• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Who Plays A Les Paul Thru A Fender Amp?

Hotshot

I guess...

IMG_5301-L.jpg

G Jarvis

Love a Les Paul through a Blackface Fender. Even more so once I got a set of Ellis LRP pickups in it.

JeffBlue

I have a 2012 Gibson Les Paul Supreme that I have totally modified and a Precision Guitar Kits custom '54 Black Korina chambered body and they both sound excellent through my:

1968 Fender Silverface Vibro Champ
1969 Fender Drip Edge Bandmaster Reverb and
Fender Super Champ X2

Fender amps are excellent with just about any guitar

WytLytnyn

Love my Fender amps
1979 Fender Silverface Vibro Champ - rebuilt, Jensen reissue (Play through this 90% of the time at home)
1970 Fender Deluxe Reverb - all original

WytLytnyn

I hear you. I used to play a Blues Deluxe (practically a HRDx with less overdrive) and then switched to a DRRI. The difference is night and day. That thing breaks up so nicely. I have never turned it up to 7 as far as I remember, I run mine at about 4 or 5 usually but that's exactly where the overdrive can be controlled nicely with the volume control. I mostly play archtops so I have to controll my feedback ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIASAwZaQRs

You'd have a decent sized space to run a DR on "7" for a while but the "sweet spot" on my 1970 is around "6" in the normal channel in terms of being able to control the drive and bite with your picking dynamics and guitar knobs.

folgers_is_evil

I play my R9 and Strat through Marshalls (an 18W most of the time), but I also have a handbuilt BF deluxe replica and I love it with the Lester! I usually push the volume on channel 2 between 6 and 7 and use the volume control on the guitar! It's a wonderful sounding combination!

RJLII

Two of my amps have Fender topography. One is a Fender/Valco hybrid. My Les Pauls sound glorious through all of them.

bluesroom

I have a 66 deluxe reverb. Had a G12 H 30 in there for years and played a Strat with effects to drive the amp and was happy with that. Then I started playing Les Pauls and just couldn't bond with the amp straight in. I mean I loved the les Paul through a dimed tweed champ, which is one of my favorite tones. So I recently started experimenting with speakers and still no luck. Then low and behold, I put the original Oxford back in there and magic happened. The amp when full up was sweet and toneful , not harsh and ear piercing. I've decided that if I like an original speaker --- from now on I'll re-cone if need be.
I do have couple of questions
1) Has anyone discovered a perfect speaker match for the DR, that they are continually happy with?
2) What effects are you guys using in between the guitar and amp

Dave P

Back when I could crank amps up, I liked to play a LP through my white Tremolux with the 2x10 cab, and my white Bassman with the 2x12 cab.

lare65

I have a 66 deluxe reverb. Had a G12 H 30 in there for years and played a Strat with effects to drive the amp and was happy with that. Then I started playing Les Pauls and just couldn't bond with the amp straight in. I mean I loved the les Paul through a dimed tweed champ, which is one of my favorite tones. So I recently started experimenting with speakers and still no luck. Then low and behold, I put the original Oxford back in there and magic happened. The amp when full up was sweet and toneful , not harsh and ear piercing. I've decided that if I like an original speaker --- from now on I'll re-cone if need be.
I do have couple of questions
1) Has anyone discovered a perfect speaker match for the DR, that they are continually happy with?
2) What effects are you guys using in between the guitar and amp

1) I have a -66 (or -67) DR and I have gone through a whole bunch of speakers and I´ve settled with the Celestion A-type. I´ve tried Celestion gold (ok but a little spikey upper mid), WGS G12C (too bright), WGS G12C/S (good but to efficient, got some piezzo sound on low volume settings), Eminence GA-12 (the only one I sometimes are tempted to put back in), Celestion heritage G12-65 (cant remember..) WGS ET65 (a bit too loose) Jensen RI C12N ( a bit too stiff ) Jensen C12Q RI (too little low mid). I liked my Oxford original speaker but it has a voice coil rub so it must be reconed. But I´m really happy with the A-type.
2) No effects.

Edit: I must admit that the speakers are choosed for the best tone with singlecoils though. I like 10" speakers best with humbuckers so with the LP I choose my Vibrolux reverb -66 or my Super reverb -64.

Last edited:

MichaelDCarter

IMG_0570.jpgQUOTE=BurstMeUp;1500715]I'm waiting on delivery of my first Fender amp ('65 Deluxe Reverb RI), which I purchased to use with my Strats. But I started wondering how a Les Paul sounds through a smaller (1 x 12"), "turned up", clean Fender amp. :hmm Comments or sound clip links?? :hank[/QUOTE]

----
I play only through Fender (well a Kendrick and Victoria too) tweed amps. For home and condo use I use a tweed champ. I'm fairly new to the LP thing, not having played one a lot since the mid 80s, but these amps are all working great with it.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
Here's a demo shot with a few different tones from my Les Paul through a 1964 Deluxe Reverb using guitar volume and a hint of Keeley modded Blues Driver in a couple of spots:

Hey. How'd that strat get in there?

sonar

My first really good amp was a '68 Drip Edge Vibrolux Reverb I bought in the early 90's. I've been hooked ever since.

MDent77

Here's a demo shot with a few different tones from my Les Paul through a 1964 Deluxe Reverb using guitar volume and a hint of Keeley modded Blues Driver in a couple of spots:

Hey. How'd that strat get in there?

Excellent.

WytLytnyn

Back when I could crank amps up, I liked to play a LP through my white Tremolux with the 2x10 cab, and my white Bassman with the 2x12 cab.

That must have sounded glorious with all that tube sag and air being pushed.