• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Elliot Easton- Did he beat EVH to finger tapping?

Frank C

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifd5oYWCKPc

I'm not going to say it's impossible to play...but this is one bad ass Easton solo, tone, and technique. There was a video out there that showed what he was doing with his fingers a little more...but if you listen to it's closely it's fast, acurate, rockabilly and flat out cool. There is also a lesson on there somewhere showing how to play the solo, but you can't see everything that's going on with the neck.
My band was going to do this song (my best friends girlfried) and I didn't even think about the solo. I'll admit I never thought of ripping solos when I thought of the cars, but that's all changed. I spent a few hours to get it down and got the basic rythm down...but couldn't get the solo. It's on the long term "to do" list.

And hes a good clapper..:headbange

DonRowe

The solo on "My best freinds girl"...It ain't if you can play it...It's if you would have thought of it during the writing/production that matters!! His compositions/solos are always interesting and musical ! I personaly rank him very high in the rock/pop guitar universe..I'm a sucker for great craftsmanship.. VanHalen did change things, but I think it was more about the attitude/swagger of his playing than just the tapping alone.

Gold Tone

I thought Eddie copped it off of Ace Frehley from KISS?

Just saw an early KISS concert clip (1974) with Ace tearing it up as usual. He was ABSOLUTELY tapping in the way we think of it today (thanks in most part to EVH).

LowE

"Tapping" is a technique that has been used for over 100 years in the classical realm. The works [of] Sor comes to mind.

Correct. Tapping was not invented by any rock guitarist at all.

John B.

Jimmie Webster, used to work for Gretsch guitars in the 40's(?), 50's, 60's...called it the "Touch Technique." even released an album using a stereo white falcon, 2 gretsch amps, & mostly tapped technique.

"In the 40's(?), 50's, 60's", as stated above by Bob Candle...

ES Blonde

EE says more in those few bars of Best freinds girlfriend than EVH says in any whole track. Gets in there, does the job (beautifully) and gets out. No rambling or scale exercises. Not to say the EVH isn't an influential player and master of a style, but the total musicianship of EE stands the test of time which is why so many are attesting to that here and now. The fact is also that EE can and did tap way back then only to use that as part of his arsonal of sonics, not most of it.

I think our taste in music colours our opinions about what is "best". I for my part never really 'got' tapping and use it seldom.

Now where did I put that flame suit?

phil47uk

Jimmie Webster, used to work for Gretsch guitars in the 40's(?), 50's, 60's...called it the "Touch Technique." even released an album using a stereo white falcon, 2 gretsch amps, & mostly tapped technique.

Bobcandle is correct. Jimmy Webster was doing Gretsch clinics involving tapping techniques decades before EVH was even a twinkle in his old mans pants. In fact probably before I was around and that's saying something.:laugh2:

BrickwallJackson

Comparing the two is idiotic. I wonder why some folks find it difficult to like one thing, without trashing another? Seems awfully sophomoric to me.

Personally, I like EVH and The Cars. . .each for their own merits. I don't care for Metallica but I'm not going to trash them or compare them to someone of a totally different genre to prove a stupid fucking point.

plaintop60

Cheers gents,

I'm thinking more along the popularity route here.....Really, who would get credited with introducing it as a popular "new" rock technique.

Everyone seems to see EVH as the man, but Van Halen (the album) was only released in '78; the same year I saw Easton was using it live......

Probably in fairness, Harvey Mandel. Mandel's tapping style is incredible. He was playing Oboe or English Horn sounds on guitar a good ten years before EVH. Frank Zappa did it before Eddy too. So did a plethora of others, but Van Halen is predominantly the one who popularized it.