The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: My list of known original '58 through '63 korina Explorer serial numbers

Hi everybody. I have just come across an early 60s Explorer purchases from Gruhn many years ago, with nickel hardware, oval-button tuners, metal-cap knobs, Pat #s and ABR-1 with retaining-wire (but metal saddles, not plastic). It has NO serial number on the back of its headstock. Does it mean its neck has been refinished?... finish looks really old and original on both sides of the guitar.... Thanks for your help!

?

... she was mumblin' to some howlin' wolf about some voodoo healin'

Quote Originally Posted by Phil 52 View Post
    ?

Delete this question if it's already included, but did you guys get the serial of Rick Vito's example? I just read that article again in VG about him finding the Explorer & V that was just too awesome!

Es5bug, thanks a bunch for the pics - cool as hell!

I DO hope that it's real, but can't answer your question. Those saddles look like plastic in the pic BTW..

Les Paul Forum Member andreja marovic's Avatar
    Everybody knows this is nowhere....in the good old Serbia

Look like early 60's...
    anyway killer vibe.Love those Modern guitars...
    Still looking for my Explorer.
    Turn it louder please...
    Hendrix is God on guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by swankmotee View Post
    Delete this question if it's already included, but did you guys get the serial of Rick Vito's example? I just read that article again in VG about him finding the Explorer & V that was just too awesome!

How did it happen?

Quote Originally Posted by es5bug View Post

es5bug,

First off, very cool guitar and pics As others have said, it appears to be a early 60s Explorer
    judging by nickle parts, strip tunners, bridge with retaining wire.

Hate to make call without guitar in my hands, but from photo the finish does
    not look right With serial # missing and what I see in photo, I would say it's a refin. Still, very cool guitar.
    BTW, does it have a original case?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Jones View Post
    How did it happen?
    I can't remember the exact story in Vintage Guitar, but Rick Vito was approached by, or found out about an older local black player who played an original Explorer for many years and ended up buying it from him. But this guy said he had to buy the other mate to it from his friend who was a lefty that played a 58' V! He ended up with both guitars for a very affordable price and had the cover story about them. Check it out because they are both totally legit and verified.

Dear All,
    I am a newbie here and I thought I share also some info here. I did some research in the 90ies on Modernistics as I had planned to write a book back then.
    I do have numerous pictures of original Explorers, Vs, Futuras and Explorer bass.
    Do need to scan them in all.
    Here a few more info on already mentioned serials and a new one:

8 3837 owned by SB in the 90ies
    8 3848 also owned by SB in the 90ies, someone wrote on this thread about a
    headstock repair on this. I have a photo where you can clearly see the
    broken and badly glued piece, will come later.
    8 3868 owned in the 90ies by LB

I have a few very detailed pictures on that mahogany Futura prototype that was featured in the Vintage Guitar Magazine. I do also have a photo of another Futura prototype, also mahogany, without toggle switch.

let me know if you are interested.
    Greets
    Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Senmen View Post
    Dear All,
    I am a newbie here and I thought I share also some info here. I did some research in the 90ies on Modernistics as I had planned to write a book back then.
    I do have numerous pictures of original Explorers, Vs, Futuras and Explorer bass.

I have a few very detailed pictures on that mahogany Futura prototype that was featured in the Vintage Guitar Magazine. I do also have a photo of another Futura prototype, also mahogany, without toggle switch.

Greets
    Oliver

Oliver,

Welcome to the forum

Sounds like you have some GREAT info and pics, Can't wait for you
    to share it with the rest of us. Will look foward to it.

I know things vary, maybe even more so with low production number Gibsons, but doesn't the truss rod cover seem to be rather far from the nut and close to the tuners?

Les Paul Forum Member

es5bug,
    from the photos and my experiance with these unusual huge limba planks that guitar does as mentioned looks to be from the small run of Korina Explorers shipped in the early 60s but without having it examined by a reputable vintage guitar expert its hard to say if its a neck only refin or not.. Aside from the nickle hardware and silver capped knobs there are a few other tail tale signs that one might look at when checking these things out. one is that they used the 6 on a strip tuners already in use on several other models at the time including some epiphones but had to modify them by grinding the pointed ends near the low E string so they would not stick out past the headstock. Another thing I've noticed although not a hard and fast rule is the bottom strap button is always located between the rear horn and the middle of the guitar compaired to an actual Explorer shipped in 1958 as it will usually be closer to the end of the rear horn maybe 4 inches in. Also these Explorers shipped in 62 and 63 usually have one less pickguard screw. Most real 58s with gold hardware have an extra screw near the toggle switch. Then there is the truss rod cover a plain single ply black as used on LP jrs melody makers ect...although I've seen several that was changed to the better looking wide lip type. Also as with most Gibson solidbodies from this period the nylon looking saddles. Robb Lawrence and I discussed these early 60 Explorers and he stated some even had a cheaper looking finish like maybe they didnt use a final buffing process and believe me he has seen quite a few of these over the yrs.
    Last edited by burstman59; 06-15-09 at 10:26 PM.

es5bug

thanks for the pics. Looks great!

... she was mumblin' to some howlin' wolf about some voodoo healin'

more pics...are welcome
    Turn it louder please...

Here is one of Derringer with his split headstock in '76.

on the middle & bridge pickup of my L.P. Custom

Really, I think this stuff is great! Knowledge is power!
    It's like `50's Special's.. Out of the 1,821 Special's made in 1959, only 612 were Cherry finished. The rest were TV Finished. I have a `59 Cherry Finish!

Quote Originally Posted by Tonehawk View Post
    Here is one of Derringer with his split headstock in '76.

Check out the Dimarzio's and the coil tap switch!ARRRGGGGHHHH! The things some people did to these vintage beauties back in the day!

At least they got played then - and Rick loved his one so much he had a copy made of it for live use.

Quote Originally Posted by Senmen View Post
    Dear All,

Greets
    Oliver
    Hey Oliver,
    It's time to share the pics.If you don't want to post them on the Forum pls send them via email to me.Very much interested in Korinas and Futura guitars.
    Hope all is well.
    Greetings - Andreja
    Turn it louder please...

Oliver, I would also love to see those pics. I can never get enough of Explorers. I still dream of owning one of the very few originals. If I can help you post the pics I'll be happy to do it. Thanks for your knowledge and info.

Here's another one for the list - 9 1995!

http://davesguitar.com/collection/wall/

Just resurrecting one of the most interesting Explorer threads ever
    Someone should do a book on the subject!

Thanks - I don't know if the OP is still keeping track of this thread, with only 3 posts last year..

So here's the updated list:

8-1008 [authenticity doubtful]
    8-1431
    8-2118
    8-2142
    8-2153
    8-2157
    8-3549
    8-3837
    8-3848
    8-3849
    8-3850
    8-3868
    8-3872
    8-3873
    8-3876
    8-3882
    8-4096
    8-4451
    8-4536
    8-4539
    8-4541
    8-4542
    8-4543
    8-4544
    8-4545
    8-4548
    8-4549
    8-4550
    8-4551
    8-4552
    8-4559
    8-4561
    8-4567
    8-4592
    9-1715
    9-1995
    27121 (pressed-in)
    28012 (pressed-in)

that's 38 now...out of....???
    Last edited by keef; 11-17-14 at 10:40 AM.

According to many "experts," that's 37 out of... 22!
    That's what I love about this thread

Who says there are only 22?
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by 27sauce View Post
    Who says there are only 22?
    Shipping records from '58-'59 show 98 Flying V's, and something else called "Korina (Mod.gtr)" - 22 shipped.

Since nobody believes that there are 22 Modernes out there, the assumption is that it refers to Explorers.

We also know that there were more Ex's shipped in the early '60s. If we assume (I've heard it, but don't remember the source) that Gibson made bodies/necks in batches of 40, and we also know that a few of the bodies were turned into basses, we might have most or all accounted for... and, realistically, a few replicas.

Quote Originally Posted by VonPrikler View Post
    Just resurrecting one of the most interesting Explorer threads ever
    Someone should do a book on the subject!

http://www.amazon.com/Flying-Explore...274599&sr=1-34

Thanks for the heads up Moderne - I do hope Mr Bacon does this tricky subject justice....those interviews are nice, exploring the influence of those guitars on other brands is OK - but Tony, what we really need is detailed photos of as many (claimed) originals as possible, also under the hood, plus the stories of their owners and known provenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Shipping records from '58-'59 show 98 Flying V's, and something else called "Korina (Mod.gtr)" - 22 shipped.

Since nobody believes that there are 22 Modernes out there, the assumption is that it refers to Explorers.

We also know that there were more Ex's shipped in the early '60s. If we assume (I've heard it, but don't remember the source) that Gibson made bodies/necks in batches of 40, and we also know that a few of the bodies were turned into basses, we might have most or all accounted for... and, realistically, a few replicas.

This remains an intriguing issue...if there are 37 Explorers listed here (assuming they're no fakes), I would certainly not expect that only one batch was made. Two would be more likely, which would add up to approximately 80 guitars or less. Personally I never bought the 22 estimate.

Should be interesting! Hopefully we will see some of the guitars listed here featured in the book.

Keef - I agree with you on your thinking on the total production numbers. I would find it hard to believe that we can account for nearly 100 percent of these guitars. Just like any other antique or collectible, only a portion survives, for all sorts or reasons. Assuming most of these 37 listed here are genuine, total production was probably much higher. How much higher, who knows, but 80 would not surprise me at all.

Here's one in the hands Don Preston. Always liked this guy. Good singer, killer bridge in Youngblood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZIi188Cakk

NYNY MSG 1971

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Billguess View Post
    Here's one in the hands Don Preston. Always liked this guy. Good singer, killer bridge in Youngblood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZIi188Cakk

NYNY MSG 1971

Bill

Well, that was awesome. Anyone recognize the cherry LP leaning against the amp next to EC?

Quote Originally Posted by keef View Post
    what we really need is detailed photos of as many (claimed) originals as possible, also under the hood, plus the stories of their owners and known provenance.
    That would be quite an undertaking.

Some folks asked for money for their photos. Finding the owners is also a formidable task. Though the list is small, I am attempting the feat. Anyone insterested in helping, let me know as I think there is a void in the Explorer book category-especially the originals. It would be very cool to have them all documented and in one place.

Update: I just found some photos of (purported) split headstock 8-2157:

http://www.vintageguitar.com/online-...eshi-explorer/

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/takeshi58/6277725273/

(Sorry -- double post)

Does anybody know the serial of Robert A. Johnsons Explorer?

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/othe...le-whites.html

Couple shots of Rick Derringers Explorers.Mike B.
    8-2157
    8-2157

Another one Rick owned 8-2142,i think with removed Bigsby and a mini toggle.Mike B.

My friend Joe's old Blackguard V is 8-2141

My friend Gils old Explorer Do not know the # might be a 1963 .Mike B.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast