• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Practicing to a Metronome, Help Please!

soulpower

Hey everyone,

Just looking for some tips to improve my timing especially while soloing. I find when I take my leads I often go out of time especially during fast licks. Now I've been play for quite a while I play rythem well, I Know alot of licks. Just seems when I'm jamming with a band this is an are I need to improve on.

Would you recommend practicing to a metronome religiously?
With scales etc.

Thansk for any advice.

Yardbird Mac

Or... a drum machine. My first drum machine was on board a Digitech RP50... a great help to my phrasing and playing in general:jim!!!

huw

Tip for practicing with the metronome: set it to exactly half the speed you want, and think of it as sounding on 2 & 4 (like the drummer's snare).

Just seems to help it feel more 'swinging' somehow...

ES350

definitely...use a metronome. If you are using a lot of bends and vibrato, play it in time...

sinner

Coincidence--I just got a new Sabine metronome today in the mail. Cute little thing, loud, has a stand and flashing LEDs, adjustable accents. Probably the best 25 bucks I ever spent for my musical training!

MalibuLP37

I have only been playing guitar for a couple of years, but I have been playing Woodwinds (Sax, Clarinet, and Flute) for a little over 14 years. Any of my other musician buddies, mostly music majors, will say that if you do not use a metronome you are holding your playing back. I have found the metronome to be the most powerful tool in my practicing and playing on any instrument I have ever played. I cant say how much it has helped me become a "decent guitar player" in such little time. This is coming from a uy with a bachelors and masters degree in music, so take it to heart. You'll find it is the best thing you can possibly do for your guitar playing. Have fun.
-MLP:wail

J.D.

Yes, and also play along with the stereo cranked up or through headphones, it helps me out with staying in time.

HappyGilmour

Whenever anyone posts a thread asking for help on how to improve their playing, my answer is always to get out the metronome.
It's always part of any first lesson I give too, not that I'm an expert teacher, but peeps are always asking me for help. Anyone who takes this advice always jumps up their playing immediately.

oldfaithful

My 2 cents

Well, I'll play devil's advocate and disagree here. I do agree that for a beginner a metronome is a good thing to get one used to playing in time. But once a person reaches a certain level, it's not necessary. So long as you can tap your foot in time, which is my "metronome", you should have good meter. Plus, I hate the sound of the damn things. A drum effect is much nicer if you need a beat to play with.