• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Tuners with built in winders?

Uncle Gary

I've seen a lot of Les Pauls from that era whose frets were filed to "fretless wonder" status due to wear and repeated dressings.

In those days, luthiers who could do a first class fret job were few and far between, so many of us just kept dressing the frets down as they wore as we were afraid to get them refretted.

Stevedenver

You're just a nOoB and you're wrong. (just kidding - sarcasm)

Chris
chris i visited youre website-i see youre in the perpetual hall of douche bags!LOL

also just pulling youre leg-i did enjoy your clips-

steve

FretNot

Any particular reason these types of tuners fell out of popularity? Did any of those winder levers start to fall out after regular use?

stephan_l

Any particular reason these types of tuners fell out of popularity? Did any of those winder levers start to fall out after regular use?

Makes me wonder, too. My LP is "only" 26 years old, but the crank tuners work like they did on the first day the guitar comes to life.
Would be hard to find the same tuner if they fall apart some day. Gibson doesn´t offer them as replacement i think.

oldfaithful

I've got a set on my '81 standard. They say Gibson on the back and are about the sweetest invention since sliced bread. Now, since someone put these things on my guitar as a modification (pretty sure they only came on the Custom), they elected NOT to drill a hole for the screw which would normally fasten the tuner to the headstock. A wise move, I think, if anyone ever puts a set on their guitar. I have no idea why they don't still offer them.

J.D.

I would guess it's on account of the extra expense to mfg.

DV8

my 85 custom silverburst has them. it is stock as far as i know. I like them.

Wow really, I would like to see a pic. It's not that I don't believe you it is just that if it is a Silverburst (my fav) then your winders are nickel right? I have only seen them in gold.

J.D.

Mine were chrome (not nickel or gold), as was all of the hardware.

silverbursting

DV8 i will try and get a pic of them tonight since i am at work, but yes they are nickel, silverburst happens to be one of my all time favs as well.

LeftyLP

I have the Schaller speed winders on my lefty 81 Silverburst. Oddly, my silverburst was ordered from the factory with gold hardware, and it being a lefty probably makes it exceedingly rare. I just picked it up a few months ago. Monster tone!
I actually found a set of chrome Schallers with the speed winder feature on ebay in case I wanted to switch the hardware to chrome. The box says "Manufactured in West Germany". What do you guys think...gold or chrome?

07e1_1.jpg

0614_1.jpg

06ef_1.jpg

stephan_l

Gold! :2cool

And your speed winders have the "Schaller" logo on the back?

I cant find the speed winders on the german schaller website. Maybe they no longer produce them. I ask via e-mail and will post it here if i recieve an answer.

Deetea

From the posts going back to 2007, it seem so that winding tuners were from 1980. My left GLP Custom is from 1980. They are good, almost invisible, and really sped up string changes. Gold, or gold painted,
BTW I bought in Baltimore sight unseen, wasn’t worried about the colour which is very deep red/plum which I haven’t seen often, or at all.

Daddylonglegs406

...winders...were available stock from approximately 1978 to 1984...and have seen them on a couple of '86's as well...
I recently purchased a set of these (just the buttons) and they don't fit on any machine heads i've tried. I have a lp deluxe i was intending on putting them on and they didnt fit. The worm gear shaft hole in the winder button was too small. So i tried to put them on my customs because they both have the same winders. Then i tried every other guitar i own and they dont fit anything So my question is if you might know if these are a possible manufacturing error or if there was a machine head with a smaller diameter worm gear shaft

Grog

These don’t pop up hardly at all & if they do they ask a fortune for them.........

SV8eqS8.jpg

malik123

I have a set on my '81 norm. They state Gibson on the back and are about the best development since cut bread. Presently, since somebody put these things on my guitar as an alteration (almost certain they just went ahead the Custom), they chose NOT to bore an opening for the screw which would ordinarily secure the tuner to the headstock. A savvy move, I think, on the off chance that anybody actually puts a set on their guitar. I have no clue about why they don't at present offer them. telecharger ge force

Last edited:

Big Daddy Class

Gibson still offered these at least until 2002 on the Country Gentleman model. I have not seen them used since that time.