NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Thread: FM Danny Kirwan

FM Danny Kirwan

Hey gang-

Can I get some pictures of and/or stories about Danny Kirwan?

I did a search and read a lot of the threads, but most were pretty old and the pics were no longer there and the links didn't work.

any era is good for me - goldtop, burst, BB...

Thanks-

Re: FM Danny Kirwan

When in doubt, try Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Kirwan

I've already read most of the info to be found (including wikipedia)

... unknown player found by FM manager - shown to green - taken under his wing - good jams - weird guy - acid - booze - gentle soul - freaks out over tuning issue - bashes head into bathroom wall - smashed lp custom 3 pup bb - watches show from soundboard - gets fired by mick - makes some semi bad pop/country albums - boozes more- homeless - family helps (a little)...

I just need some action pics and/or personal stories-

wikipedia has 2 pics neither of which features a guitar! (thanks though)

Last edited by Yunpac; 05-11-07 at 10:53 PM. Reason: added an "a" in features

Here, I'll get everybody started on a kirwan pic posting frenzy w/ this hot pic:

ok - fire away!
    Last edited by Yunpac; 05-12-07 at 11:51 AM. Reason: adding a "n" to frezy

ok - for real now....

I've got several. Which do you already have?

Also, try to find a copy of the original Lp's, Blues Jam in Chicago Vol 1 and 2. The covers and inside have lots of great color pics. When I bought that record in 1969, I'd never heard of Peter Green and never really paid attention to who it was playing what. I wore those discs out but I was mainly looking at the photos of Danny Kirwan and his goldtop. That was how I discovered Les Paul's. At that time, they were rarely seen and it something new to me. I bought one a year later but even at the age of 15, I new it was a terrible guitar. I sold it after about two months and found a Firebird in a small town about 45 miles away. had also been looking at Clapton's guitar on Live Cream I. Oh yeah...., Danny Kirwan pics..... I'll get some up tonight.
    Last edited by j45; 05-11-07 at 08:07 PM.

sweet - thanks

I don't have too many so anything you can post would be great!

Anybody know the details of his 'burst?

I think that is PG's.

You don't get a good shot of PG's in the vid, but Im pretty sure they are each playing one here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HQ8AcEYTEFY

Kirwan breaks a string half way through the above vid. The reason Im pretty sure they each had one is that PG follows the above with "World Keep's Turning" on his 'burst while DK is allegedly restringing the guitar he played in the video above. The guitar DK was playing also still had the pickguard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivS5wjwGbn8

Quote Originally Posted by j45 View Post
    I think that is PG's.
    Wasn't PG's 'burst..... Danny used a 'burst in-between his, (circa)) '56 P-90 GT and the, (later) 3 pickup Custom, (that was used after PG had left and subsequently broken a year or so afterwards, in a tantrum)..... Danny's burst can be clearly seen on the 'Albatross' mime on the 'The Early Years' - Fleetwood Mac video/DVD. It was fairly strong color and not a lot of flame. Quite where it went, or what became of it, I do not know.

Cool I thought I read on here once that he had used Green's but now I know. Thanks.

You can play a Les Paul, but you can't play a Van Gogh!

Quote Originally Posted by j45 View Post
    Cool I thought I read on here once that he had used Green's but now I know. Thanks.
    Thanks also.... Here is the 'Albatross' version showing the 'burst mentioned.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSZHT2XvoLM

Danny's guitars were in this order:

Watkins Rapier
    '56 Les Paul Goldtop with P90s
    Burst(ive read it was a '59 like Peters)
    3-Pickup Les Paul Black Beauty Custom(year unknown)

I also read he occasionally used Jeremy Spencer's 50's Strat in the studio. Probably on the albums after Peter left because some of the guitar work on Kiln House sounds more like a strat than a Lester, and its definately Danny playing the parts, not Jeremy.

Amps were:
    100 Watt Marshal Super Lead(Early days with Mac)
    Matamp/Orange GT120 Head and 2 2x12 cabs
    '68 Silverface Fender Super Reverb(studio)
    '68 Silverface Dual Showman Reverb(live) with 2 Fender 2x12 cabs

After Peter left he was also seen with Hiwatts and a WEM 150 Watt Transistor head through two Orange 4x12s with a Matamp/Orange Reverb Unit on top of the head

Danny Kirwan also played a pale color maple necked telecaster.... It can be seen on the 'live' FM video footage of 'Woman's Got The Blues'.... The 'influence' was Janis Joplin, (apparently) and with whom DK is said to have had what you might call a 'brief encounter'....

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JRW8214@AOL.COM View Post
    I also read he occasionally used Jeremy Spencer's 50's Strat in the studio. Probably on the albums after Peter left because some of the guitar work on Kiln House sounds more like a strat than a Lester, and its definately Danny playing the parts, not Jeremy.
    Is that the Strat with the bizarre switch placement?
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

Les Paul Forum Member Biggles58's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TW59 View Post
    And is it he one Peter uses on the "Need Your Love So Bad Video"?

Quote Originally Posted by sidekick View Post
    The 'influence' was Janis Joplin, (apparently) and with whom DK is said to have had what you might call a 'brief encounter'....
    Never heard that one before.
    Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by TW59 View Post
    Yea

Quote Originally Posted by 60pinstripe View Post
    Interesting.
    Niether have I

Danny Kirwan also played a pale color maple necked telecaster.... It can be seen on the 'live' FM video footage of 'Woman's Got The Blues'.... The 'influence' was Janis Joplin, (apparently) and with whom DK is said to have had what you might call a 'brief encounter'....
    I forgot about that tele. I thought that was so cool seeing him play that.

Quote Originally Posted by 60pinstripe View Post
    Interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRL821@AOL.COM
    Neither have I
    The story goes back to 1969.... In '97 Peter Green's Biographer, (Martin Celmins) mentioned of an occasion where Janis shared the same bill as FM. After one gig, Janis strutted into the hotel bar where the Mac lads were enjoying a drink.... Bold and brazen as ever, she announced "Tonight, I'm gonna have one of guys up in my room.... now come on, which one of you is it gonna be?".... Peter Green apparently told her: "Well, you're not having me.... have him!" (pointing to Danny)..... and, after some some encouragement Mac's youngest guitarist, (shall we say) rose to the challenge....

The article concluded, that, the following day - Miss Joplin's renowned physicality had apparently left his back in ribbons.... If we assume such to be so, 'Blues with a feeling', to be sure....

The story goes back to 1969.... In '97 Peter Green's Biographer, (Martin Celmins) mentioned of an occasion where Janis shared the same bill as FM. After one gig, Janis strutted into the hotel bar where the Mac lads were enjoying a drink.... Bold and brazen as ever, she announced "Tonight, I'm gonna have one of guys up in my room.... now come on, which one of you is it gonna be?".... Peter Green apparently told her: "Well, you're not having me.... have him!" (pointing to Danny)..... and, after some some encouragement Mac's youngest guitarist, (shall we say) rose to the challenge....

The article concluded, that, the following day - Miss Joplin's renowned physicality had apparently left his back in ribbons.... If we assume such to be so, 'Blues with a feeling', to be sure....

Thats a funny story. I read Peter's bio by Martin Celmins. But i dont remember reading that part.

Poor Danny. I love Janis and her music, but i sure wouldnt wanna fuck her. Imagine if thats where Danny's alcoholism started from...LOL. Oh im sorry i shouldnt have made that joke.

Quote Originally Posted by JRW8214@AOL.COM View Post
    Thats a funny story. I read Peter's bio by Martin Celmins. But i dont remember reading that part.....
    It wasn't in the book.... A magazine article.

Personally, regarding Janis..... Her voice and 'feel' at the Woodstock performance recording, has always left me somewhat in awe.

Personally, regarding Janis..... Her voice and 'feel' at the Woodstock performance recording, has always left me somewhat in awe.
    I havent heard her performance at Woodstock. The Monterey performance of Ball & Chain however is outstanding. I love how they show Mama Cass' face going "Wow" while she watches Janis. She knew who the REAL talent was!! I think thats the highlight of the dvd set for me. Even over Hendrix and Canned Heat.

I have a clear (kinda) memory of an odd photo I saw in the early 70's. I've either warped the scene in my mind or this guitar photo really exists. I've had several PG junkies tell me that there is no way this could be... Anyway, in this black and white photo, Peter Green is playing a white SG Special. The setting was outdoors and seems there were trees overhead in the background as if theye were playing in a park or on a college campus. Anyone ever heard of this?

The 'influence' was Janis Joplin, (apparently) and with whom DK is said to have had what you might call a 'brief encounter'....

uh, yikes !!! she is one creepy looking dude!

decent voice though, and a hell of a good cook!

As I like to relate ... I was there and although I had been into Janis records for a couple of years before, it was the first time I had seen her live, as was the case with so many bands at Woodstock for me. It seemed to me the band started up and she FLEW on stage from the wings. She was incredible. Such energy and connection with us. I remember her telling us "Don't let anybody ever give you any shit. You're Beautiful!!!" Her voice was something else, I'll tell ya ...

For the technical types .. her guitar player played a 335. The first Big Brother band ... Peter Albin et al was long gone by Woodstock.
    "... just a regular sunburst Les Paul that I bought in one of the shops in London ... " - EC

Here is a pic from a CD sleeve that shows Danny Kirwan and Peter Green with their guitars. Danny's,(circa) '56 Goldtop has the switch tip missing and is top-wrapped. Looks like strap locks weren't in vogue with him either.... No doubt the original pic has caught some of the patina/wear to the top/sides also.

I have a B & W pic of Danny doing a sound check at the Royal Albert Hall in London. But it is quite 'grainy'... Do you guys want it posted?

thanks great pic -

and yes - post away! can't hurt

Quote Originally Posted by Yunpac View Post
    thanks great pic -
    and yes - post away! can't hurt
    Here is the B&W RAH 'sound check' shot - As previously mentioned, it is none too clear.... :-( If nothing else though, it does give a good idea of the power/size of the (mainly) Orange gear FM were using at that time and shows DK in his typical 'intense' mode....

TW59.... I'll delete the pic if you feel it is not clear enough.

I just saw a FM CD with a picture of Danny playing a St´rat that had the normal switch location.
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

Les Paul Forum Member MapleFlame's Avatar

Here is the B&W RAH 'sound check' shot - As previously mentioned, it is none too clear.... :-( If nothing else though, it does give a good idea of the power/size of the (mainly) Orange gear FM were using at that time and shows DK in his typical 'intense' mode....

TW59.... I'll delete the pic if you feel it is not clear enough.

I bet that rig was fun to play through. Wish it were me.
    Top carves are sexy

me too

Les Paul Forum Member pilotlight's Avatar

Here is a pic from a CD sleeve that shows Danny Kirwan and Peter Green with their guitars. Danny's,(circa) '56 Goldtop has the switch tip missing and is top-wrapped. Looks like strap locks weren't in vogue with him either.... No doubt the original pic has caught some of the patina/wear to the top/sides also.

I have a B & W pic of Danny doing a sound check at the Royal Albert Hall in London. But it is quite 'grainy'... Do you guys want it posted?

Hate to divert the thread momentarily,,, but check out PG's pre-faded burst.... Sooooo cool to see the evolution of that axe.
    "If you're gonna shoot, shoot! Don't talk" Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by pilotlight View Post
    Hate to divert the thread momentarily,,, but check out PG's pre-faded burst.... Sooooo cool to see the evolution of that axe.
    I bought a CD today that shows the Burst with little fade and real clean. I'm not too optimistic about the contents ["All songs played by Peter Green and Mick Green"... ] but the picture was worth it!

Now, if I can find a scanner.
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!