• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

floor pedals for a Bassman.

phil47uk

boy, he nailed that with Strat & LP didn't he, Al. Thats exactly what you said tome in Greensboro. Phil, I'll asked earlier but I guess ya didn't see it:2cool , how do you like the FD2 so far?

So far.. So good, but as I said to Stumbler in my previous post, I'm going to give it the full works tomorrow and will let you know 100% on Sunday.
I doing a gig with Mutter Slater from Stackridge tomorrow night.. And boy are they loud.
Old Mutter has one of the loudest voices I have ever heard.. You can hear him laughing above eveyone else in a crowded club. :laugh2:

What I like about the FD2 is that it compliments the tone I want from my amp and guitar without covering it like a blanket.

Phil.

GuitarDean

Phil, Perfect, same thing I found.

Al, yes, definitely experiment with the CompCut. I've found that it is a versatile lil weapon in brightening things up when the tone is a bit foggy or muddy from other effects, the guitar, or the amp itself. It made my Danelectro 12st pop like a Rickenbacher 12

phil47uk

Phil, Perfect, same thing I found.

Al, yes, definitely experiment with the CompCut. I've found that it is a versatile lil weapon in brightening things up when the tone is a bit foggy or muddy from other effects, the guitar, or the amp itself. It made my Danelectro 12st pop like a Rickenbacher 12

I have been fiddling about with it tonight GuitarDean..Till my daughter came in that was.. Then it was " Turn it down Dad, I could hear it while I was parking the car".:wah
Lucky I aint got no neighbours.:laugh2:

So far so good. Someone told me the other day that when you put batteries in these pedals, the battery has only got to get lower than about 80% and it affects the tone...
Is there any truth in that? If that's the case I'd better get some adapters as those 9 volt Duracells over here cost about $8 a piece.

Phil.

Stumbler

This just in ... scored a used for a month, basically new in the box H2O Chorus and Echo for $123 shipped on eBay.

GuitarDean

My battery didn't get a chance to burn down that far, Phil...by the adaptor and, as they say in New York "forgettaboutit"

phil47uk

This just in ... scored a used for a month, basically new in the box H2O Chorus and Echo for $123 shipped on eBay.

It'll be interesting to hear your views on it Stumbler... Damn you Yanks.. $123.That's only £61.:bug . I had to pay out £87 ( $173 US shipped ) for mine.. But then again I suppose it's relative, as over here they cost about $300 US new.

phil47uk

My battery didn't get a chance to burn down that far, Phil...by the adaptor and, as they say in New York "forgettaboutit"

Yes. I must get an adapter GuitarDean.

Hey! Just as a matter of interest, what order do you guys put your effects in line between your guitar and amp.?

Phil.

Last edited:

GuitarDean

Follow the green line from "Guitar". Yes, I know I use a lot, but I like to experiment and use lots of different sounds so I've got all of this to tinker with. Believe it or not, this signal chain is as quiet as a mouse, everything has a signal by-pass.
Pedal_Board_4_Labeled_Signal_Chain_Layout_Reduced.JPG

And what it looks like without the football diagram...
Pedal_Board_4_Front_View_Reduced.jpg

The whole thing sets up and breaks down in under two minutes, is on wheels and can even be carried by shoulder strap. I use the lid as a floor boost, otherwise it lays flat on the floor but raises up in the back

Desertdawg

I must be missing something....I just plug my Les Paul into my little Carr Rambler.

:band

phil47uk

Follow the green line from "Guitar". Yes, I know I use a lot, but I like to experiment and use lots of different sounds so I've got all of this to tinker with. Believe it or not, this signal chain is as quiet as a mouse, everything has a signal by-pass.
Pedal_Board_4_Labeled_Signal_Chain_Layout_Reduced.JPG

And what it looks like without the football diagram...
Pedal_Board_4_Front_View_Reduced.jpg

The whole thing sets up and breaks down in under two minutes, is on wheels and can even be carried by shoulder strap. I use the lid as a floor boost, otherwise it lays flat on the floor but raises up in the back

Jesus H Christ GuitarDean :bug You could send a man to the moon with that rig...I'd hate to see your electricity bill. You could run a small village over here with one of those things.:laugh2:

I was thinking on slightly more simple terms.. Like just a FD2 and a H2o chorus. I wouldn't know where to start with that lot, and probably end up spending more time fiddling with it than actually playing. How the hell did you work that lot out?:wah
I have a hard enough time getting to grips with these two pedals. I'm just going to set them to a sound I like and then forget about them till I hit the switch.
That little switch on the FD2 is positioned in a bit of a silly place though, as you can't change it unless you bend down and actually switch it with your fingers.

As old DesertDawg says. He just goes into his amp, and that's basically what I've been doing for the past 20 odd years. I thought I might get a little adventurous since getting the Bassman, with just a hint of effects on a few numbers. Don't forget, the Dawg and I are from the old farts era. :laugh2:

Phil.

GuitarDean

I KNEW I was gonna take some grief from you guys but.... from one "old fart" to another (I'm almost 48) it's a necessity for me. I play in a studio, alot, and have to be able to replicate all the different styles and sounds that someone might ask for. This isn't for basement or garage jamming, it's a tool and a darned good one. It's pretty fun for gigs too but not required. I use two modeling amps in tandem (a Johnson Stereo Millennium 150 and a Fender Cyber-Twin). Now, when I'm just sitting around and noodling, I play using just a guitar and a tiny Crate V.:2cool So hammer me if you must, but I freaking love that board and everything that it can do:dude:

phil47uk

I KNEW I was gonna take some grief from you guys but.... from one "old fart" to another (I'm almost 48) it's a necessity for me. I play in a studio, alot, and have to be able to replicate all the different styles and sounds that someone might ask for. This isn't for basement or garage jamming, it's a tool and a darned good one. It's pretty fun for gigs too but not required. I use two modeling amps in tandem (a Johnson Stereo Millennium 150 and a Fender Cyber-Twin). Now, when I'm just sitting around and noodling, I play using just a guitar and a tiny Crate V.:2cool So hammer me if you must, but I freaking love that board and everything that it can do:dude:

Hammering?? :laugh2: .. No I'm more in awe that you can actually put something like that together and get it to work GuitarDean. Old Dawg and I would probably blow ourselves up..

48 ??... Whoaa! You are still a spring chicken compared to us two old fogies.

Seriously though, I can see why you would need something like that in a studio situation. Especially if you trying to nail different styles.
I bought a Boss GT6 with the same idea, but it proved to be more of a toy than a serious tool. I was foolish enough to believe I could get 101 different styles out of one gadget with modern technology. But everytime I used it, it affected my raw tone, as you couldn't by-pass the bloody thing. So I gave up in the end. I sold it a week or so ago and bought the FD2 and H2o with the money.... Damn! I should have done that ages ago.
Oh well you live and learn.

Phil.

Rob Stobbs

I "think" that unless one is prepared to spend a pretty serious amount of money on something akin to a tc electronics G System or similar, then the current Multi FX Boards are of a similar ilk?

I know one Guy who has the G System and does amazing things with it, but his Band requires such things. I know that like you Phil, I ended up spending on individual Pedals and thus far haven't looked back.

That is a beautifully neat and tidy Pedal Board though!! Compared to how mine looked back when I used it....THAT is a serious piece of kit!

Old Farts Unite!!

Rob

phil47uk

Yeah I agree Rob. Those multi effects things like the Boss GT6 are either for metal freaks or bedroom guitarists.
A G system you say. Must say I haven't heard of that. I'll check that out.
You don't see serious effects all in one units here in the UK much.
You'd think with all the know how today someone would be able to come up with a multi effects unit with decent effects that dont swamp your tone at a fairly reasonable price and have true by-pass..

Phil.

P.S... Just checked out the TC Electronic G-SYSTEM... A £1,000 in the UK.. Approx $2,000 US..:wah

Desertdawg

Heh, heh....if I was doing studio stuff again, I'd probably have a "moon rig" too. In fact I just gave away an old Yamaha board with about 8 Yamaha pedals that I used in studios in Japan 25 years ago.

The guitar and amp straight thing works for me now which is probably why Phil thinks I should be playing in a Vegas lounge trio with just enough time to eye up the skirts that breeze in the door!

Mind you, my Rambler does have the two best effects known to man, trem and reverb, and, as Dean and Phil know, my Les Paul has the world's greatest tone enhancer.....a Bigsby, or "pasta maker" as Phil prefers to call it.

:hee

GuitarDean

Oh god Dawg, don't get Phil started on the Bigsby thing:hee . Todd and I have been bouncing that one around with Phil for quite some time. I just did a soundclip for WB Custom Pickups where I use my Bigsby and a slide together and their new Vintage Hot Tuned PAF's. I ended up with a very sick, low growl that was immediately remenisitant of early Joe Walsh, I just stopped and went "WOW!" I love those Bigsby's but man, you gotta be careful with 'em, it's too easy to over whammy.

"Hammering" was a poor turn of a phrase, sorry, I should have said "taking some fingers into my ribs". I'm presently recording three albums right now, one for me (everything from a few new age tunes to the some blues and everything in-between, :wah ), a rock-a-billy one for a local drummer who is jaw-droppingly good, and another for a guy that writes rather in the vein of the Jayhawks and the Beatles. So, as ya can see, I'm all over the freaking place:rofl . Thanks for the nice comments on the layout too btw.:salude

Todd Louis

OK OK .. I'm gone for one Day and look what happens here You's guy's:rofl

Desertdawg

Dean...you're right about the Bigsby. Since going with the Rambler all I hear from Phil is "Do you have to end every song with that ridiculous stretch, fat ass maj7 and that damned pasta maker!"

Oh well.........:f1:

phil47uk

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
Don't get me started on those..
Here's one that the old Dawg tried to sell me last year.. And look !..you even get a spare aged tuner key with it..

32949-1000-1-2ww-m.jpg

I do like the look of Bigsby's, but only on Gretsch 6120's and 335's which I have had in the past. I never ever used them mind you, but they did look good.
They tend to clutter a Les Paul for me. It's takes up too much space for what they do...
I tell a lie! .... I did use it with my old 57 6120 on the end of a rockabilly song once.. As I recall it was a rather snazzy run followed by a quick wobble on a 6/9th chord at the end of the tune.Whether anyone in the crowed noticed the authenticity of my endevour I'll never know.

Did a gig last night with the Bassman and new pedals, but couldn't really comment on any of them as the band was in the open and fucking loud wasn't the word. Another guitarist and me were mic'd up through the PA, but couldn't hear bugger all as the foldback didn't work our end.
I had the Bassman at 6, and it still sounded like a 5 watt amp.:laugh2:
I hit the boost on the FD2 and that improved things somewhat, but at the end of the day, it just wasn't the right gig to try stuff out. Next week perhaps. Seven people on stage including percussion and a Hammond, and Mutters voice..That's enough to drown out any amp.

Phil.