• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

nitrocellulose damage - how do I fix it? Help!

TJ2371

I damaged my black finish explorer , I've fucked it up really bad with just some deodorant , please help!

Hotshot

Once you post a pic it will help a lot.

As some of you know, I like working with Nitro and have done a few refins on here and will share what I learned.

I was asked to restore my friends dads 61 Harmony. The headstock was an utter mess. It was sprayed with a non matching black, and looked awful. I was bubbling too. The top had to be stripped to the wood, re stained and re sprayed.

What’s worse is how back the smoke damage was. I tried everything I had clean and get that smoke off. I started with lighter fluid, and went to a drill buff with polishes.. nothing. 40% progress at best and still a cloud.

In in the end the only thing that took it off was wet sanding the whole thing in 1500 grit. I was removing a micronic layer of nitro and a thick layer of nicotine and DNA.

After that I went to the pedisatal bufffer. The only thing that brought it back to its vintage lister and the checking was unaltered.

Moral an of the story, nitro can always be fixed and blended into the old finish. And to go slow and really think of the best way to approach the task. Once you start you are committed. On his project I had a spray day of nothing but blush. Had to fix that too..

glad and you fixed yours. It’s a good group we have here.

IMG_2673-L.jpg
IMG_3472-L.jpg

IMG_3997-L.jpg

IMG_3489-L.jpg

PaulD

I can't find Micro-Mesh anywhere in London (or the UK) and have not so far been able to find wet & dry paper finer than 1200.

Google micromesh - it is widely available from many UK suppliers. You should be able to get 2000 wet and dry from most automotive suppliers, I bought some from my local Halfords store recently.

Arnold M.

Hmmm, I wouldn't have guessed that rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol would've done anything. I wonder about booze (ethyl) alcohol? Do I have to worry if I spill my beer?
I spilled some EVERCLEAR 190 proof, 95% alcohol on the guitar the other night and it 100% removed the nitro finish .. fear the booze !!!

latestarter

El Gringo

Gib’s Son

I’m a luthier here in SoCal and the buffing sandpaper’s from StewMac and some of their tutorials will help anyone out with future finish problems. Best of luck!

rockinlespaul

I had this happen to me, and it scared the shit out of me! I had just sold the guitar! Agh!

I was seriously freaking out and I called my tech and took his advice.

McGuire's Ultimate Compound and also their Ultimate Polish. Worked like a charm. Thank God.

Cream Fan

I would assume the alcohol on nitro issue would also extend to using hand sanitizers just prior to playing?

metropolis

Google micromesh - it is widely available from many UK suppliers. You should be able to get 2000 wet and dry from most automotive suppliers, I bought some from my local Halfords store recently.

I was about to say the same as I bought some recently too, but his post was 2007 when it probably wasn't as readily available! :)

Uncle Gary

I would assume the alcohol on nitro issue would also extend to using hand sanitizers just prior to playing?

I can also say with assurance to beware of sunscreen and insect repellent. Both will soften and destroy niitro lacquer.