• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

floor pedals for a Bassman.

phil47uk

Foxy Lady Here I Come!!great story Phil!I'm sorry to hear this Chaperon blew it up for you..looking forward to hear you're impression with the H2O keep me informed.:salude
Moshe.

All part of Rock N' Roll Moshe..Ya win some..Ya loose some...:laugh2:

Yeah, I'll certainly let you know what the H2o is like when it arrives.

Phil.

bluesjuke

Phil,
I find good results with the Xotic RC Booster, Ac Booster, or the Fulltone OCD with Bassmans.
They rev up the amp at lower volumes and leave it sounding like your amp.

Increase gain as desired at any volume. The Xotic pedals also have excellent EQ controls that add or take away lows & highs- a good option with also a flat detente in the center of each control.

phil47uk

Phil,
I find good results with the Xotic RC Booster, Ac Booster, or the Fulltone OCD with Bassmans.
They rev up the amp at lower volumes and leave it sounding like your amp.

Increase gain as desired at any volume. The Xotic pedals also have excellent EQ controls that add or take away lows & highs- a good option with also a flat detente in the center of each control.

Yeah bluesjuke , I find the Fulltone Fulldrive great with the Bassman !..

So what's the difference between my fulldrive2 and the Fulldrive Mosfet.. What the hell is a Mosfet??

Phil.

phil47uk

Hi Mike and Zensurfer.
I'm always dubious about gadgets with fancy sci-fi names.. Mosfet.??

You read up about these things and nothing ever tells you what the hell a Mosfet is, or what the letters stand for. Or for that matter, what it even does..:hmm

Sounds like the Kinks ???:wah Just as well I gave it a miss then....:rofl

It'a bit like the Boss GT6 I just sold.. COSM technology ??? :bigal
I never did figure out what the hell that was.. It didn't sound very impressive whatever it was.

Phil.

Tex Ecco

Now Phil you know very well that all these acronyms are for the "anoraks" who like to speak a different language to the rest of us, so they can feel superior.

They are of course all created by the marketing guru's who know that most of us simply can't admit to not knowing the terminology. So when an "anorak" starts talking about "Mosfets" and "Bifocated Phase Lockers" the rest of us simply nod and agree, not wishing to look stupid. Before you know it we all start using the same terms, assuming everyone else must know what they mean and thus we can painlessly join the anorak clan. Until of course some smart arse (no offence) comes along and askes.."what's a Mosfet?"

Now you know we haven't got a bloody clue but if Mike Fuller is fitting them they must be good...or expensive...or both.

So let's sit back and wait for the anoraks to appear and educate us about Mosfets...it should be fun. :rofl

What else would we do on these damp summer nights....

GuitarDean

The Mosfet Phil will give you a fuller, wider OD across the frequency spectrum. Here's how my mind looks at it...

Good Guitars & Amps alone = Great tones, clean and when driven to natural overdrive at high vol., hard to beat.

Same Guitars & Amps, at lower vol. with the FD2 (just the left side OD switch) Great sound, clear, articulate, and memorable OD's delivered at reasonable sonic levels.

Same set up, but now with the right side switch engaged. Bolder OD that can be rolled off for clarity and distinctive sounds, or rolled up for that bitchin' growl and bite (AND STILL AT REASONABLE SONIC LEVELS!!!) that NORMALLY only highly overdriven, high-end tube amps can deliver at very loud levels.

Same set up but with the Mosfet switch engaged = Dumble Amp. I had the pleasure of watching Frank Hannon of Tesla do two shows at Gibson last year through a Dumble amp and it is as near to spot on that tone as I have ever heard. It's a lame way of saying it but the OD was so much "wider" with it, especially with the toggle switch set to the compression cut. I was amazed at how open and wide the OD's were while still maintaining the natural characteristic's of the guitar and amp as the sound by themselves.

I heard Al Davis (Stumbler) play one in Greensboro on Friday night, it's the ONLY time that I have bought a OD after only hearing it once.

So what's your opinion and run of the FD2 pedal Phil?, hearing the same stuff I am?

and yes, if you come across the FD2 with the Mosfet BUY IT!

bluesjuke

The whole proper name for Mosfet Phil is Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor.
It's a certain type with desireable qualities in certain applications such as the FDII.

bluesjuke

Kinda...
you described it, I de-acronym'd it.
Yes ,that is a word.....I just made it up.

Will that stand for a legal copyright?

phil47uk

Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor ?

Holy shit! You guys were better off just leaving it as MOSFET, It's makes about just as much sense to me.:hmm
Sounds like something Robbie might have knocked up in the Forbidden Planet.:laugh2:
Mind you GuitarDean explained things nicely there. I'm still fiddling with the FD11. I have come to the conclusion that a Strat seems to sound better in the Comp cut / FM position, and a Les Paul in the vintage setting. Just as to why and how I have figured this out God only knows, but I'm gonna try them out at full whack at a gig tomorrow night, and as far as I am concerned, that's the only real way I'll get to find out.

Anyway ..
My Visual sound H2o chorus/delay pedal arrived today.
Very nice chorus and the delay aint bad for a pedal too.
I dialed everything virtualy all the way down and that was still plenty enough for what I'll ever use it for. Just a shimmer here and there on the odd song. I can't imagine who would use one of those things turned all the way up.. But I expect they are out there.. Nothing surprises me anymore these days.

Phil

Stumbler

... I have come to the conclusion that a Strat seems to sound better in the Comp cut / FM position, and a Les Paul in the vintage setting. ...l

That's exactly what I do. Strat on FM, and Gibsons on Vintage. The FM is not quite as fat, so it keeps the zing or thinner, raspy character of the Strat without overlaying too much.

When playing live with it you might have to boost the volume and "tone" (treble) some beyond the volume of the straight amp. Kicking in the FD2 live will add a tad of compression and this gives the impression its not as loud, or put another way, you might not be able to hear yourself as well, even though the sound is definitely there. Boosting the "tone" is like turning up the "presence" knob - more sparkle thus allowing you to hear it better in a band situation. It might seem too much on your own with no other instruments, but in the pudding you'll hear yourself.

And Phil .... have fun!

phil47uk

Thanks Stumbler and Excalibur.
Yeah I think the only way to really judge these things is to gig them, when they have to work to their optimum.

Same things with pickups. When I first got Humph I was a bit worried the BB's might sound harsh as a guy I know came round with his Historic loaded with Voodoos. In the front room, the Voodoos seemed warmer, but when I took Humph out on his first full blown blues gig, the BB's sprung into life, and I'm glad I didn't get any Voodoos as they would have been slightly too dark for me in a stage situation.

That's why I am always cynical about these laboratory/ front room tone reports you hear about gear. You can't really tell till you hit the throttle on the open road so to speak.
Ok.. Initially the guitar must have good acoustic attributes and you then have to match it up to an amp that will do it justice. But from them on, so many things can change and be tweaked, that one can be surprised just what sounds one can get from ones gear.
For instance, my old Boss GT6 sounded great straight into a desk and in my music room, but on stage… Yuk!. I used it twice and then from then on in left it at home.

phil.

Stumbler

Hey Phil. How is that H2O? Is the echo good? I use a Bos DD3 for just a tad of ambience, but the idea of having chorus in the same box is cool. Does it cut down on the signal. BTW I use DD3 after FD2 - those two only.

GuitarDean

boy, he nailed that with Strat & LP didn't he, Al. Thats exactly what you said tome in Greensboro. Phil, I'll asked earlier but I guess ya didn't see it:2cool , how do you like the FD2 so far?

Last edited:

Stumbler

boy, he nailed that with Strat & LP didn't he, Al. THats exactly what you said tome In Greensboro. Phil I'll ashled earlier but I guess ya didn't see it:2cool , how do you like the FD2 so far?

He's been doing the homework, and our Briton brother definitely did not just fall off the turnip truck.

I need to experiment some with that Comp Cut. I don't use that much at all. It's like a clean boost with a little bit of compression from what I hear.

phil47uk

Hey Phil. How is that H2O? Is the echo good? I use a Bos DD3 for just a tad of ambience, but the idea of having chorus in the same box is cool. Does it cut down on the signal. BTW I use DD3 after FD2 - those two only.

Yeah Stumbler the idea of both together appealed to me to, as I don't really want a mile of cables and loads of effects.
Well, so far it seems great although I have only tried it at home, as it ony arrived this afternoon. ( I'll gig it tomorrow and let you know )

I set the amp up, then hit the chorus to see if there was a drop in dry signal , but I couldn't notice any. Same with the delay..They seem to add to the dry tone rather than swamp it. In other words. The Bassman tone is still there, and no discernable drop when you by-pass either.
That's exactly what I want.... So far, so good. What it's like on a gig is a different matter. I'll let you know on Sunday.

Phil.