• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Help me ID this SG

Seoighs

Hey Folks: An acquaintance of mine recently came into possession of the SG in the attached photos, but I am at a loss to positively identify it. It seems to be a '72 'SG Special', but has obviously been modified. Sorry he didn't provide a 'full frontal pic', but these are pretty detailed. A closer assesment would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

eBay030.jpg

IMG]http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w283/seoighs/eBay030.jpg[/IMG]
eBay031.jpg

eBay029.jpg

eBay032.jpg

Leña_Costoso

I'd say thats a much "modded" SG II from early 70's. Characterized by a zero angle neck, top control plate, and plastic covered Mini-Humbuckers.

The neck bridge pickup has been changed. The control plate has also been fabricated. The screw layout - on the control plate - is unlike that of any other SG that had the front plate. Also the controls themselves, and the layout is totally non-standard. The bridge, naturally, is non-standard.

Not seen in the pictures... volute on the neck, no rear route on the body, zero neck angle. Seen... lack of sculpting in the cutaways at the top of the body.

If you remove the bridge pickup ring... you'll see it's been routed. If you remove the control plate... you'll see its been routed, or the original screw hole locations. Could be somebody got it "without the controls" and fabbed up something to make it work. My guess is you've got a coil tap and phase switch going on there... on the bridge pickup (which is probably a 4 or 5 wire aftermarket pickup). The other controls would be pickup selector, volume, volume and tone.

Could have been one of these too
1972%20SG%20Pro.jpg

Not all the SG Pro's had Bigsby as a standard feature. They did have 3 way switch and 2 vol 2 tone controls tho. The SG II had only slide switches. Note neither has the screw hole layout the one in question does.

Here's the SG II from 73ish

1973SG_ad.jpg

Last edited:

Seoighs

Thanks guys, most helpful. Thanks for the gbase link Cody, and Lena- I agree the brochure shot pretty much nails it as a heavily-modded 'SG II'.

MUCH appreciated!:dude:

badhabit

Thanks for the thread, I had an SG in the 70's I could never ID and had never seen one like it. Looks like it was an SG Pro, however mine had humbuckers and trapezoid inlays as I remember. Traded it in for a '73 LP Custom. God, wish I still had that too!

Seoighs

Not to be crass...and I honestly don't know what he paid, but anybody care to ventue a guess as to 'value'?...I figure <$1k at this point, with all the changes.

others?

Leña_Costoso

Much that would determine its value, is not seen, not known from what is provided here. Think in terms of a players value though, from ... whatever, to quite a bit less than ouch.

Kap'n

Yep, modded SG II. The SG III model had a sunburst. The one in Cody's post is actually an SG III.

The necks are really narrow on these.