• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Cutting Fret Wire

lhrocker

Since most fret wire is sold in pieces, stew-mac are 2 feet lengths, how do you cut them to length? Will pliers do or should it be sawn?

How much should be left overhanging, and how should that be trimmed?

Thanx,
Peter

Ed Rafalko

Les Paul Forum Member
It sall depends on how familiar you are with your tools. MOST people cut them to about a half inch over length with wire cutters or pliers, then clip them with nippers on the ends and file them smooth. I don't, though- I pre-radius the whole length of fretwire, lay it in the slot with about an 8th inch on the outside edge, and cut the other edge nearly flush with a dremel cutoff wheel. Then I put a dab of glue on the fret tang and press the fret into the slot with an arbor chucked up in my drill press. This saves me about a foot a guitar in wasted wire. Instead of more than a half inch per fret that I'm trimming off, I trim away less than a quarter inch per fret- and usually it's less than an 8th inch. I'd rather use 11 inches less fretwire .
Now, I don't recommend this for everyone- it takes a very steady hand with the dremel to do it, and it's not easy to press the frets in when they're that short.

John Catto

Hey what do you know, I use the dremel cut off wheels too Ed. I think they tend to deform the ends of the wire less than using nippers.

Scott Stulken

You can save a lot of wire in the long run by cutting it after installing it! With most guitars, you can fret the whole thing with just two of those 2" lengths. That Dremel cutoff wheel trick sounds really good, Ed. I've been using side cutters! Hideo Kamimoto uses his three-corner file to saw off each fret.

There have been some great discussions on fretting at the Musical Instrument Makers Forum (www.mimf.com) I encourage all of you to check it out sometime.

Cheers,
- Scott, the aspiring luthier

Tonefiend

Fiendish One
I watched them do it at Taylor. They have them all pre cut. Then they tap one end in with a hammer. Then they put them on the arbor press, and squeeze them in one at a time.
About 1 minute total time to fret the neck. This is done while the neck is square, before the heel is glued on.
The CNC machine trims the ends of the frets perfectly. Pretty amazing. They use no glue, just friction.
They have the blade on the cnc that cuts the slot dialed in to the perfect thickness.

Ed Rafalko

Les Paul Forum Member
Al Liggins pointed me in the direction of the MIMF last year, Scott. I've found some great info there.
I need to find a copy of American Luthier #65- there's a neck jig for a router that I REALLY want to try out, but can't find anywhere!
I never read anywhere to use the dremel and cut it after installing, but it seems to work well for me.

Dave Paetow

Les Paul Forum Member
I refretted my Korina V last weekend using my friends Stew-Mac Neck jig and the Jaws vise grip fret press tool. Now, that's the set up! Best fret job I've ever done. Now I just need about $500 for a jig and a Jaws! I'm sold on the neck jig.

I use a waverly fret bender, saves time, and I've bent a LOT of wire with it over the years. Handy tool. I've been back cutting the tangs with a tang nipper, even on unbound necks. I use a slow dry super glue in the fret slots, I've had good luck with that. I usually leave around 1/4" hanging off the sides or so. I used to leave more, but I didn't know any better then. My nippers is a real old Channel Lock nipper that I ground the face flush on a belt sander. I've been using it for 16 years, still works for me.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=135458&a=13668894&f=0

Last edited: