• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Upgrade Plastics Comparision Thread

mkeditor

mk_tips1.jpg

I just bought a set of Gotoh aged tuners and installed Uncle Lou's tips. Everything was great until I went to tune the guitar with the new strings. One of the tips gave half a turn then spun loose. The shaft of the Gotoh is flat on two sides and don't have the "fins" or spearhead shape of other tuners. Therefore they don't have as much bite on the tips. I super glued it but I'm concerned that another could break loose. Has anyone else had trouble with the Gotoh shafts?

I just wish the Gotoh tips were the correct color to begin with.

gotoh_shaft1.jpg

Having said that, the tuners look awesome with Lou's tips and a bit of my movie magic aging.

Here they are half way through the process:

gotoh_lou_vs_historic.jpg

Last edited:

mkeditor

I normally keep pretty good records but I can't find any info on these rings. Sorry.

kips2

Ehm.... Any of you Historians out there willing to sell me their (now redundant) Gibson Historic cream pickup rings + washer....?

Thanks!

TM1

I wonder if Gibson is going to sell any of the new "True Historic" parts? they do look pretty damn nice.<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>

Sauerlaender

I wonder if Gibson is going to sell any of the new "True Historic" parts? they do look pretty damn nice.<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>

I think they will, because there is a demand - so they se the $$$ :hee

This is a sunlight comparsion between a cc#2 with the actual Art of Aging Plastic Set and a cc#5 with the actual true Historic specs....
I just think, that the picguard of the true historics seems to be a bit yellowish to me in direct comparsion.... :hmm
<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/4257811/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

corpse

No experience with this- but I'd say hit them with steel wool underneath and paint them dark green.
I lightly sanded mine with 0000 steel wool for patina, but the modern gold paint is likely without bronze in it so it won't oxidize like the originals. It's just too bright.
But your (great BTW) pic of the two knobs shows the real issue; it's the urethane media turning amber/brown. I took some modern barrel knobs and left them out in the sun for a couple weeks in Atl and they didn't budge. That's why guys that sell the aged parts get the jing they do.

les strat

2004 gloss R8 owned since new. Many miles...

Mojotone Vintage-fit pickguard
Creamtone Vintage rings
RS aged knobs, pointers, Klusons, and switch tip
Creamtone jack plate (not seen)
Stock Gibson poker chip

(also...
Vintage relic aged wireless ABR
RS knurled nut
Antiquities with A4 magnets
Pigtail studs
Naturally aged Gibson aluminum tailpiece
RS CTS pots
Vintage 50's bumblebee 400V caps)

Attachments

• IMG_5656.jpg
    IMG_5656.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5657.jpg
    IMG_5657.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5658.jpg
    IMG_5658.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5659.jpg
    IMG_5659.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5660.jpg
    IMG_5660.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

les strat

Creamtone vintage M69 ring (left) vs stock 2004 Historic ring (with lots of wear lol)

Melodyman

So am I able to order TH replacement rings and pickguard for my Goldie? Has this been determined yet?

jkater

Montreux vs. stock Gibson Historic :

b_jack10.jpg

b_pick10.jpg

b_pu_r10.jpg

b_rt_c10.jpg

I got the Montreux time machine 59 knobs (on the right) compared with Gibson factory knobs (left) . Montreux time machine are of incredible quality. right color, shape. Even the dent on the top of the knob which I rarely see with high end knobs on this thread.

Last edited:

Hot_Snake

My old 2004 R8 :dang

Montreux parts were great.
I kept poker ring / jack plate / knobs from them of this guitar.
Poker ring nut was replaced by a Retrospec (why dont they make them anymore ?).
Switch tip was replaced by a DMC.
M69 rings were replaced by OTPG ones, less white and more bone colour. Good improvement.
Pickguard was replaced by a MojoAxe one.

Sold the guitar to buy a '59 ES330T.
I now have a 2016 TH58 ... i loved this 2004 R8 but the TH58 is so much better (feel / sound / weight) :)
I couldn't help myself to tweak the TH58 on some parts but didn't took any before / after pics.

duaneflowers

Wizz Vintage Wire Pups (with 1962 SG PAF Mags)
Over The Pond Rings (Vintage Haven)
Dave Johnson Relic Pickguard
Montreux Time Machine Collection 59 Relic Truss Rod Cover
Montreux Time Machine Collection 59 Cream Relic Jackplate
Montreux Time Machine Collection Toggle Switch Nut
Montreux Retrovibe Series Relic Gold Bell Knobs
Montreux Switchcraft Short Toggle Switch
Montreux Switchcraft Mono Military Jack
59Parts Aged Toggle Switch Plate
Jensen .022uF Copper Foil / Paper in Oil Audio Caps
Precision Electronics Corporation Military Spec Pots

40480816_10216240588423968_8589550316981059584_n.jpg

jkater

Wizz Vintage Wire Pups (with 1962 SG PAF Mags)
Over The Pond Rings (Vintage Haven)
Dave Johnson Relic Pickguard
Montreux Time Machine Collection 59 Relic Truss Rod Cover
Montreux Time Machine Collection 59 Cream Relic Jackplate
Montreux Time Machine Collection Toggle Switch Nut
Montreux Retrovibe Series Relic Gold Bell Knobs
Montreux Switchcraft Short Toggle Switch
Montreux Switchcraft Mono Military Jack
59Parts Aged Toggle Switch Plate
Jensen .022uF Copper Foil / Paper in Oil Audio Caps
Precision Electronics Corporation Military Spec Pots

40480816_10216240588423968_8589550316981059584_n.jpg

Beautiful!

Bruce R

Anyone know how to age the new looking Uncle Lou tips so they looked like the aged version?

Dan Erlewine did this to some replacement Klusons he installed on a 335 he was working on belonging to Rich Robinson, a video of this can be found on YouTube with a quick search.

I had a can of Amber-tinted nitro lacquer hanging around my garage and, after spraying a small amount into a cup, wiped it on my Klusons and quickly wiped it off. Turned out surprisingly well, just enough to age them a bit.

Last edited:

anthony466

Photo of Gibson Historic Rings fitted to 2005 LP GT Standard. Just slowly screwed them down. Almost flat but I will give them another few turns in a while.
Already got Historic knobs & pointers, plus Faber ABR-1.

Attachments

• IMG_20191119_203841.jpg
    IMG_20191119_203841.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 33