• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Anyone own a Les Paul Voodoo?

WytLytnyn

I played a Voodoo LP a few years ago in a shop in ATL.

Can't remember what they wanted for it (~$1100USD?) but it had some strange buzzing (probably due to a lousy setup). I was thinking (per the previous post alluding to this) that it was differently finished ash Studio with a funky paint job. This particular example had a lot of fretbuzz, acoustically didn't really impress and the pickups were blah. That being said, it seemed like a decent guitar with potential and if I were in the market for my first LP, I would have considered it. At the time, I had an LPS and an awesome SG at home, so my attention then turned to the used amp collection the shop had.

I think that I found my silverface Fender VibroChamp that day which I still have.

SadHunk1982

I want one too, i played one back in 2003, i guess. I couldn't afford it then, but i loved it.

I can afford it now, if you wanna sell me one of the originals from '03, not the reissue, please contact me!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How does the guitar compare to other Les Pauls tonewise? Any other thoughts about them?

I'm think about picking a used one up and was just looking for advice from people that own or have played one.

Boosttt

Yes I own a Les Paul Voodoo

I had a LP VooDoo and had to sell it. Desperate for cash. I could never stop thinking about it and ended up buying the same LP VooDoo again. I do most of my recordings with this guitar and I have no idea how people are making this guitar sound harsh or distorted???? It Can scream out harmonics, but it can also sound just as warm as my LP Custom with Tim Shaw PUPs. It doesn't sound as wonderful as the Tim Shaws, but has a tremendous range. I absolutely love the black and red grain. It is a very well made guitar. and I have owned several LP standards that felt much more flawed and played much worse. I really don't like the 5th fret inlay, but everything else about this guitar is solid!!!! It never goes out of tune and I love the sound. All my Standards are gone. I'd never get rid of my LP VooDoo. I LOVE IT!!!!!

Boosttt

If anyone thinks the VooDoo is a bad investment.....Sell me yours!

I just want to add. I'm talking about the 2003 Les Paul VooDoo. It has an ebony fretboard, which cost 40 times more than rosewood, so They didn't cheap out like some may be suggesting. I love the PUPs and if you don't then don't buy one. If you know anything about guitars, a good way to tell if they are a hit is to just look at how much the price of these have increased. They are currently selling for right about $2000 on Reverb and the same year standards are selling for less: $1600. All you haters out there must be in the minority because the world market has spoken loud about the popularity and desire to own one of these great guitars. Not everyone likes twanging country sounding guitars. There are millions of those to choose from. The VooDoo has more character, values are really increasing, and they are really solidly built. Peace!

Boosttt

Ok - I will rephrase...

Anyone who bought one at that price is a mug.

By the way... this was the retail price at a UK Guitar Store... perhaps I should be pointing my finger at the merchants... needless to say 18 months later the guitars were still there.

Also - what the market will bear is a fair price? Spoken like a true capitalist.
Unfortunately "what the market will bear" is spin. The truth is more to do with the command of a closed market, market barriers and price fixing - the prevention of any would-be wholesaler or retailer entering the market and selling at a true "fair" price. This is where "grey" markets evolve, and which are generally shut down ASAP by the existing players - so much for capitalism and free enterprise eh?!!

Umm.....The people who bought the Voodoo new now have a guitar worth much more than they paid. They are all going for more than the standards from the same year.