• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

'Gearbox' on Grover broken...?

ssb7171

I have Grover vintage tuners on one of my guitars, and the 'gear box' has become loose on the low E. And since the tuner itself is connected to the gear box, when the gear box gets loose the guitar goes out of tune! I read that there is a tab to lock it in, I thought it might have come loose, but when I took the tuner out and looked in the front there was nothing that looked like an obvious fix. Sorry for making a short story long, but does anyone know a fix for this or do I need a new Grover?

Don

Is it the type that looks like an old Kluson but is diecast?

ssb7171

Don, yeah it's the type that looks like a Kluson.

Reading my post again, I realized that it was probably too confusing for anyone to understand! So I took a couple pictures to show the situation:

tuner intact
2980472670086164433S425x425Q85.jpg

but the back comes loose!
2152747430086164433S425x425Q85.jpg

the gearbox just keeps popping slightly loose, and if you try to tune the string the gearbox just pulls totally off

I figure I'll probably just have to get a new one, but thought one of you guys might have a quick-fix

Don

That might be too far gone to repair. They've never been a very strudy tuner.

Usually, the tab on the right and 2 posts on the left can be hit with a nail set or a center punch while assembled to the base to spread the tab and posts to hold it all together.
The earlier ones just have 2 tabs. The 2 posts made them a little stronger.

I have a few spares of that tuner from my long gone 1993 Studio in gold that you can have for the cost of shipping if you're interested. They're a little older than yours and have the 2 tabs instead of the tab and 2 posts, but should look the same.

ssb7171

Don, thanks for the info. I tried some adhesive on the tab, not how sure that will work out, but we shall see!

As for your offer, that's very kind of you. I've sent you an email regarding it.

Leña_Costoso

Lay the box on a flat surface - sturdy one, with the tuner all assembled.

With the base plate up, you'll see where the posts were "peened" or expanded to hold it in place. Get an automatic center punch (spring loaded affair) and give each one a few strokes, pressing the baseplate tightly against the box as you do. That'll fix it.