• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Joe Perry's fuzz on Sweet Emotions

denwing

Any idea what amp was used on Walk This Way? It doesnt sound like a marshall to me.. Would it have been a Fender?

ampdan

See my previous post...those amps have been used on more classic recordings than you would believe, and players and engineers "who know" still use them.:hmm

bjm007

From everything I have ever read, they have always used small tube amps. Cranked Champs,(tweed and blackface) Princetons, Deluxes etc.

More often than not, the smaller blackface amps were used in the studio during that time frame. They sound much "bigger" when run through an 1176 and are double (or triple) tracked. Marshalls are often harder to record and the speaker variable is also a big part of a recorded Marshall sound.

My vote is for a Blackface Deluxe or something close to that all over that record...

Aerosmith had the session guys in there on GYW because Ezrin thought that Joe and Brad weren't up to the task. Billy L. knows exactly what they used on that record, but I think it was mostly Fender as far as amps......

WytLytnyn

I have a buddy who is really in the Aerosmith and loves to come my place to play my early silverface Deluxe Reverb. By running very light compression in front of a Mesa V-Twin preamp pedal (green channel: minimal gain, max vol, bass: 35%, mid: 75%, treble: 60%) into the DR (most settings on 6) he gets awfully close. He really knows the song well and likes to use my Les Paul special which I have replaced all the electronics with a set of Lindy Fralin unpotted P90s, JEL 525k pots and Vitamin Q's.

I always guessed that Joe and Brad were using low-wattage Marshalls or Hiwatts from their sound on Sweet Emotion. I don't really know the background on the band the way many of you do here. I have to say though oh, it's one of the best sounds I've ever heard in Rock.

maplebaby

not sure about the amp but i can guarantee you this is the talk box:)

vLa47S8l.jpg

janalex

Search youtube for Warren Huart interviewing Jack Douglas the producer. Left channel Perry right channel Whitford playing simultaneously, going to a Pyle stereo compressor, Pultec EQs, and to tape. Three mics were placed on a Tweed Twin (Perry) and mixed to taste to a single channel which was then compressed and EQed. After a distorted amp is miced, compressed, EQed often its signature is lost and it's impossible to say for certain what you're hearing

TM1

My friend, the late Doug Fieger, told me that when his band “The Knack” was doing a record that Jack produced, he followed Jack to the Men’s toilet cause he wanted to know what Jack was doing that made him so damn happy... well... it was Heroin.. and Doug got into it for a while... I wish it had let him live longer, but Dougie had 22 brain tumours. He fought it for 3 1/2 years before he passed.. I miss my friend!

IMMUSICRULZ

My friend, the late Doug Fieger, told me that when his band “The Knack” was doing a record that Jack produced, he followed Jack to the Men’s toilet cause he wanted to know what Jack was doing that made him so damn happy... well... it was Heroin.. and Doug got into it for a while... I wish it had let him live longer, but Dougie had 22 brain tumours. He fought it for 3 1/2 years before he passed.. I miss my friend!
It is sad that Doug Fieger is dead. The Knack were a great bad, despite their sexist songs.

As for Joe Perry of Aerosmith, he also played a Fender Bass VI. Used on Back In The Saddle, and I'm pretty sure one of the lead riffs on Draw The Line was a Fender Bass VI.

El Gringo

not sure about the amp but i can guarantee you this is the talk box:)

vLa47S8l.jpg
Joe did and does favor the Talk box for sure as I have seen him use it so many times live . Darn , this makes me miss seeing them live ! Maybe someday I have to get to one of them residency shows in Vegas , which would be a fine ole good time all around !

IMMUSICRULZ

Also Joe Perry played a Telecaster on Kings and Queens (for the slide solo.)

Whitford also played a Strat, and I know that Back In The Saddle was a Strat.

And Joe Perry and Brad Whitford were both using Fender and Marshall amps by the time Rocks and Toys In The Attic came out.

Sol

Ive read that amongst other amps, the band were also using MusicMan during this period. They were very popular at that time and I seem to remember Clapton was one of those using them.

Ive used them as rentals at blues festivals, and if Aerosmith did use them I can understand why.

IMMUSICRULZ

Ive read that amongst other amps, the band were also using MusicMan during this period. They were very popular at that time and I seem to remember Clapton was one of those using them.

Ive used them as rentals at blues festivals, and if Aerosmith did use them I can understand why.
Tom Hamilton played a Stingray Bass on Draw The Line and Night In The Ruts. So I can understand why they would use Music Man equipment.

Mattyboy75

100-watt Marshall with 6550 power tubes. Guitar was a Les Paul Jr.

Edited to add that the above was for the rythm track. The solo near the end of the tune was a Strat.
I read that as well but for Walk this Way. OP asked about sweet emotion. That I can’t help with!