• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Tailpiece Bushing Grounding

Bainzy

And Bainzy cannot [nor can anyone else] "make a Burst".
Maybe he can make a replica, or something similar.
If so, I hope he doesn't put "Gibson" on the headstock.

Amen to that - hence why I decided to go with a Korina back instead, it's my creation and not an original burst. I'm definately not putting Gibson on the headstock as they didn't build it nor do they pay me to advertise their brand name, but I think I'll probably leave it blank as I didn't design it either. :hmm

DoubleBoogie

DB, did you try several guitars to make sure it wasn't a noisy electrical source, or that flourescent lamps were not being used in the room, computers on,,etc...

Noisy power sources exascerbate the feared 60 cycle hum...

In the case I referred to, I actually compared one humbucker equipped Les Paul to 4 other humbucker Les Pauls under the same conditions. The one in question was noticeably noisier than the others. As I think back on it, it was more prevalent when the flourescents were on in the room next door. The noise was much more noticeable with this guitar than the others and me and a friend could never figure it out by looking at the wiring. We never put a meter on it to check the ground wire connection at the tailpiece though so that could have possibly been it.

DoubleBoogie

Where does the 03R6 fit in that range? One of the noisier ones? Quiet?

I really don't have much experience with P90 guitars Chuck. It is noisier than the Humbuckers and noticeably more sensitive to the flourescent lights (more Fender like) but I couldn't tell you whether it is noisier than other P90 equipped guitars or not. By the way, I just got back into town so I will be packing it up over the weekend.

plaintop60

Don't forget the dreaded dimmer switch. These things wreak havoc, and environmental bulbs do too. Also I've seen those stupid little diode disks that fit into the bottom of a light socket and are supposed to be energy saving cause problems with interference. I once had a hum problem that happened only with cetain guitars. I found the problem with an O-scope. It was a defective electric water heater element.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Amen to that - hence why I decided to go with a Korina back instead, it's my creation and not an original burst. I'm definately not putting Gibson on the headstock as they didn't build it nor do they pay me to advertise their brand name, but I think I'll probably leave it blank as I didn't design it either. :hmm

Maybe an design instead of a name? :salude

jpoprock

Can you tell me how to set and use my multimeter so I can try this? I'm new to using them, and no electrician. I suspect that my ground wire from my PU cavity to my bridge post is broken too badly to give a good connection. It's still in tact, but the wires are all frayed.

jpoprockLPwiring15.jpg

Jason

J.D.

Just put it on Ohms (resistance). One lead to the post and one lead to the output jack ground. You should see 0 Ohms, or something very close. Any significant resistance measurement and you could have a poor ground (make sure your leads and test locations are very clean and making good contacts).