• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1952 ES-175 conversion help please

58dutchie

Hello there!

I have a 1952 Gibson ES-175 that I'm going to convert into an ES-175D (two P-90's). Who can give me some info on which toggle switch to use (long?), which 2 extra pots (short, 500K?) and which capacitor? Any help would be great!!! For the pickup I have a Seymour Duncan Antiquity Bridge P90 dogear in mind...:hmm
And by the way, for all of you in Holland/Belgium/Germany, do you know anyone who I can trust in letting him (or her) do the job???

Gitaar213.jpg
[/IMG]

T

Troels

Hello there!

I have a 1952 Gibson ES-175 that I'm going to convert into an ES-175D (two P-90's). Who can give me some info on which toggle switch to use (long?), which 2 extra pots (short, 500K?) and which capacitor? Any help would be great!!! For the pickup I have a Seymour Duncan Antiquity Bridge P90 dogear in mind...:hmm
And by the way, for all of you in Holland/Belgium/Germany, do you know anyone who I can trust in letting him (or her) do the job???

Gitaar213.jpg
[/IMG]

It's matter of taste and money which parts to use ... but one thing is sure: You'll lose a fortune right away. Why not keep it as is and then buy another ES 175 with the number of pick ups you wan't? If it's done wrongly btw the guitar will be destroyed... sometimes people cut thru the top braces in order to make space for the PU route causing the top to sink (a new PU route itself will accellerate the sinking proces as well...).

58dutchie

It's matter of taste and money which parts to use ... but one thing is sure: You'll lose a fortune right away. Why not keep it as is and then buy another ES 175 with the number of pick ups you wan't? If it's done wrongly btw the guitar will be destroyed... sometimes people cut thru the top braces in order to make space for the PU route causing the top to sink (a new PU route itself will accellerate the sinking proces as well...).

Hi Troels,
Thanks for your comment. I'm sure I won't sell the guitar so the worth of it is not that important. It's just that I miss a snarling bridge pickup on it! But your story on the braces makes me think...don't know if there are braces in it on that spot???

tuberide

It would be a sad day if that beauty were cut for another pickup and controls. Please consider selling and getting a '53-'56 double.

58dutchie

It would be a sad day if that beauty were cut for another pickup and controls. Please consider selling and getting a '53-'56 double.

Hi Tuberide,

I won't sell it because I had Gibson track down the shipping ledgers by it's serial number and it appeared to been 'born' on the same day as I was! So I'll NEVER part from it...:bday:

tuberide

Yeah that is a keeper for sure, but consider that one day it will pass on to the next owner unless you bury it with you. Keep it unmolested and get another double for that snarling bridge tone you desire....maybe even consider a 330 TD. Whatever you do good luck.

toxpert

or ... simply consider and appreciate the guitar for what it is. This is a real beauty. Keep it as is and enjoy it for what it was meant to be.

The thought of that wood top screaming out as the router saws away the wood fibers is enough to make a grown man cry.

If you want a screaming P-90 bridge pickup sound ... go with a Les Paul Junior. Now there's a snarling dog !!!! A single pickup LP junior, IMHO, is the only way to go for getting that bridge pickup snarl,,,,

pentatone

IMO you won't have much tonal benefit, if at all, from a bridge pu in a hollowbody. You have a dream of an ES175 - leave it alone and enjoy it.

T

Troels

Hi Troels,
Thanks for your comment. I'm sure I won't sell the guitar so the worth of it is not that important. It's just that I miss a snarling bridge pickup on it! But your story on the braces makes me think...don't know if there are braces in it on that spot???

There are indeed braces running the full lenght of the guitar - glued to the inside surface of the top... and they will end up being very close to the edges of a P-90 route (actually flush with the edges) and only a little bit of with the router - the diaster will appear... Even skilled craftsmen make mistakes with that from time to time. I do know the "not-sell" argumentation - but to me it would be a matter of respect for fine old workmanship and an absolutely high quality musical instrument. Gibson made the absolutely best guitars these years in the early 50s... soooo :)

ES345

I am primarily a jazz player, 98% of what i do is on the neck pickup, and i could live without the middle or bridge pup the other 2%, it is yours to do with as you would see fit, but the small consenus is not to molest it. Have you played a large hollowbody with a snarling bridge, i have always found the feedback too much to deal with in that situation. Is the Bigsby original?

A fine looking guitar that a lot of jazz men used with just the single p 90

peace

58dutchie

I am primarily a jazz player, 98% of what i do is on the neck pickup, and i could live without the middle or bridge pup the other 2%, it is yours to do with as you would see fit, but the small consenus is not to molest it. Have you played a large hollowbody with a snarling bridge, i have always found the feedback too much to deal with in that situation. Is the Bigsby original?

A fine looking guitar that a lot of jazz men used with just the single p 90

peace

Hello ES345,

I don't know if the Bigsby is original, probably not. It looks old and has been on the guitar for a long time, but I haven't seen that many old ES-175's with a factory Bigsby. I still have the original tailpiece, but it's broke. So that might be the reason someone put a Bigsby on it someday...
Because of all the reactions here I'm starting to doubt if I should go on with the conversion. I would absolutely die if something went wrong...:hmm

MapleFlame

You have a very nice example there, and if it was a project guitar, I would say yes, but get it back to original, and then save and find a basket case, or project 175 that will have the capabilities of two p90's

professor

Get a competent luthier involved and you should have no serious problems with devaluation.

Seoighs

58dutchie:

A couple of points. Your ES175 is a gorgeous piece, made more special by the fact that it is cosmically 'bound' to you at birth. I believe the Bigsby is original, as that was an option offered on all Gibson electrics through 1966, when Ted McCarty left the Company. I think I read that when the Bigsby's were installed, they included the stock tailpiece when shipping the guitar. Regardless of factory or dealer install, a Bigsby is consistent with the
ES175 model. They will not be maiking any more ES 175's on the same day you are born.

I would implore you NOT to modify this fine instrument, but enjoy it in its present form. As others have pointed out, there are many options (including a brand new LP Jr. for under $500 US) to enable you to enjoy a stronger 'bridge bite' when you play - please consider those. Naturally, you may do as you wish, but at some level, you want to consider the provenence, posterity, and historical value of the guitar.

professor

Gibson made single- and double-pickup 175s based on a guestimate of market demand. They are structurally identical.

Like I said, having a competent luthier add a bridge pickup would only devalue the guitar to an AVH, most of whom don't really look for 175s int the first place.

They're too busy stripping parts off of old 175s to put onto their replicas or reissues, so they can pretend that they have "old wood"... LOL!

If you plan on actually playing the guitar, do what makes you happy.

58dutchie

Gibson made single- and double-pickup 175s based on a guestimate of market demand. They are structurally identical.

Like I said, having a competent luthier add a bridge pickup would only devalue the guitar to an AVH, most of whom don't really look for 175s int the first place.

They're too busy stripping parts off of old 175s to put onto their replicas or reissues, so they can pretend that they have "old wood"... LOL!

If you plan on actually playing the guitar, do what makes you happy.

Hi Dave,

Well, I use it a lot. That's why I would loveto have a bridge P90 on it so it would be more versatile. The neck P90 absolutely roars! Those early 50's P90s sound different/better than lets say an early 60's one (also have a '62 ES-330). I would love to turn it into a 295-like guitar.

professor

Hi Dave,

Well, I use it a lot. That's why I would loveto have a bridge P90 on it so it would be more versatile. The neck P90 absolutely roars! Those early 50's P90s sound different/better than lets say an early 60's one (also have a '62 ES-330). I would love to turn it into a 295-like guitar.
Ditto on the 50s P90s...

My '53 175 has been my main gigging guitar for the last 5 years or so. I've tried pretty much all of the boutique P90 pickups out there, and, while some come pretty close, nothing I've played sounds quites as good to my ears as the old ones.

58dutchie

Ditto on the 50s P90s...

My '53 175 has been my main gigging guitar for the last 5 years or so. I've tried pretty much all of the boutique P90 pickups out there, and, while some come pretty close, nothing I've played sounds quites as good to my ears as the old ones.

IMHO the Seymour Duncan Antiquity P90 'dogear' comes the closest. Would you agree?
By the way, if I decide to do so, to find a decent Luthier that can do the job or has this done before will be the hardest part...

professor

IMHO the Seymour Duncan Antiquity P90 'dogear' comes the closest. Would you agree?
That has been my experience.

I'm actually thinking abut retrofitting a Steve Andersen Electric Archie with Antiquity P90s...

Dutch53GT

I wouldn't do it, but it's your guitar. I think it's great you know you won't sell it, do whatever you want.

The hardest part is finding a shop that can do the job, the right way. My '53 needs new frets and I scared as hell some Dutch butcher will F. it up.