• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

STRINGS HITTING BACK OF BRIDGE

G

guitarzan

Is it normal for the strings to touch on the back of the bridge? If I raise the stop bar up to keep them from touching it is extremely high. Is that normal as well?

By the way, my action is about 1/16 inch (so it's not very high). I don't understand why I have to raise it so high to keep them from touching. Is that normal?

Also, I just switched to a stop bar from a TP-6 , if that makes a difference.

MikeSlub

Administrator
It's OK to raise the stop bar quite a bit; however, many players don't like it real high because of lack of string tension. If you have to raise it too high for your taste, try reversing the bridge saddles. That might allow you to crank down the stop bar and yet have the strings clear the back of the bridge.

sparkletop

Having bridge saddles that have been filed down too many times through the years can create this problem. New saddles usually help. The taller the saddle, the lower the bridge body can go. I f your saddles are fine it will have to be done by raising the bar.

G

guitarzan

saddles are brand new!

My saddles are new, I replaced the bridge and tp-6 (w/fine tuners) with an EXACT same bridge and a stop bar.

I just need to know (or I'll go crazy) if it is "ok" or "normal" to have the strings hitting the back of the bridge. Is it bad that it does this?

I may just do the wrap over.... that should fix it!

Spose

Les Paul Forum Member
I was going to suggest the wrapover, I like the break angle better with the wrapover.

MikeSlub

Administrator
It isn't necessarily "bad" to have the strings touch the back of the bridge, but most people do feel that it does adversely affect tone.