• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

how how can i fix fret buzzing at higher frets when bending??

Black58

Friday after work I wanted to add bit of relief to my Les Paul Custom and I used the truss rod adjustment tool and the Allen screw came off the truss rod and the truss rod did not adjust/move . So I noticed what looked like Allen adjustment on the bare truss rod .Please advise on how I should go about adding a little bit of relief ? Renderit , you were correct that the action really did not raise on my R8 which I adjusted the truss rod on .Also on my R8 the nut on top of the truss rod was a black color like it was painted where the truss rod nut on my Les Paul Custom is brass .So this confused me on Friday because it was such an easy adjustment on the R8 versus the Les Paul Custom which the darn nut came off and thusly I was not able to adjust the truss rod . Please help ?

:hmm Got a pic?

renderit

Put the nut back on. Tighten until you feel resistance. Tighten 1/4 turn more to start some load on the truss rod. Wait a few days to be sure it does not need more tightening. Is the fingerboard straight? Or can you 1) preferably measure or 2) sight from the nut to see relief. Until you get it close to straight I would keep going a bit at a time. They can be quite sticky.

I BELIEVE they are plekked with no relief at the factory. I could be wrong, but all of mine can go perfectly straight and not buzz at all. And I gots a bunch of them!

There is no Allen screw there I am aware of on an LP.

El Gringo

Put the nut back on. Tighten until you feel resistance. Tighten 1/4 turn more to start some load on the truss rod. Wait a few days to be sure it does not need more tightening. Is the fingerboard straight? Or can you 1) preferably measure or 2) sight from the nut to see relief. Until you get it close to straight I would keep going a bit at a time. They can be quite sticky.

I BELIEVE they are plekked with no relief at the factory. I could be wrong, but all of mine can go perfectly straight and not buzz at all. And I gots a bunch of them!

There is no Allen screw there I am aware of on an LP.

Renderit , I believe there is no relief and I think it is pretty much a straight neck and on the LPC it has the lowest action of all of the guitars in the herd . Once again just like my R8 it is on the bass strings ( E, A ) where there is buzz closest to the nut end of the neck ,not as bad as that B note on the A string on the R8 .When I looked at this last Friday night and attempted to adjust the truss rod the acorn (for lack of the correct term) came off the truss rod as I turned it counter clockwise to add a touch of relief to get rid of the buzz and it turned really easy and I then seen that it was coming off the threads of the truss rod . I got this guitar set up last fall and it played perfect until late spring early summer of this year . Then all of my attention focused on the R8 and those squealing Burstbucker pickups .Enter the ThroBak pickups and the challenge was to make that guitar sing beautiful and with your wonderful help that R8 plays and sounds wonderful which I am very grateful for . The LPC always had a notorious soft neck if I can say that because it was always the first to go out of wack or alignment ,probably because it had the lowest action which is nice but maybe not realistic because of all the issues . I will follow your advice and tighten the nut until I feel resistance and will wait a few days to be sure I do not need to tighten it anymore and I will report back . Thank You Kindly for your Help .

renderit

Renderit , I believe there is no relief and I think it is pretty much a straight neck and on the LPC it has the lowest action of all of the guitars in the herd . Once again just like my R8 it is on the bass strings ( E, A ) where there is buzz closest to the nut end of the neck ,not as bad as that B note on the A string on the R8 .When I looked at this last Friday night and attempted to adjust the truss rod the acorn (for lack of the correct term) came off the truss rod as I turned it counter clockwise to add a touch of relief to get rid of the buzz and it turned really easy and I then seen that it was coming off the threads of the truss rod . I got this guitar set up last fall and it played perfect until late spring early summer of this year . Then all of my attention focused on the R8 and those squealing Burstbucker pickups .Enter the ThroBak pickups and the challenge was to make that guitar sing beautiful and with your wonderful help that R8 plays and sounds wonderful which I am very grateful for . The LPC always had a notorious soft neck if I can say that because it was always the first to go out of wack or alignment ,probably because it had the lowest action which is nice but maybe not realistic because of all the issues . I will follow your advice and tighten the nut until I feel resistance and will wait a few days to be sure I do not need to tighten it anymore and I will report back . Thank You Kindly for your Help .

If you still are getting buzz and it will not allow for any relaxing without the nut falling off I might recommend going up a string size. At least for a while. It might be enough to correct the problem, but also could bring the neck back into a more usable shape.

El Gringo

If you still are getting buzz and it will not allow for any relaxing without the nut falling off I might recommend going up a string size. At least for a while. It might be enough to correct the problem, but also could bring the neck back into a more usable shape.
Update time , Friday night I adjusted the truss rod and was able to get the neck pretty straight .I let the guitar sit over night .Saturday I started to add some relief to the neck which I was quite happy about and then let it sit over night . Sunday after loosening the strings I adjusted the thumbwheels up a bit and played around with the pickup height and I was back in business .Now the Les Paul Custom plays ,it still has some fret rattles which can barely be heard when I play clean , and not heard when I am using the amps Master channel and high gain, up and down the fretboard there are no buzzes or fret outs . Renderit your advice was so good and valuable as I had never messed around with Truss rod adjustments and it makes me remember Big Al saying that we should all be able to make basic adjustments and basic setups on our beloved Les Paul's .
Comparing apples to oranges going from the truss rod adjustment of the R8 which seemed to have more play in the neck to the older Les Paul Custom truss rod I had this pre conceived notion that the older guitar's truss rod would be harder to adjust than the newer R8 and that was not the case .Yesterday afternoon I finally noticed the relief and the action raising up a hair on the Les Paul Custom .All in all the Les Paul Custom now works and now I want new Pickups as I have been spoiled by the ThroBak SLE -101 Plus on the R8 because the Gibson 57 Classics are very plain and vanilla and just to clean compared to the ThroBak . I probably will adjust the pickup height some more but probably not next weekend as I will get back to playing my R8 which is so much fun . Renderit I owe you big time for your most valuable assistance , guidance, and encouragement . Thank You so much !!!!!!!!!!!