• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

My list of known original '58 through '63 korina Explorer serial numbers

es5bug

Hi everybody. I have just come across an early 60s Explorer purchases from Gruhn many years ago, with nickel hardware, oval-button tuners, metal-cap knobs, Pat #s and ABR-1 with retaining-wire (but metal saddles, not plastic). It has NO serial number on the back of its headstock. Does it mean its neck has been refinished?... finish looks really old and original on both sides of the guitar.... Thanks for your help!

es5bug

explorer63body.jpg

explorer63head.jpg

explorer63headbk.jpg

swankmotee

Delete this question if it's already included, but did you guys get the serial of Rick Vito's example? I just read that article again in VG about him finding the Explorer & V that was just too awesome!

keef

Es5bug, thanks a bunch for the pics - cool as hell!

I DO hope that it's real, but can't answer your question. Those saddles look like plastic in the pic BTW..

andreja marovic

Look like early 60's...
anyway killer vibe.Love those Modern guitars...
Still looking for my Explorer.

JJ Jones

Delete this question if it's already included, but did you guys get the serial of Rick Vito's example? I just read that article again in VG about him finding the Explorer & V that was just too awesome!

How did it happen?

59gibson

es5bug,

First off, very cool guitar and pics:salude :salude As others have said, it appears to be a early 60s Explorer
judging by nickle parts, strip tunners, bridge with retaining wire.

Hate to make call without guitar in my hands, but from photo the finish does
not look right:wah With serial # missing and what I see in photo, I would say it's a refin. Still, very cool guitar.:wow
BTW, does it have a original case?

swankmotee

How did it happen?

I can't remember the exact story in Vintage Guitar, but Rick Vito was approached by, or found out about an older local black player who played an original Explorer for many years and ended up buying it from him. But this guy said he had to buy the other mate to it from his friend who was a lefty that played a 58' V! He ended up with both guitars for a very affordable price and had the cover story about them. Check it out because they are both totally legit and verified.

Senmen

Dear All,
I am a newbie here and I thought I share also some info here. I did some research in the 90ies on Modernistics as I had planned to write a book back then.
I do have numerous pictures of original Explorers, Vs, Futuras and Explorer bass.
Do need to scan them in all.
Here a few more info on already mentioned serials and a new one:

8 3837 owned by SB in the 90ies
8 3848 also owned by SB in the 90ies, someone wrote on this thread about a
headstock repair on this. I have a photo where you can clearly see the
broken and badly glued piece, will come later.
8 3868 owned in the 90ies by LB

I have a few very detailed pictures on that mahogany Futura prototype that was featured in the Vintage Guitar Magazine. I do also have a photo of another Futura prototype, also mahogany, without toggle switch.

let me know if you are interested.
Greets
Oliver

59gibson

Dear All,
I am a newbie here and I thought I share also some info here. I did some research in the 90ies on Modernistics as I had planned to write a book back then.
I do have numerous pictures of original Explorers, Vs, Futuras and Explorer bass.

I have a few very detailed pictures on that mahogany Futura prototype that was featured in the Vintage Guitar Magazine. I do also have a photo of another Futura prototype, also mahogany, without toggle switch.

Greets
Oliver

Oliver,

Welcome to the forum:welcome

Sounds like you have some GREAT info and pics, Can't wait for you
to share it with the rest of us. Will look foward to it.:salude

Brown Recluse

I know things vary, maybe even more so with low production number Gibsons, but doesn't the truss rod cover seem to be rather far from the nut and close to the tuners?

burstman59

es5bug,
from the photos and my experiance with these unusual huge limba planks that guitar does as mentioned looks to be from the small run of Korina Explorers shipped in the early 60s but without having it examined by a reputable vintage guitar expert its hard to say if its a neck only refin or not.. Aside from the nickle hardware and silver capped knobs there are a few other tail tale signs that one might look at when checking these things out. one is that they used the 6 on a strip tuners already in use on several other models at the time including some epiphones but had to modify them by grinding the pointed ends near the low E string so they would not stick out past the headstock. Another thing I've noticed although not a hard and fast rule is the bottom strap button is always located between the rear horn and the middle of the guitar compaired to an actual Explorer shipped in 1958 as it will usually be closer to the end of the rear horn maybe 4 inches in. Also these Explorers shipped in 62 and 63 usually have one less pickguard screw. Most real 58s with gold hardware have an extra screw near the toggle switch. Then there is the truss rod cover a plain single ply black as used on LP jrs melody makers ect...although I've seen several that was changed to the better looking wide lip type. Also as with most Gibson solidbodies from this period the nylon looking saddles. Robb Lawrence and I discussed these early 60 Explorers and he stated some even had a cheaper looking finish like maybe they didnt use a final buffing process and believe me he has seen quite a few of these over the yrs.

Last edited:

TM1

Really, I think this stuff is great! Knowledge is power!
It's like `50's Special's.. Out of the 1,821 Special's made in 1959, only 612 were Cherry finished. The rest were TV Finished. I have a `59 Cherry Finish!

keef

At least they got played then - and Rick loved his one so much he had a copy made of it for live use.

andreja marovic

Dear All,

Greets
Oliver

Hey Oliver,
It's time to share the pics.If you don't want to post them on the Forum pls send them via email to me.Very much interested in Korinas and Futura guitars.
Hope all is well.
Greetings - Andreja