NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Troels

Re: 1952 ES-175 conversion help please

Who's got the guts to disturb that BEAUTIFUL old sunburst with a hole right where the sun is shining thru... ooohhhhhh I would NEVER do it!!!

T P...hmmm... = "Two Pickups..." or...??

Please don't take a router to it!

I've also got a 1952 ES175 (mine's blonde though) & I would never do anything to it in any way. They're just too wonderful a guitar to butcher & imo the single pick-up is much prettier than the double too (plus I love the woody sound you get due to where the neck pick-up is)

As other people have said why don't you just try & get hold of a 175D instead? This would be a better option but this is just my 2p worth...

Les Paul Forum Member Dutch53GT's Avatar

After seeing those pictures I would get a new es-175 for gigging and keep the old one next to my bed.

Les Paul Forum Member professor's Avatar

Rout it and play the shit out of it.

You only go 'round once, and life is WAY too short to play something other than what you want to be playing.
    Regards, Dave Orban

www.mojogypsies.com
    The Mojo Gypsies on Myspace
    Our Youtube Wanking

Gear
    '53 ES-175
    '03 Andersen Electric Archie
    '64 ES-330

'01 L4 CES
    '64 Silvertone Jupiter
    Parts Teles w/ Vintage Vibe or Don Mare pickups

'96 Matchless Chieftain 1x12 combo
    '54 Fender Deluxe
    '01 Alessandro Beagle and English
    '58 Gibson G8 Discoverer

Troels

Quote Originally Posted by professor View Post

You only go 'round once, and life is WAY too short to play something other than what you want to be playing.
    ...arggghhhhhh....

If you intend to play rather than just staring at it on a guitar stand or showing it at dinner parties then do the above.

The guitar will live longer then you and me together.

If you take good care of it.

That doesn't mean you can't play it.

Troels

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch53GT View Post
    The guitar will live longer then you and me together.

If you take good care of it.

That doesn't mean you can't play it.
    Exactly - and taken good care also includes keeping a guitar original.

Of course there are players guitars and collectors guitars - and there are something in between as well; players who actually gig with fine collectable guitars. I believe that an 1952 ES-175 and other finely crafted vintage guitars invites to a more sophisticated playing styles rather than playing "the shit out of it". With these types of guitars we are much more in the department of virtuousity where tones are produces as part of an art performed with brain, heart and fingersrather than plucking a piece of wood into a Marshall stack set on 10. And that's why it's normally not necessary to cut holes or change hardware. As a young player in the early 70s I destroyed at least 20 Stratocasters - many being fine instruments from the 60s - which I bought cheaply and changed just about everything - including bodies and necks. If I hadn't done that I could have sold them now (or my daugthers when I get a harp... (or a red hot coal bucket...)) for a fortune - but unfortunately such modified guitars are not worth much - and - for me personally these days - the thrill would be absolutely gone playing vintage guitars not being genuine and original in every sense.

I play the shit out of my '53 175, and believe me, it ain't plugged into a Marshall stack.

And making a professional modification is hardly what I would call "destroying" an instrument.

Different strokes, I guess.
    Regards, Dave Orban

www.mojogypsies.com
    Our Youtube Wanking

Gear
    '53 ES-175
    '64 ES-330

'01 L4 CES
    '64 Silvertone Jupiter

'54 Fender Deluxe
    '58 Gibson G8 Discoverer

Troels

I play the shit out of my '53 175, and believe me, it ain't plugged into a Marshall stack.

And making a professional modification is hardly what I would call "destroying" an instrument.

Different strokes, I guess.

I mean destroying in the sense of losing up to 2/3 of the guitars vintage value... because it's no longer in original - and therefore desireable - condition. It's somehow like fixing a guitar pick up in a Stradivarius violin. It feels a bit tasteless to me... also if it was done as a professional modification, I'm afraid.
    BTW... What means playing the shit out of a guitar??? Interesting to know what we means we put into different expressions. To me it doesn't sound like producing beautifull notes on a fine old guitar but rather more like The Ramones, Sex pistols or good old Townshend (of whom I've seen none playing the shit out of a vintage ES-175) treated their guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch53GT View Post
    Does the guy who builds archtops for a living ever held or modified an original?
    Held? - absolutely. Most archtops made by these luthiers are their own take on vintage instruments - e.g. the Charlie Christian ES 150 for Daniel Slaman's guitars, the big D'Angelicos for some of the other builders. I know they carefully studied vintage examples before completing their own designs. The sound and feel of these oldies were their primary inspiration for creating these guitars.

I've seen a few vintage archtop Gibsons in Slaman's shop that were in for repairs. Not sure about the other guys.

More importantly, these people are the best craftsmen you can find...if youi ever saw one of their instruments up close I am sure you will agree.

The one pup 175 is not rare, and will never be a holy grail instrument. I say rout the sucker - if that makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Troels View Post
    I mean destroying in the sense of losing up to 2/3 of the guitars vintage value... because it's no longer in original - and therefore desireable - condition. It's somehow like fixing a guitar pick up in a Stradivarius violin. It feels a bit tasteless to me... also if it was done as a professional modification, I'm afraid.
    BTW... What means playing the shit out of a guitar??? Interesting to know what we means we put into different expressions. To me it doesn't sound like producing beautifull notes on a fine old guitar but rather more like The Ramones, Sex pistols or good old Townshend (of whom I've seen none playing the shit out of a vintage ES-175) treated their guitars.
    You might lose some value to the AVH crowd, but there will be PLENTLY of guys who will appreciate the addition of the bridge pickup, and for whom it would be an improvement. It all depends on how it's done. If it's a butcher job, that's one thing. If it looks like it was there all along, that's another.

As for me, I'm not Johnny Smith, coaxing "Moonlight in Vermont" out of my guitar. But I am playing high-energy West Coast and Chicago-style blues and R&B, and I definitely ain't babying my guitar.

Some guys get it, others don't. Not the end of the world.
    Regards, Dave Orban

www.mojogypsies.com
    Our Youtube Wanking

Gear
    '53 ES-175
    '64 ES-330

'01 L4 CES
    '64 Silvertone Jupiter

'54 Fender Deluxe
    '58 Gibson G8 Discoverer

Troels

You might lose some value to the AVH crowd, but there will be PLENTLY of guys who will appreciate the addition of the bridge pickup, and for whom it would be an improvement. It all depends on how it's done. If it's a butcher job, that's one thing. If it looks like it was there all along, that's another.

As for me, I'm not Johnny Smith, coaxing "Moonlight in Vermont" out of my guitar. But I am playing high-energy West Coast and Chicago-style blues and R&B, and I definitely ain't babying my guitar.

You are right about that there will be plenty of buyers to such a guitar... but they will get it for a lot less than other guys would pay for it with no mods. And it's not necessarily yourself who are about to sell it - maybe it's your kids or your grandchildren... (if it's a keeper for you). Another aspect is that many, many things produced these days are not exactly made to last. Many things will be gone within few years. So maybe we should treat some of yesterdays things with a bit care simply to keep them around. BTW - like you I don't baby my guitars - but I don't treat them with abuse either - I treat my guitars like I treat my furnitures, my cars and my properties.
    Last edited by Troels; 10-29-07 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pentatone View Post
    IMO you won't have much tonal benefit, if at all, from a bridge pu in a hollowbody.
    That's just plain wrong. Gibson made 'em with two pickups for a reason.
    Regards, Dave Orban

www.mojogypsies.com
    Our Youtube Wanking

Gear
    '53 ES-175
    '64 ES-330

'01 L4 CES
    '64 Silvertone Jupiter

'54 Fender Deluxe
    '58 Gibson G8 Discoverer

Troels

That's just plain wrong. Gibson made 'em with two pickups for a reason.
    You'll miss the sound of two pups in connection... but a one pu guitar can be much more challenging... they are fun to play and you never have to think about which pu to use

You'll miss the sound of two pups in connection... but a one pu guitar can be much more challenging... they are fun to play and you never have to think about which pu to use
    Depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Maybe "more challenging" can also mean "less versatile"...

Think of a single-pickup Strat, for example.

Besides, it's not like he's talking about putting a Floyd Rose on there... just doing something that Gibson routinely did to their 175s.
    Regards, Dave Orban

www.mojogypsies.com
    Our Youtube Wanking

Gear
    '53 ES-175
    '64 ES-330

'01 L4 CES
    '64 Silvertone Jupiter

'54 Fender Deluxe
    '58 Gibson G8 Discoverer

I have an Eastman, about 2 1/2 hollowbody, spruce top, everything else is ebony, a beautiful looking, playing, sounding guitar, i sometimes use the middle position to obtain the tone/sound i want, i am generally playing with a base player and a singer, but that is about 15% of the time it just fits the room better sometimes. all of my other guitars with two humbuckers are generally used on the neck pickup only, about 95% of the time. So i really like the option of having two even tho i rarely use the bridge or middle position, and this goes for the guild x 175, washburn montegomery. I would easily deal with one pickup, and look at Wes, i just got his new dvd, gerat personal look at him conversing etc., not to digress too much.

I would personally leave it alone, one pickup will get the job done for jazz, the dude from "Yes", old age creeping in, i can't remember his name he may have used other than the neck, but for me and what i do the neck is what i need, so i wouldn't modify, but it is yours and you know what you are looking for tone wise.

If you decide to do, don't skimp on getting the best person, it would be a major tragedy to have something happen during the process by someone other than a real pro.

peace

In the 70's people thought drilling 6 holes in a 1953 LP GT was a very good idea, cuz it worked a lot better than the original bridge.

Not a holy grail, but still a shame.....
    Did it make the guitar better? Did it hurt the value? Was it a pro mod?

Quote Originally Posted by ES345 View Post

...If you decide to do, don't skimp on getting the best person, it would be a major tragedy to have something happen during the process by someone other than a real pro.

peace
    Indeed.
    Regards, Dave Orban

www.mojogypsies.com
    Our Youtube Wanking

Gear
    '53 ES-175
    '64 ES-330

'01 L4 CES
    '64 Silvertone Jupiter

'54 Fender Deluxe
    '58 Gibson G8 Discoverer

Les Paul Forum Member 58dutchie's Avatar

Well, I might add something to this discussion (after all it's my guitar); I don't play jazz on it, just high energy blues like Professor. I love to play that guitar, I won't be selling it and like Professor said, Gibson made them with two pickups also. So if it can be done in a way that you won't be able to see the difference with a genuine ES-175D, I really don't see the problem. Still have to think it over...

Quote Originally Posted by 58dutchie View Post
    Well, I might add something to this discussion (after all it's my guitar); I don't play jazz on it, just high energy blues like Professor. I love to play that guitar, I won't be selling it and like Professor said, Gibson made them with two pickups also. So if it can be done in a way that you won't be able to see the difference with a genuine ES-175D, I really don't see the problem. Still have to think it over...
    If you really think that way, just rout it. Not like it will kill someone.
    Good luck and please share pictures when you done it.

Les Paul Forum Member sine_wave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by keef View Post
    The one pup 175 is not rare, and will never be a holy grail instrument.
    What? ES-175 not a holy grail instrument?. Maybe not for people into southern rock or that kind of stuff, but for A LOT of people it is a holy grail instrument. The amazing players that helped make it famous prove that.

In terms of rarity, it depends what you're comparing it to. From 1949-53 it had one pickup. Then Gibson offered both. Most models I've seen for sale have two pickups(whether they're P90's or HB's). As far as I know Gibson didn't even make any more one pickup ES-175's after 1964. IMO, they're rare.

BTW, to the OP.... Don't you think you'll eventually get some satisfaction knowing you own a fine vintage Gibson that was not cut up? I'm a serious player so I don't get it when people say the only guys who like their guitars original just stare at them. Although, I sure do stare, when I'm not playing!

Troels

Depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Maybe "more challenging" can also mean "less versatile"...
    That's absolutely right... to sides of the same case. It's the lesser versatility that's makes it more challenging I think

To 58dutchie... well yes... we sometimes forget who started the thread and whos guitar it was all about. And now - when everything should be said it's probably right to ad that we are talking about 3.100 gr plywood and a piece og mahogany Nobodys hurt

This is a good thread - obviously there are two sides to the "mods" story, and this one get's complicated because 58dutchie loves the guitar and they were born on the same day!

One additional thought - if you haven't already,you might want to check out how a bridge pickup sounds in a 175. I had a 2 pickup '57 (blonde, lefty!) and I never used the bridge pickup. The PAF at the neck gave me plenty of clarity and treble when I needed it, and a P-90 certainly does not lack for high end.

Troels point is a good one - in the '70's a lot of us butchered guitars that we regretted later on. My biggest mod is taking a '52 lefty refin goldtop and doing the full '57 conversion. If the guitar wasn't already modded, I would not have altered anything.

Good luck with whatever decision you make!

Troels

Quote Originally Posted by ES335TD View Post
    This is a good thread - obviously there are two sides to the "mods" story, and this one get's complicated because 58dutchie loves the guitar and they were born on the same day!

One additional thought - if you haven't already,you might want to check out how a bridge pickup sounds in a 175. I had a 2 pickup '57 (blonde, lefty!) and I never used the bridge pickup. The PAF at the neck gave me plenty of clarity and treble when I needed it, and a P-90 certainly does not lack for high end.

Troels point is a good one - in the '70's a lot of us butchered guitars that we regretted later on. My biggest mod is taking a '52 lefty refin goldtop and doing the full '57 conversion. If the guitar wasn't already modded, I would not have altered anything.

Good luck with whatever decision you make!
    I think it's a good thread too and there are obviously two types of guitar lovers... those who mod to get something new and those who don't to take care of something old Luckily we live side by side without too much fight (except here ) Actually mod'ing is a sort of age-phaenomen - you do it untill you finally realize that most guitars play their best the way they left the factory. Guitar mod'ing end somewhere between 40 and 55 years of age . After that you have only energy enough to play the guitars - no longer to pull pots and things in and out of f-holes. At least that's the conclusion I came to after being "The King of Guitar Modifications" for most of the 70s and stop selling them in the 80s. Strangely enough I've never modified an amp (but I remember having had an electric chok while testing an old Teisco 8 watt with a 6" speaker)... but that's probably another thread somewhere else

I think it's a good thread too and there are obviously two types of guitar lovers... those who mod to get something new and those who don't to take care of something old Luckily we live side by side without too much fight (except here ) Actually mod'ing is a sort of age-phaenomen - you do it untill you finally realize that most guitars play their best the way they left the factory. Guitar mod'ing end somewhere between 40 and 55 years of age . After that you have only energy enough to play the guitars - no longer to pull pots and things in and out of f-holes. At least that's the conclusion I came to after being "The King of Guitar Modifications" for most of the 70s and stop selling them in the 80s. Strangely enough I've never modified an amp (but I remember having had an electric chok while testing an old Teisco 8 watt with a 6" speaker)... but that's probably another thread somewhere else
    And that coming from someone who recently sawed off a piece of the fingerboard of his 330....The King of Guitar Modifications, indeed.

Mind you - I would never do the 175 mod myself. The owner says he will never part with the guitar since it was made on his birthday. So who are we to tell him not to go ahead with the mod - we're not the fucking vintage guitar police.

Check the current thread on pro mods to see what real players did to their guitars. This guy is not going to jail for doing the mod, and he's not hacking up the Mona Lisa either. Rout and be happy.

Troels

Quote Originally Posted by keef View Post
    And that coming from someone who recently sawed off a piece of the fingerboard of his 330....The King of Guitar Modifications, indeed.
    LOL... Now you've really got a point... but my excuse was/is that I HAD to get it to play in tune. I wanted/want to gig with it - and I HATE when guitars won't play in tune... I wasn't desparate - but close. BUT - to be honest I've returned it back to original (yes... put back that millimeter I took away plus a tad) because I had trouble tuning it. The guitar did play VERY well in tune after my first operation - but I didn't know how to systematically get there (I couldn't fret similar notes and flageoletto overtones matched anywhere...) I'm quite clever with my hands so it's completely invisible... you see many years of mod have turned me into a master
    I've learned one thing: it's VERY scary how even small changes in fingerboard length/mensure and things like that can make it or breake it... I'm not a fretboards theoretical (spell?) so I can't explain why but it's better in tune than ever now

and finally... the fucking vintage guitar police... I like that wonder what the uniforms look like
    Last edited by Troels; 10-30-07 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Something to ad and something to correct

Quote Originally Posted by 58dutchie View Post
    Hi Tuberide,

I won't sell it because I had Gibson track down the shipping ledgers by it's serial number and it appeared to been 'born' on the same day as I was! So I'll NEVER part from it...
    Maybe think of it this way... you're getting older, right? Would you have plastic surgery to try to look "better"? I thought not. You are perfect just the way you were born. So is this guitar! It shares your birthday. It is a precious timeslice from the fifties... just like you. Please, keep it the way it was created... just like you.

Best wishes, and thanks for sharing,

Mahalo

Mahalo, are you from down under? if so i was on R&R from RVN in '68 in Manly.

I think gibson reissued some 175's with P90's, you could even put a bigsby on it, go for one of those and keep this beauty as it is, it is nice, very nice, to have an original in original condition.

peace

If the guitar will theoretically survive for hundreds more years, the fact that the current owner won't sell it for another 30-40 years is not that significant.

For clean original vintage pieces, I think we need to consider ourselves caretakers of these items for whatever time we own them (even for life, as in this case).

Based on this, I recommend not doing any irreversible mods to the guitar.

Also, even when done professionally, mods like this CAN and often DO affect the sound of the guitar itself. if you love it like it is, will you love it if it changes? Who knows - it's a craps shoot.

That said, there are probably ways of installing a floating pickup to give you more variety. Maybe it won't be a 50's P90 in the bridge, but it would be a compromise. It would also allow you to try different pickups to see what works for you.

Les Paul Forum Member 58dutchie's Avatar

Hello to you all,

After reading all the posts and thinking it over (and playing the guitar) I have decided NOT to change the guitar... I love it as it is and (being a history teacher myself) I agree that 'we' have to treasure the old and vintage guitars, not only for ourselves but also for the future. It really is a great sounding AND great looking guitar as it is and I think I will buy me another one (cheaper and not that old) to do the things I want to. I just don't have the guts to rout it....thanks everyone for all your help and comments! This forum rules!!!

Quote Originally Posted by treeofpain View Post
    That said, there are probably ways of installing a floating pickup to give you more variety. Maybe it won't be a 50's P90 in the bridge, but it would be a compromise. It would also allow you to try different pickups to see what works for you.
    That's an interesting idea. Fralin makes an alnico fixed polepiece P90 without the bar magnets -- it can be surface mounted. With a little clever engineering, you could install one of those under a standard dogear cover with a spacer, run the pickup wire under the pickguard, install a hidden toggle there, and leave the guitar intact structurally with minimal marks on the top.

Bunch of sissies...!

LOL!
    Regards, Dave Orban

www.mojogypsies.com
    Our Youtube Wanking

Gear
    '53 ES-175
    '64 ES-330

'01 L4 CES
    '64 Silvertone Jupiter

'54 Fender Deluxe
    '58 Gibson G8 Discoverer

Les Paul Forum Member

Bunch of sissies...!

LOL!
    Just when I was about to suggest that the new hole would provide great access for installing a soundpost or two to control feedback while playing the shit out of that guitar, Dutchie backs out?! The soundposts would also preclude any worry about the top sinking in.
    Nice guitar, Dutchie. Seriously, if it were mine, I would not do the mod. I have a badly refinned early '60's ES-125T single p-90 that I strangely love. I am a bridge pup kind of guy, but this 125 just screams with a certain lower midrange thing that I don't need any options when playing it. Since it is much aboused cosmetically, I am going to put a new finish on it and have some poster girl artwork done, though. IF it were as clean as yours, I wouldn't touch anything about it.
    "As soon as man does not take his existence for granted, but beholds it as something unfathomably mysterious, thought begins." Albert Schweitzer

No point in doing it.
    Sell it and buy a 2 pickup version. The difference will probably be the cost of hacking this one up.
    Of course, it's yours to do what you want with, but I wouldn't.

I guess I probably shouldn't bring up my plan to re-neck a Trini Lopez here, huh...?!?
    Regards, Dave Orban

www.mojogypsies.com
    Our Youtube Wanking

Gear
    '53 ES-175
    '64 ES-330

'01 L4 CES
    '64 Silvertone Jupiter

'54 Fender Deluxe
    '58 Gibson G8 Discoverer

Les Paul Forum Member

I guess I probably shouldn't bring up my plan to re-neck a Trini Lopez here, huh...?!?

Why not start a new thread just to keep the things separate. Sounds interesting? I never liked those headstocks on a Gibson anyway..
    "As soon as man does not take his existence for granted, but beholds it as something unfathomably mysterious, thought begins." Albert Schweitzer

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Why not start a new thread just to keep the things separate. Sounds interesting? I never liked those headstocks on a Gibson anyway..
    Oh, I like the headstock. It's the pencil necks that don't work for me. ;-)
    Regards, Dave Orban

www.mojogypsies.com
    Our Youtube Wanking

Gear
    '53 ES-175
    '64 ES-330

'01 L4 CES
    '64 Silvertone Jupiter

'54 Fender Deluxe
    '58 Gibson G8 Discoverer

Les Paul Forum Member

Professor, I hear that. IF it were not for the round profile, I would have to let go of my skiny necked '66 Es-345. The roundness fills my hand, and I can adapt....especially since I've known my old friend for 40 years.
    Since we're going with this, here's a question. Is there a difference at the body joint between the wide and narrow neck Gibsons?

Troels

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    I never liked those headstocks on a Gibson anyway..
    ...and I've never liked the f-ho... erhhh... holes... so what about a new top before the professor plays the shit out of the damn thing??? BTW... why not just glue a piece of wood right onto the neck??