instead of the cheap looking spun inserts like on the allparts and other replacement knobs. The black knobs from WDmusic also have the polished inserts.

Carefully use some acetone to remove the black paint from the back. I used a cue tip, but some others use a piece of soft tissue paper. Be careful not to get the acetone in the embossed numbers, otherwise you lose the white paint. I also used a tooth pick cut in half lengthwise (to get a flat edge) with a paper towel wrapped around it to get in the little corners of the knob.

After you removed all the black paint, clean it off with some alcohol and apply some metallic gold paint. I used some bronze powder mixed with nitro and I brushed it on. When it all was still wet I dipped the knob in the bronze powder. You can also use goldmarkers or model kit paint etc. But I prefer real metallic powder.

Here's some pics I also posted in the other forum:

Two of the knobs already cleaned. You can see that I lost some of the white numbers on the knob on the right. I wasn't careful enough. But once the gold is applied you won't notice it very much though.

Bronze powder and nitro applied at the back.

From the front it looks pretty nice! Notice the difference between the insert on the new knob and the black replacement knob. The gold knob on the right was a spun type knob which I tried to polish out, but from certain angles it looks grey, plus you'll lose the font.

Here you can see them fitted on my guitar. It's hard to capture the chrome insert and the metallic gold.

Ooopps....

Nothing to see here, move along!
    Last edited by NVaVettes; 01-29-09 at 09:23 PM. Reason: OOOpps....

Because of this thread I was FORCED to buy a DMC nut and ring. It was SO worth it too. So here is the comparison shot next to the stock historic nut and ring on my new R-9! This is the NON-aged version.

Here is a larger shot of my axe.

Anyone here have a truss rod cover option?

Quote Originally Posted by radioscooter View Post
    Anyone here have a truss rod cover option?
    Yup, Fake 58:

http://www.fake58.co.uk/Parts%20For%20Gibson.htm

I've got a couple of these, I got one for my '64 ES330 & found it so good that I bought a couple more for my Les Paul's. They have the right radius & are nicely aged too.

Pickguard comparison - Buzzy, Historic, and Montreux Timemachine:

http://kurtsequipment.com/G0LP/pickguards.jpg

Rings are Montreux Retrovibe which look the same at the Fatboy Retrovibes. I reinforced them with fiberglass mesh just in case.

Pickguard comparison. Buzzy, Historic, Montreux TimeMachine. Montreux wins for me and is only about $50. http://kurtsequipment.com/G0LP/pickguards.jpg

Les Paul Forum Member afficionado's Avatar

Fatboy switch tip, Montreux ring and washer:
    http://kurtsequipment.com/G0LP/lp20.jpg
    http://kurtsequipment.com/G0LP/lp21.jpg

Pigtail bridge, RS steel studs:
    http://kurtsequipment.com/G0LP/lp22.jpg

Assorted RS, Fatboy, Montreux, Allparts, HM, Pigtail parts (first pic is labeled):
    http://kurtsequipment.com/G0LP/lp24.jpg
    http://kurtsequipment.com/G0LP/lp26.jpg
    http://kurtsequipment.com/G0LP/lp27.jpg

New Kluson tuners with my own aging:
    http://kurtsequipment.com/G0LP/lp25.jpg

Fatboy jackplate:
    http://kurtsequipment.com/G0LP/lp28.jpg

I see your montreux neck pickup ring is cracked too.. it won't be long or the bridge pickup ring will crack, because I see a slight bow, and these rings just cannot handle any stress

Well, I reinforced both but not well enough on the neck. Gordon was nice enough to send another. Had another set I reinforced and they were fine for a while.

Are these the newer Montreux rings that are snapping?

No no, the (relatively speaking) inexpensive $50 Retrovibes. Found that my bridge pickup ring cracked now, too! CRAP! I reinforced that one well. I'll live with it until a better solution comes along or I place another order with Gordon.

E-mail Montreux.. they sent me a new set plus an aged jackplate after I told them my first set broke after 3 days.

Gordon's been great but a replacement cracked, too. I'll live with them until a cheaper alternative comes along or I can pony up the scratch for OTP rings.

Retro-spec/Historic Makeovers posts and thumbwheels vs. Historic:

Last edited by Brian H; 06-01-09 at 09:27 PM.

Even though I have the lowly Faded Std (CV Guitars ~ LCPG #151), compared to some of these Historic beauties on previous pages...I thought I'd post the Plastics' changes I've done on mine. Other Faded Std owners might be interested? Some were done on the cheap, while other's weren't.

Rings - Vintage Clone via Allparts w/ dimple
    Amber Switch Tip - Blue Collar Parts
    Aged Reflector Knobs & Toggle Switch Nut - RS Guitarworks
    Pickquard, Poker Chip, & Jack Plate - Blue Collar (WD)
    Tuner Buttons - Double Rings via eBay's Islandfunhouse
    The 2 unmounted guards: far right-Gibson Historic / bottom-orig Faded Std pinkish guard

The only downside to the WD pkgd is that it's not quite as thick as other pkgds, but I favored the 'yellower' coloring it has over the others!

Last edited by RnB; 03-09-10 at 05:40 PM.
    ><><><
    RnB

Les Paul Forum Member Noel Grassy's Avatar

AlexVDL, Your knobbish tutorial is truly a bit of genius. Plus those pics are really top quality too!
    Question #1; To shoot your pigment on the backs, did you just use an airbrush or equally tiny spray rig?
    To any & all; Have any of you DYI types sussed out a convincing method for applying that Green "patina/oxidation" that occurs on the lower back portion of a Gold knob? I'm wracking what remains of my brain for what to even begin experimenting with. Apparently I need a product/method that will kind of "glom" on to the Gold [which seems opaque] and still transfer almost transparently through to the clear plastic. From the suppliers who have tried duplicating this they either get the Green effect to occur way to far up from just the lowest edge of the knob or miss the boat entirely.

Last edited by Noel Grassy; 06-11-09 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Steep pics attachment learning curve for the feeble.

a
    Last edited by ashbass; 04-06-14 at 12:20 PM.

Now get this...
    We feed the rats to the cats,
    and the cats to the rats,
    and get the cat skins for nothing.

Question to AlexVDL: the stew mac poker chip you bought, is it the same thickness as the original pink chip or is it super thin like most cheap ones that I've seen?
    Les IS more!

2004 Les Paul Standard (Honey Burst)
    1984 JCM 800 2x12

Les Paul Forum Member buyusfear's Avatar

Retrospec truss covers with accurate roll markings and bevel.

And here's a real vintage '57 trussrod cover. Note the obvious roll marks and the not so obvious little burr
    Take'er easy..............and if she's easy......just take'er!

I used a brush to apply clear nitro. I then dipped the knobs in a bucket of bronze powder. I blew off the excess and let it dry. So the bronze is not protected by a layer of clear, so I guess it could get green from sweat or other fluids. I'll try to apply some acid or ferric chloride or something. I'll let you know.

As for the pokerchip, it's the same size I've seen on most gibsons, except for some 90's gibsons with very pinkish and thick washers with rounded edges. It's definately not as this as the cheap white ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Grassy View Post
    AlexVDL, Your knobbish tutorial is truly a bit of genius. Plus those pics are really top quality too!
    Question #1; To shoot your pigment on the backs, did you just use an airbrush or equally tiny spray rig?
    To any & all; Have any of you DYI types sussed out a convincing method for applying that Green "patina/oxidation" that occurs on the lower back portion of a Gold knob? I'm wracking what remains of my brain for what to even begin experimenting with. Apparently I need a product/method that will kind of "glom" on to the Gold [which seems opaque] and still transfer almost transparently through to the clear plastic. From the suppliers who have tried duplicating this they either get the Green effect to occur way to far up from just the lowest edge of the knob or miss the boat entirely.

I finally decided to suck it up and take on some extra jobs to pay for some Over The Pond M69 rings for my two R9's. Here are some pics: