• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Upgrade Plastics Comparision Thread

Gold Tone

RS left, Historic right

DCP_0927.jpg

This is interesrting! Seems RS copied a Historic ring when making thier vintgae replicas. I say this since the markings on the bottom are in the same place for both rings. Vintage rings have the markings on the opposite side that Historic (and RS) do.

Interesting.

buyusfear

yeah but the RS M-69 is different then the historic M-69 imprint, if you look close.

Gold Tone

So both are wrong and different from eachother? I don't see the point in getting the imprint right but it's location a mirror image of the ring it is trying to replicate.

They got it 1/2 right.

RiverRatt

Ashbass, my wife was out shopping and picked up some of those painters palettes today. Do you know any way to laminate two of them? Looks like it would be about the right thickness. GREAT color, btw.

Upgrade Plastic's can we make this "sticky"

It would be nice if we could maintain a thread here (sticky
even?) that showed images of the various plastic parts that
are available to us now. This should be useful for determining
what color or fit or whatever piece you need when you are
looking to oufit your lp.

Any chance this could become sticky, I know I keep digging for it.

buyusfear

Here are some more.....

Historic toggle switch (homemade relic'ing)
RS toggle nut
Fatboy toggle washer
fatboyring.jpg

fatboyring2.jpg

Histroic rings installed on guitar, Fatboy Retrovibe rings loose on guitar(historic pickgaurd & RS tailpiece and RS vol/tone pointers)
Fatboyvshistoric1.jpg

Historic rings loose, Fatboy Retrovibe rings inside Histock pickgaurd
Fatboyvshistoric11.jpg

I too second the value of this thread, great refrences...

Macs69

Good stuff! How about the reflector knobs? Who has the best reproductions? Looking to buy a set for my new R0.

MIKE20

Good stuff! How about the reflector knobs? Who has the best reproductions? Looking to buy a set for my new R0.

...RetroSpec...they're the best repros I've seen for reflectors.

Visit the Historicmakeovers site.

PatentAppliedFor

had a "sticky" request for this thread and here's a shot of Angel (uninstalled) vs Historic plastic from a 2001 CA

angel%20vs%20historic%20authentic.jpg

Kluson

Hi Guys ...what's the best way to age the pickguard
cheers

guitarvoodoo

Formerly fishnose, Les Paul Forum Member
What would be EXTREMELY useful, apart from the marvelous photos and info in here already, would be photo comparisons of real-deal originals next to some of the copies.
I'm always looking for ways to make my guitar look old and original, not look like a new '60, so the way the parts looked then, in 58-60, is not terribly interesting as far as I'm concerned - how do they look now, in comparison to the replacement parts available (or homemade)?

If anyone has access to original parts for direct comparison, pleeeeeze.... :)

:] Fish

Buzz

All Access/Backstage Pass
I think Kiwi brown shoe polish is the people's choice...

Not anymore, the good stuff is Stewmac. Colortone vintage amber liquid dye. It's expensive but extremely concentrated, it has just the right tone. In order for stains to be absorbed the surface can not be like new. I use Micromesh from 1500 to 3200 to dull stuff down and give the dye something to bite into. Rubbing a guard on a short pile carpet really works well for a very natural wear, just rub in motion consistant with real playing wear. Wear latex gloves or your going to find out just how concentrated that dye is, for a few days.

buyusfear

Here are some more pics comparing the Fatboy Retrovibe rings to the stock Historic rings.

(note that I am expecting aged pickup covers and a lightly aged wireless abr, as I realize the shiny covers and bridge look a little off, with the tailpiece and studs)

Picture13.png

R7fatboy.jpg

Historic (left, losse) and DiMarzio (aged loose right)
Fatboy Installed
HistoricDimarzioFatboy.jpg

Last edited:

czarivan

Brand spankin new...
Historic Makeovers Inlays (historic spec)
HMinlays.jpg

and installed.

HM_install_done4.jpg

HM_install_done5.jpg

when they arrive, they're a bit dull and its kinda hard to see some of the detail of the figuring. to get an idea of what they'll look like installed, wipe them with a wet rag. Once installed, they are incredible!

Kim and Dave really outdid themselves with these. These will now surely be the ultimate plastics upgrade. Thanks Guys!
:salude