• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Upgrade Plastics Comparision Thread

czarivan

Here are more inlay comparison pics from my new buzzy makeover.
http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137087
you can also catch a glimpse of some Fatboy Retrovibe parts and a VC guard in there.

Side by side historrible and buzzy inlays pre installation (the yellow goes away once installed and sanded flush but leaves a nice vintage look)
1829168322_afb0ccda44_o.jpg

another angle
1828333069_04a4660e31_o.jpg

installed
1829167916_99462da9f3_o.jpg

and again
1828332593_ced0c1c1a6_o.jpg

and last but not least... the whole package. Buzzy Inlays, Fatboy Retrovibe Plastics, VC guard, VC toggle nut, DIY hardware Ageing (etchant)

1820996824_f46c46544f_o.jpg

ckiz

Clarification, please.....

If I'm inferring correctly, it seems like the generally accepted "vintage look" is bone white rings with a slightly more yellowed pick guard. Why does the pick guard yellow / age moreso than the rings on vintage guitars? I would assume they were both originally made from the same plastic resin.

DANELECTRO

Clarification, please.....

If I'm inferring correctly, it seems like the generally accepted "vintage look" is bone white rings with a slightly more yellowed pick guard. Why does the pick guard yellow / age moreso than the rings on vintage guitars? I would assume they were both originally made from the same plastic resin.

I don't know what the plastic composition is, but I think its unlikely that the material is the same since the manufacturing process is completely different. Pickup rings are injection molded (probably an ABS resin). Pickups, switch rings, and jackplates were cut from sheet material (could be ABS, Styrene,?). Most likely, the rings matched the guard when new, but then they yellowed differently over time.

ckiz

So the general consensus is that on a genuine vintage guitar the color of the rings and the pick guard will not match in color?

swervin55

Can someone offer some tuner tip comparisons. Looking to change but having trouble putting it all together. Thanks.

Browneyes

SWITCH TIPs

Here are some shots of Historic, RS, and Fatboy/VC tips. The color is Historic=mocca, RS=dark amber, Fatboy=light amber/yellow. I like the Fatboy tip best right now but have the RS within convenient reach for when I want a slightly different tone.

Has anyone else noticed the little dark areas at the tips of their switch tips? The last photo below shows the spot on each of these parts. I couldn't get the camera to get the necessary detail but there also appear to be two curved lines coming down out of each spot. :hmm

tips1.jpg

tips2.jpg

tips3.jpg

tips4.jpg

Is it me or are the pics of RS & Historic mixed up?

radioscooter

Must be a 'Burgh thing. I started this same series not that long ago

Here
and Here

and was about to get into the other plastic parts in the next installment...

Great shots.

cherrick

Les Paul Froum Member
Can someone offer some tuner tip comparisons. Looking to change but having trouble putting it all together. Thanks.

Likely candidates are
1) RS aged kluson single ring single line (not TonePros)
2) Fake58
3) Uncle Lou (3 levels of tips)

I don't think RS sells just the tips, but their complete tuner sets are great. Fake58's complete sets also are great. Uncle Lous sets depend on which level you buy.

simon

Some shots of the crappy "third choice" Uncle Lou's

IMG_8660.jpg

IMG_8652.jpg

IMG_8651.jpg

3.jpg

Left: 2001 Historic
Middle: Uncle Lou
Right: 2006 Historic

IMG_8672.jpg

2001 Historic and Uncle Lou

4.jpg

buyusfear

What happened to the fatboy retrovibe set on their site? I was looking on fatboys site and its not there anymore, the one that cost like 100'ish bucks for the rings, gaurd, washer, plate etc. The ones where color was right but not the mold marks.

Any info?

Last edited: