• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Pigtail Replacements

akstrat61

Well, the time has come to change my studs, bushings and tailpiece on my '55 Jr. I did this on another Jr I had about 4-5 years ago. Of course then, that guitar was worth about $1500. For some reason, I am a little more concerned this time around. Steve is waiting to hear from me about how long of bushing I will need. He is set up now to make them and will custom them the length I need.

This '55 has leaned since I got it. Not real bad, but is starting to concern me. I don't want the piece to chip out between the lower stud and the pup, like I have seen many do. I'm sure we all know what the value of these guitars has done. This one is completely straight, I have already pulled the tuners off, since the others were beginning to look very weak. I play this one out quite a bit.

Last time I did this repair, I used a stack of half inch washers to pull the old bushings out and the new ones just went in like no ones business. I will tape around the old bushings before I start and cut with an exacto around the old studs and finish that might get in the way of removal and chip the finish.

I know this process has been discussed here before and I have reviewed the related threads. Am I missing something here and should I have a pro do this, or do people think this is a repair the lay guitarist can do himself?

Here goes! Let me know your thoughts before I begin. Thanks!
IMG_0791.jpg

straightblues

I have done that before. But even so, a guitar worth that amount of money I would have a professional with a good name do. You can use it as a sales tool and get even more money.

akstrat61

I have done that before. But even so, a guitar worth that amount of money I would have a professional with a good name do. You can use it as a sales tool and get even more money.

I don't plan on selling this guitar. It is just too great of a player. I shouldn't be so skeptical about my abilities, just not a repair I have much experience with. Not much response to this thread, but i think I'm off to do a little repair. Wish me luck. I will post a pict or two when it is done.:photos

Mark