• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

REPAIRED NECKS ? PROs vs CONs

Iplay4JC

I've been scanning eBay and have seen several LPs with repaired necks. Unfortunately some of the Standards/Classics I've liked, but not bidded on, have repaired necks. (Several repairs looked "clean", while others really looked questionable I.E. glue, crack-lines aren't filled, etc). Currently someone's auctioning his LP Standard but it's got a repaired neck. I'd like to bid on it but am uncertain about its "stability".

That being said, what are the pros and cons of a repaired neck? I'd appreciate your experienced opinions. Thanks. :mslim

juniorspecial

All Access/Backstage Pass
Well, if you have a broken neck, and you don't repair it, you won't be able to play the thing.

If it's repaired properly, the guitar is as good as new. It might even be more stable than new. If the repair is crappy, you'll have to get it repaired again.

So, buying it used, if it's been repaired it might be good, or it might be bad.

So, find out the name of the repairman, or repairchick, and find out if they're any good at all. You know, if the guy selling the guitar did the repair a couple weeks ago, and now he's selling the guitar because he doesn't like it any more, well, that says one thing.

If the repair was done 9 years ago, by Dan Erlewine, and since then, the guy gigged it over and over, but now he's selling it to pay his brother-in-law back for his DUI bail, well, that says something else.

So, you're in a situation where you need to gather more data. If the seller will not provide more data, or is evasive, you should take that into the equation.

After you analyze your wallet, and your personal comfort factor with the situation, you can make a bid. Or not.

Iplay4JC

I've sent the seller an email regarding the repair work, just waiting on a response. Appreciate your taking the time to answer. Aside from being good or bad, my other concern regards resonance and tuning. (Apologize for not adding that earlier).

I'll wait and see what kind of response I get from the seller.

shuie

The best guitar I've ever played in my life has a repaired headstock.

Humbuck

Simple...you may be able to get a great guitar for really cheap, and not have to worry about baby-ing it so much. You MUST make sure the repair is correctly done though. Great stage/road option.

There may be nothing essentially wrong with a broken and repaired guitar. They surely can play just as good and sound just as good.

Just don't pay to much, cause you won't get too much if you want to sell it usually...depends on vintage.

holygrail

Les Paul Froum Member
Duane Allman's " Hot Lanta " Burst has a repaired headstock . :ganz

Iplay4JC

Thanks for the additional responses. I've yet to hear from the seller and he's got less than an hour to go. So, I'll just move on and file away this gained knowledge for future reference. Thanks again!

Standard 64

If you want to see some pictures and discussion about fixed cracks go to edromanguitars.com.Click on general info then repairs then gibson repair.Good luck.

screamingdaisy

The best guitar I've ever played in my life has a repaired headstock.

+1.

If you look at right side of the neck you can see a line going against the grain that starts at the nut and goes to the bottom of the pic;

Headstock2.jpg

Now you see it, now you don't.

DSC00608.jpg

Best playing and sounding LP I've come across to date.

Repaired necks are great if you're looking for a player guitar and not a collector guitar. Although I'm sure that a broken neck 50s LP with 6 inch section missing out the middle would still catch a fair price these days. The trick is making sure it's a good repair and that it sounds good. Personally, I'd have a hard time bidding on a repaired guitar off EBay since there's no way I could examine it first.

Electramone

I worked for an amazing repair/luthier for many years. That's how I got most of my good stuff. Affordable broken headstock guitars. Like the others said if it's done correctly it's good as new. But you have to know what to look for. If it's mangled a graft or "scarf joint" is the way to go. Ebay is tough in this case cause w/o good pics you can't always tell.

Iplay4JC

I worked for an amazing repair/luthier for many years. That's how I got most of my good stuff. Affordable broken headstock guitars. Like the others said if it's done correctly it's good as new. But you have to know what to look for. If it's mangled a graft or "scarf joint" is the way to go. Ebay is tough in this case cause w/o good pics you can't always tell.
So true, so true. If I ever get close to purchasing one it'll have to be local. Thanks for all the responses!

roycaster

I understand the facts about broken headstocks, but to this day I am still a little squeamish about them. When I bought my Gold Top, it had a split in the headstock from someone changing the tuners. Fortunately the guy that I was going entrust with the repair was able to take glance at it gave me his blessing. A few years after the repair, it plays great, stays in tune, everything you could ask for. But I know if I ever go to sell it, it will be an issue.