• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Physics of the Stradivarius......

58 Korina V

Hey Gang , I thought y'all would get a kick out of this paper on the physics of the Legendary Violin maker . If you think we get kind of deep her talking about that sweet Les Paul tone .. Check this out ...

physicsweb.org/article/world/13/4/8

There is also talk of potassium silicate and calcium being use to soak the wood prior to curing .

Overall my point is that the technology is here and now to duplicate the tone of the old les pauls but it seems to be
that we need to dial in that combination .

Hope you enjoy...david_scott

Last edited:

Ed Rafalko

Les Paul Forum Member
There's a guy down at Texas A+M who makes violins that sound fantastic. His research is very similar to the article you're presenting here.

LHakim

I don't know if its that article or if its the Texas Prof who did research, but I've read that Stradavarius would visit the local alchemist for the chemicals that would go into the finish of the violin, and that he would mix/select what he wanted to use. That exact compound is lost to antiquity. Didn't most of those violins get refinished and/or modded w/ new bridges in the 18th or 19th centuries to reflect changing tastes in classical music at the time?

Ed Rafalko

Les Paul Forum Member
I'm not entirely familiar with the particulars. I susp;ect, though, that Stradivari used the conventional methods for finishing of the period, and no alchemy was involved.;)