The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Re: Upgrade Plastics Comparision Thread

What are 'Smartass' parts? They ebay seller says they came from the UK...

Ebay item # 330261204857
    Les Paul's, Marshall's, Corvettes! 'Nuff said.

Gibson: R8 '14, R9 BRZ '03, R8 '02, '89 Chet Atkins SST
    Fender: '57 Strat RI USA '82, '83, '03, '07, '05 Custom Shop
    Marshall: '71 JMP50, '80 2204, '84 2204, '88 1987S, '97 1987X WHITE, '99 JTM45, '06 2061X
    Marshall: '68 4x12 Basketweave, '74 4x12 Creambacks, '77 2x12 w/Alnico Blues, '83 2x12, '84 2x12, '88 4x12
    Fender: '63 Princeton, '67 SFDR, '77 SFPR, '79 SFPR
    Transportation: 2014 Corvette Stingray Z51, 2011 Jeep Patriot

Added some used Vintage Clone / Lightly Aged Plastic to my 07' R9. Courtesy of a LP Forum Member. Here's a few Pic's

1955' Les Paul Jr. / Single Cut Bumble Bee/Long studs on stop tail. Factory Done w/57 serial # over 55
    1960' LP Jr.Double-Cut
    1964' SG Jr. All Vintage Authentic.
    Won't Count the Strat........
    71' & 72' Marshall Metal Panel 50 Watt Plexi's PTP w/2003 TV Cab w/20 watt Heritage Celestions on the top 12's, English 25's on the bottom.
    Tone to the Bone 64' Champ.

Les Paul Forum Member Red Baron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blueheeler View Post
    This is an excellent thread, and whoever gave the sticky idea deserves a mention too.There are so many cool bits and pieces,RS, vintageclone, fatboy, retrovibe,HM, etc. But for us down under it would be much easier to just order one shipment from one place.Can anyone recommend a one stop shop for all the parts, cheers Mark.
    Yes exactly, would be great if somebody sold a complete Historic plastic upgrade pack, tuner tips included... I can't believe nobody has done this yet (that I'm aware of).

Plastic to my 07' R9. Courtesy of a LP Forum Member. Here's a few Pic's

[/QUOTE]

Looks great- here's my home grown rings on an 07 lemon

Very Nice........Howd did you do the home grown part????Got a plastic tree in the back yard??? did you buy and alter or pour your own???

1955' Les Paul Jr. / Single Cut Bumble Bee/Long studs on stop tail. Factory Done w/57 serial # over 55
    1960' LP Jr.Double-Cut
    1964' SG Jr. All Vintage Authentic.
    Won't Count the Strat........
    71' & 72' Marshall Metal Panel 50 Watt Plexi's PTP w/2003 TV Cab w/20 watt Heritage Celestions on the top 12's, English 25's on the bottom.
    Tone to the Bone 64' Champ.

I really just meant the finishing-
    Started with a Dimarzio which is bright white. Hit it with a micro sanding stick (beauty shop item I guess- mine was from Mrs Corpse) to knock off the glossy finish and give the dye something to bite into and then just dyed it with fabric dye- tan and yellow mixed 50/50 in hot water. I am sure if you didn't sand them first, it would just wipe off. Looks just as good as the expensive ones I bought.
    Jim
    Last edited by corpse; 11-10-08 at 11:10 AM.

Actually, I have a plastic tree in my living room.

My dentist' office has several as well- I took a cutting to get mine started.
    Trying to grow pickguards now, but they are tougher.

Here's my stewmac pokerchip. The color is really nice, not pink. It's a light yellowish color, not really cream. I love it! The font is also pretty acurate. IMO it looks just like the fatboy or Montreux ones. This one is just 2 bucks or something, so I bought a bunch

Here is the before and after aging:

Looks like an Allparts one that bought 'bout 10 years ago.

Well I just took the plunge. I'm tired of trying to get my white dimarzio's to the correct color, so I bought a set of Montreux Retrovibe relic rings.

Does someone knows if the fatboy retrovibes are the same as the Montreux Retrovibes?

I just ordered a set from Gord Miller. They're $60 and I don't want them to crack. I'm thinking of applying the fiberglass mesh before installing the rings. I have a '94 classic with a very curved top, so I really don't want them to crack

Quote Originally Posted by AlexVDL View Post
    Does someone knows if the fatboy retrovibes are the same as the Montreux Retrovibes?

I just ordered a set from Gord Miller. They're $60 and I don't want them to crack. I'm thinking of applying the fiberglass mesh before installing the rings. I have a '94 classic with a very curved top, so I really don't want them to crack
    Compare the underside of your rings to the photos of the Fatboy rings in post #108. If the gate positions on your rings are the same as the Fatboys, then they are likely to crack. Reinforce them with fiberglass mesh (per post #111) to protect them.

Here's a comparison of Uncle Lou's regular tips vs premium tips. Note that the regular tips are a bit more translucent and swirly. Its a subtle difference that's more noticeable in these photos than on the guitar.

Uncle Lou's Regular Tips

Uncle Lou's Premium Tips

Oh yeah, here's another plastic comparison. The truss rod cover in the top photo is an aged Historic part. The TRC in the lower photo is a 1960 vintage cover.

Quote Originally Posted by DANELECTRO View Post
    Compare the underside of your rings to the photos of the Fatboy rings in post #108. If the gate positions on your rings are the same as the Fatboys, then they are likely to crack. Reinforce them with fiberglass mesh (per post #111) to protect them.
    Yeah they're exactly the same... damn I paid $60 and you guys bought them for $15 at a blow out sale

Anyways, the color is super! They look really great, best $60 bucks I even spent

Well I hope I can find some of that fiberglass mesh, because I won't install them without it. They're too precious hehehe.

EDIT: I couldn't find the fiberglass mesh but I have some long strips of what seems to be fiber nylon or fiberglass material. It is used around cardboard boxes to hold them together. It's very tough, you can't break it, only cut it. Do you think I can use that stuff?
    Last edited by AlexVDL; 09-30-08 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexVDL View Post
    Well I hope I can find some of that fiberglass mesh, because I won't install them without it.
    Any hobby store that carrys supplies for radio controlled airplanes will have it. It's commonly used to reinforce wing sections that are glued together.

Danelectro, could you please tell me the specs of the mesh? I can't find any supplier in my neighbourhood and I don't know what to look for on the internet. I found some modelplane materials, but they have a lot of sizes and thicknesses. I only other stuff I could find is very rough fiberglass for filling gaps in boats and stuff. And most of that stuff is sold in BIG sheets

!##^$*?/^$)(*&^%##@ my rings cracked!!

I just installed them 2 days ago. I reinforced them and still they cracked!! I'm sooooo disappointed. I'm glad I did not buy the more expensive vintage clones.

Anyways, the guys from Montreux said they would take care of it, so I'm anxious to see what they have in mind.

Here's some pics:

Last edited by AlexVDL; 10-15-08 at 07:27 PM.
    If I can find a way to fit me, my girl, and my dog into the pickup cavity of a Burst, I'll sell my house tomorrow morning and do it.

Les Paul Forum Member

What I don't understand is that my '99 Classic has had both the Fatboy Retro-vibe rings AND the Vintage Clone rings yet neither have cracked despite the classic supposedly having more of a curved top. The Retro-vibe were on there for about 6 to 9 months and the VC's have been on 3 months yet neither show any signs of cracking...

I have some retrovibe rings from fatboy foley that cracked a while back. I managed to patch them up and now they're fine.

Has anyone had a problem with the VC ones cracking? last thing i want to do is dive in deeper into debt on guitar plastics that are going to break
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~
    Happiness is.....finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry

Les Paul Forum Member buyusfear's Avatar

Vintage Clone shouldn't crack, just as DMC shouldn't crack, as their mold injection points are different.

If the rings are the right color, relatively inexpensive, but crack, IMO= big deal... it's 10x's better then pink, uncracked rings.

YMMV
    Take'er easy..............and if she's easy......just take'er!

Out of frustration I stained my dimarzio rings again. I sanded them back to white and started all over. Now I have the retrovibes I can compare the color much better. I noticed that with the stewmac vintage amber stain the rings get too yellow. It needs more brown. Maybe a brown stain works better on white plastics.

Anyways I used some brown shoe polish this time. Now the color comes pretty close. I just can't get it exactly, but it's good enough. I guess I'll have to apply some clear finish before I install the rings, because the shoe polish will wear off pretty quick as stated earlier by others.

Here's the stained Dimarzio rings compared to a set of allparts rings. The allparts are very pink:

Here's the Dimarzio's compared to the Retrovibes:

If I can find a way to fit me, my girl, and my dog into the pickup cavity of a Burst, I'll sell my house tomorrow morning and do it.

anyone have pics of the VC pickup rings from RS? on the site, they look pretty yellow'd. Same story with the pickguard.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~
    Happiness is.....finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry

Has anyone here managed to buy Angel parts online from Japan - if so, from where?

Also, does anyone know of "Vintage Cream Series" mounting rings and if they also can be bought online?
    http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-la...language=en_JP

From what I can tell, you can't buy from Amazon Japan if you're overseas?

Wow those vintage cream ones look great and they're cheap as hell. Damnit.. don't we have a Japanese forum member who could order a bunch for us

Anyways, I got it sorted with Montreux, what a great company to deal with!

I recently bought some plastic (pickguard and switch ring) from a local supplier.
    These parts are very light cream coloured and fit Historic's - and are very inexpensive, only cost me $17 for the guard and switch ring... I'm not sure if they're the same as the ones carried by Allparts, but he did tell me that he buy's his parts from a different Japanese supplier.

He also told me that they carry inexpensive ivory coloured mounting rings, he's going to order some in for me to check out, so I'll post some pics here when I get them... I'm hoping they are tall like Historic rings.

Les Paul Forum Member

Red Baron can you give us some contact info for the local supplier that you are talking about

Les Paul Forum Member PixelBurst's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buyusfear View Post
    Vintage Clone shouldn't crack, just as DMC shouldn't crack, as their mold injection points are different.

If the rings are the right color, relatively inexpensive, but crack, IMO= big deal... it's 10x's better then pink, uncracked rings.

YMMV
    The VC neck pickup ring cracked on my 2004 R9. I guess all rings can crack.

Les Paul Forum Member fromthebeginning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PixelBurst View Post
    The VC neck pickup ring cracked on my 2004 R9. I guess all rings can crack.
    I have two sets and never had a problem with VC's cracking, anyone else seeing issues with VC's (would like to know before I start my next project. FTB

Quote Originally Posted by timsmcm View Post
    Red Baron can you give us some contact info for the local supplier that you are talking about
    http://www.aceguitarparts.com.au/index.html

there was a set of VC rings on ebay germany with a cracked neck pickup ring, so I guess the do crack. Also right in the middle.

Is it the VCP2 Clone M69 Surrounds that are cracking in the middle?

Les Paul Forum Member 2002standardmat's Avatar

Both my retrovibe and my VC M69 rings cracked, but the VC's have been repaired with super gloop and have been good ever since......

Touch wood.
    2004 Darkburst R9
    2004 51 Relic Nocaster
    2004 SJ200
    2010 Danelectro DC59m
    2008 Dan Armstrong Ampeg ADA6
    2013 Squier VM Bass VI
    2011 SG Junior 60's
    2009 Classic 50's Strat
    2012 BC Rich Mockingbird ST
    1993 MIJ 60’s Strat
    A mandolin...

2009 Marshall Class 5 Mk 1
    2015 Fender Blues Junior III
    2018 Marshall 1974x HW
    Pedals, quite a few pedals...

WOW the people at Montreux are super!! After writing about the cracked rings, today I received a brand new aged set plus an aged jackplate as a gift. What a great company and a great service, thank you Yuichiro!

What do you guys think? My '94 classic is going to be refinished in nitro anyways and I don't want the rings to crack again, so should I flatten the top curve to 50's specs and still bend the rings over the top or should I keep the deep curve and pre radius the bottom of the rings?
    Last edited by AlexVDL; 10-21-08 at 01:57 PM.

Do these Montreux rings have a flat bottom (like the Dimarzio's) that require bending to fit the contour of the guitar?

Formerly fishnose
    Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
    Do these Montreux rings have a flat bottom (like the Dimarzio's) that require bending to fit the contour of the guitar?
    Don't they all?

/GV

Around Louisiana way
    Lived a cage and lady

C: I thought to myself, "a little fermented curd will do the trick," so, I curtailed my Walpoling activites, sallied forth,
    and infiltrated your place of purveyance to negotiate the vending of some cheesy comestibles!
    O: Come again?
    C: I want to buy some cheese.

- Python

Quote Originally Posted by guitarvoodoo View Post
    Don't they all?

/GV
    I was under the impression that some were moulded to fit the shape of a contoured top, aren't the stock Gibson Historic ones like this?

Where the only difference between the moose and the women is 40 lbs. and a flannel shirt!

I was under the impression that some were moulded to fit the shape of a contoured top, aren't the stock Gibson Historic ones like this?
    Nope. The stock Historic parts are completely flat on the bottom. I believe that's also true of the vintage M-69 rings as well.
    ...and then the old bull said "No son, let's walk down the hill and fuck all of 'em."

Wow... there's always new stuff to be learnt here ...so I guess they hold their curved shape after they've been fixed to a guitar for a while, also explains to me why some crack along the top edge.

The reason I thought they were moulded to shape is because I remember reading that somebody had bought Dimarzio rings and had to shape the bottoms to suit the contour of a Les Paul, so I automatically assumed those rings were different from the norm.

Got a piece of pickguard material from www.basvandenbroek.com. It's a supplier for guitar parts in Europe.

This stuff is made by Boston, the same manufacturer who makes cables and strings and stands etc.

The color is great, exactly the same as my montreux jackplate. It's real cream without any pink. A little darker than my montreux rings (aged dimarzio rings in the pic), and a tad lighter than my stewmac pokerchip. You can see the difference in color between the pickguard and the pinkish binding at the end of my neck.

Can't wait to cut a pickguard from it.

Does anyone have a full drawing (either cad or pdf or something) of a historic or other accurate pickguard? I just need the outline. I will have to adjust the pickup spacing to my own guitar.

Last edited by AlexVDL; 10-23-08 at 04:20 AM.

Has anyone here managed to buy Angel parts online from Japan - if so, from where?
    * I have a set of Angel rings sitting in the drawer unused as they are too short.

* I currently have a set of Vintage Clone rings on my R8. No cracking after 3 months...
    Les Paul's, Marshall's, Corvettes! 'Nuff said.

Gibson: R8 '14, R9 BRZ '03, R8 '02, '89 Chet Atkins SST
    Fender: '57 Strat RI USA '82, '83, '03, '07, '05 Custom Shop
    Marshall: '71 JMP50, '80 2204, '84 2204, '88 1987S, '97 1987X WHITE, '99 JTM45, '06 2061X
    Marshall: '68 4x12 Basketweave, '74 4x12 Creambacks, '77 2x12 w/Alnico Blues, '83 2x12, '84 2x12, '88 4x12
    Fender: '63 Princeton, '67 SFDR, '77 SFPR, '79 SFPR
    Transportation: 2014 Corvette Stingray Z51, 2011 Jeep Patriot