The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Les Paul Forum Member

Re: My list of known original '58 through '63 korina Explorer serial numbers

Okay, thanks. My bad.

Les Paul Forum Member latestarter's Avatar

Bump to remind us all about this history....great info from many in this whole thread. Has Mike Bowen been around recently?
    Otherwise known as Grant.

Yes agreed - best info about this on the web.
    Have there been any recent additions?

Les Paul Forum Member

Guys lets revive this thread. One question : Wonder who owns the Derringer Split peg Explorer now that Mr. Chinnery passed a few yrs ago ? I know it was in his collection a few yrs ago. And is there anyone on here that has seen or held the late Allen Collins Explorer ? I would love to see it in person. Korina Explorers are so rare to begin with but his was one of only a handful that had the little round toggle plate on the back of the front horn to access the toggle switch without taking off the pickguard. I'm assuming the reason Gibson may have done this is because Gibson used 2 little blocks of wood to hold the wires in on the bottom route channel to the pickups. If a person were to take the pickguard off it was hard to keep the little wood blocks in place and screw the pickguard back down.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMiniMite View Post
    So, we now have 35 serial numbers. Maybe. No matter what I still think this is a great effort by everyone:

8-1008
    8-1431
    8-2118
    8-2142
    8-2153
    8-3549
    8-3848
    8-3849
    8-3850
    8-3868
    8-3872
    8-3873
    8-3876
    8-3882
    8-4096
    8-4451
    8-4536
    8-4539
    8-4541
    8-4542
    8-4543
    8-4544
    8-4545
    8-4548
    8-4549
    8-4550
    8-4551
    8-4552
    8-4559
    8-4561
    8-4567
    8-4592
    9-1715
    27121 (pressed-in)
    28012 (pressed-in)
    Any updates on this list?
    "Nice case" ~ Joe Bonamassa

Les Paul Forum Member

Anyone know more about the history of 4545? If it was used professionally or recorded etc?

Les Paul Forum Member Fried okra's Avatar

Killer list
    Last edited by Fried okra; Today at 00:00. Reason: No reason, just felt like making it look like I edited it.

"I just try to keep my fingers between the binding". Tom Wittrock

Iím fond of well loved guitars, you know, well played. You can keep all the mint ones, give me one that has bled for its master." - Fried Okra

Les Paul Forum Member gooner-cjp's Avatar

Explorer Re: My list of known original '58 through '63 korina Explorer serial numbers

'58 Explorer for sale at Denmark St. Guitars London - usual caveats apply!

Wonder where this one came from? - no serial number.

http://thumbsnap.com/f/tWIZJAhT

Quote Originally Posted by gooner-cjp View Post
    '58 Explorer.......Denmark St. Guitars London
    Last edited by Fried okra; Today at 00:00. Reason: No reason, just felt like making it look like I edited it.

Iím fond of well loved guitars, you know, well played. You can keep all the mint ones, give me one that has bled for its master." - Fried Okra

Les Paul Forum Member gooner-cjp's Avatar

Talked to Dave Rodgers today, he still has the 58 Explorer he bought back in the 80s, hanging alongside the 58 V... If you ever want to see one in person.

Quote Originally Posted by richard henry View Post
    Any updates on this list?
    No serial numbers from 1960 then?

Les Paul Forum Member Luke Gibson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrRobert View Post
    Talked to Dave Rodgers today, he still has the 58 Explorer he bought back in the 80s, hanging alongside the 58 V... If you ever want to see one in person.
    I believe that's the one that had the neck broken in a car wreck and had the neck replaced by Michael Stevens. I've seen a few pics of Michael holding an Explorer without a neck..... I could be wrong but I believe that's it.
    Lost in the middle of a Brazillian rosewood
    fingerboard......

http://s97.photobucket.com/home/LukeGibson69

I was looking at some old emails recently and found one from September of 2006 relating to a Max Explorer. The email was from an ebay seller that had listed his Max. He had sent me some pics of his guitar and a pic of a letter from Max that stated:

"This is an exact replica of a 1958 Gibson Explorer. The specs for this guitar were taken from the following original 1958 Explorers: 8-3873, 8-4460, 8-4544 and 8-4554. This guitar was built by me in 1996."

Both 8-3873 and 8-4544 are already included in this thread's list of serial numbers, however, neither 8-4460 nor 8-4554 have been mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Recluse View Post
    Wow!!! Thanks for posting!
    fingerboard......

Hmmmmmm...

neither 8-4460 nor 8-4554 have been mentioned
    So - good ol' Max says he's seen these originals.. ya think that is good enough to include those on 'the' list....?

Hmmm. I'm not a korina expert, but the evidence presented in the video does not give me any confidence in that particular guitar. YMMV

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us."

- Bill Watterson, creator of the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes".

Quote Originally Posted by Arch D. Bunker View Post
    Hmmmmmm...

So - good ol' Max says he's seen these originals.. ya think that is good enough to include those on 'the' list....?
    8 3873 and 8 4544 are also mentioned in the letter from good ol' Max and they are on the list. I didn't put them there, but they are still on there. Neither did I suggest that 8 4460 and 8 4554 should be on the list. I only stated that Max had also referenced them as being real. Everyone can consider the sources of the information in this thread and come to their own conclusion. Clearly, you have. The same reasoning is why I posted a link in this thread to the 3 pickup Explorer in the Elderly Appraisal video. That owner believes his guitar is real, and it appears he will have an appraisal from Elderly supporting that belief. I'm not suggesting that instrument should be added to the list of real Explorers either, however, reference to it too can now be found in this one thread. An internet search of any of the mentioned serial numbers may now bring a person here. A comparison can then be made between all of the guitars, along with any comments about them, including yours.

This thread is a great source of information on which instruments should be on the list. I also think it can be an equally great source of information on which specific instruments shouldn't be on the list, along with the reasons for their exclusion.

8 3873 and 8 4544 are also mentioned in the letter from good ol' Max and they are on the list. I didn't put them there, but they are still on there. Neither did I suggest that 8 4460 and 8 4554 should be on the list. I only stated that Max had also referenced them as being real. Everyone can consider the sources of the information in this thread and come to their own conclusion. Clearly, you have.
    No, I haven't. Did not say that either.

Those guitars may be 100% poifect and legit. Mr B. knows more about these than you and I ever will - but for my 0.02c he has compromised his credibility due to certain actions. So his word alone is not good enough for me. Let's see some more evidence before adding guitars to that list.

As to Elderly: they have misidentified vintage stuff on a number of occasions, including an alleged Gibson korina guitar (in good faith though I would assume).

The knowledge of most vintage dealers is no longer a match for the joined forces of anally obsessed guitar geeks worldwide, as evidenced on many occasions on forums like the LPF.

It appears that Allen Collinsí Explorer has had an extensive refin done at NTL Guitar. Thereís no text explaining what the purpose is, or why this has happened...

http://www.ntlguitar.com/skynyrd-guitars.html

Quote Originally Posted by Docsieb View Post
    It appears that Allen Collinsí Explorer has had an extensive refin done at NTL Guitar. Thereís no text explaining what the purpose is, or why this has happened...

http://www.ntlguitar.com/skynyrd-guitars.html

Why???

Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar

A real bad decision !
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars !

He thinks the mirror is a photo of a clown ?

The Myth: Neat wiring layouts always equate to great-sounding amps.

The Myth: If I would have lived with MOM & mooched till I was 48 I would play like Clapton !
    Think about it
    won't you ...... Please !

Quote Originally Posted by Fried okra View Post
    Why???
    Its baffling! Is anyone familiar with this NTL company?

Les Paul Forum Member GuitarMikey's Avatar

From the photos on the NTL link above, it almost looks like the Explorer, Firebird and LP had some water damage?? Especially the LP.
    GuitarMikey

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarMikey View Post
    From the photos on the NTL link above, it almost looks like the Explorer, Firebird and LP had some water damage?? Especially the LP.
    That LP looked awful. Sad to see that happen to historic instruments like these... with regard to the Explorer, the pics make it look like it might have been renecked. Some text and explanation on the website would have been helpful.

Judging from the "before" photos and the level of rust on the pickups I have to assume the flood damaged the guitar significantly, the finish looks like it's coming off in places..

If so, it makes sense I guess, otherwise, what a shame!
    - 2006 Les Paul Historic R4 Oxblood
    - 2012 ES-330TDVB
    - 1995 Les Paul Studio Ebony with B7 Bigsby

There is NO substitute for Loudness.

Thereís a lot about this guitar that feels very off... especially the price. $218k? That would be incredibly low, if this is legit.

https://www.elderly.com/gibson-explorer-1963.htm

Quote Originally Posted by StSpider View Post
    Judging from the "before" photos and the level of rust on the pickups I have to assume the flood damaged the guitar significantly, the finish looks like it's coming off in places..

If so, it makes sense I guess, otherwise, what a shame!
    The A.C. Explorer has the round plate behind the toggle switch, this guitar does not.
    fingerboard......

I'm pretty sure these are Rickey Medlocke's guitars. Mentioned here.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNKWiIJbK6Y

Quote Originally Posted by Docsieb View Post
    Thereís a lot about this guitar that feels very off... especially the price. $218k? That would be incredibly low, if this is legit.

https://www.elderly.com/gibson-explorer-1963.htm
    Besides the price and the length of the "story", what else seems off?

Quote Originally Posted by DrRobert View Post
    Besides the price and the length of the "story", what else seems off?
    Ever seen a Gibson finish crack like that? Interesting serial as well.

Guitar builder here. Long - time lurker. Love the site as a fellow gearhead with a obsessive penchant for nailing all the little details. Currently embarking on a 58 Explorer build. Just two things that I wanted to put it out there for a little bit of clarification. A poster on here claimed that he had only seen 3 ply black jack plates on the original explorers. I came across a bunch of pictures online and in my archive of supposed original 58s with 3-ply white jack plates. Does this mean that these had been replaced to match the pickguards at one point? Does anybody know of a legitimate 58 Explorer with a 3-ply white Jack Plate? I also believe the same poster stated he'd only seen original explorers that were one piece bodies. After studying a bunch of pictures I've seen that there are quite a bodies purported to be originals which appear to be two piece bodies with the seam running on the bass side right above the pickups. Can somebody clarify these two points for me? Thank you all.