• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Lightweight TP won't fit studs?

Richard47

Need a little help here. If this has been covered before, I apologize, searching came up with nothing. I wanted to replace the tailpiece on my '70 LP goldtop with a new lightweight version. I ordered one from RS and when I attempted the instalation into the existing studs, the TP would not fit. It was a bit to thick. I have the option of filing the back of the TP or attempting to find replacement screw-in studs that would accept the TP. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help!!

outlaw1969

I just ordered a lightweight TP through RS, and the last thing I would do is start modifying it. Change the studs, that would be my guess. You would be able to set the original TP and studs aside, and replace the original hardware if you ever sell the guitar.

While you are at it, you might just go ahead and get the studs from RS, too. Roy has some steel versions, just like the old ones. They are expensive, but it is a one time investment. Or you could do like another member here did, and go through your local techs "spare parts" box with a magnet and get two original, good ones.