The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Thread: Fret life?

Fret life?

Last edited by Greco; 08-04-14 at 07:47 PM.

Les Paul Froum Member

Re: Fret life?

Don't worry bout it, Play

I had mine refretted in 2005 and Plekked too. I just had them recrowned polished etc. due to the above.

You've got 12 months, tops.

Les Paul Forum Member wavygravy's Avatar

It depends on a few things:

1. style/technique
    2. pressure applied - soft or hard touch
    3. fret material
    4. fret width/fret height
    5. how anal you are or aren't about having "perfect frets"
    6. type of strings

I can play a guitar everyday for years and never have fret problems, I have a light touch, but then again, I just play the damn guitars. I can't stand fretting over little worn down spots, never bothered me. After about 300 guitars (I buy, sell and trade) I've owned in the last 40 years, only had to have one refretted. It was in dire need of frets when I bought it, somebody really played the shit out of that one.
    Welcome to Sprockets, I am your host, Dieter.....Go ahead, touch my monkey...

If you use nickel strings they do a lot less damage to the frets than steel strings do.

Les Paul Forum Member Heritage 80's Avatar

Style has a huge impact on fret life. I used to "dig in" (fretting and picking) a lot harder in my younger days and went through frets fairly quickly (1 - 2 years), but as I gradually learned to lighten my grip and pick attack to improve my playing, I noticed that my guitar's frets lasted longer.

Les Paul Forum Member Leña_Costoso's Avatar

1. Most wear is (usually) on the unwound strings. These are the same in "pure nickel" and "nickel plated" sets. So the fretwear differences would only apply to the wear on the wound strings.

2. BIG issue - is how clean those strings are! Change strings OFTEN before they can get micro rusty (abrasvie) or on the wound strings, collect grit and stuff from your hands (abrasive).

3. Everything else.

4. If you ever need a refret, get a refret in stainless, and really kiss fretwear good bye for good.

when i had my 1st MIM tele, after 4 years i wore out the 1st 5 frets with grooves in it from the unwound strings, the strings kinda dug in the frets, and i noticed on most of the higher frets that the frets kinda became flatter, due to alot of bending and stuff, but i notices some wear on specific freinds due to the songs that i play and stuff.

i had my LP for 4 months now, and i can see slight wear in the 1st 3 frets, but im not sweating it, casue i bought this guitar to play not to put it behind glass.

I had my frets dressed and polished maybe 6 months ago tops and already they are showing signs of wear in some areas. I raised my action to 1.6mm on both sides and it helps a lot for the few areas that were getting a slight amount of buzz, plus I actually am liking the added height more.

I would say my frets should last a long time but they will need levelling and dressing semi frequently.

Les Paul Forum Member GlassSnuff's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heritage 80 View Post
    Style has a huge impact on fret life. I used to "dig in" (fretting and picking) a lot harder in my younger days and went through frets fairly quickly (1 - 2 years), but as I gradually learned to lighten my grip and pick attack to improve my playing, I noticed that my guitar's frets lasted longer.
    +1

You shouldn't be pressing the strings against the fretboard.

I've been playing my Custom for over 20 years, and it doesn't need frets, yet (soon, though, very soon). I use a capo when playing alone to move the wear to the less commonly used positions.

i have a studio lite that i got new in 1992 at the age of 15 (still the only new guitar i've ever owned), and maybe it was a function of youthful agressive playing, maybe softer fretwire, but i killed that first set of frets in around 3 years.

even worse, i had to wait till i was out of college and had a job till i could afford to get it refretted, so there were a few rough years of playing low, pitted frets in there.

anyway, the last 8 years have passed with fairly minimal wear on the frets. perhaps due to harder wire, perhaps due to more refined technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Leña_Costoso View Post
    4. If you ever need a refret, get a refret in stainless, and really kiss fretwear good bye for good.
    I wish this were true. I have completely worn out the stainless frets on my Steinberger GL-2TA......20 years or so of heavy playing will wear ANYTHING out.