• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

RANDALL Tube Amps?

Yardbird Mac

Has anyone here tried or bought one of the RANDALL tube combo amps? If so... opinions please! Thanks.

BurstMeUp

The "G3" series of Randall combo (tube) amps come in a different flavors. Click HERE to read about them. Literally, it is transistor ciruitry, with one tube added. They sound GREAT. I have used Randall amps since I bought an RG80-112C (see below) in 1982. I purchased the RG200/G2 Series in late 2005, when the tube models weren't yet made public.

They sound different, but not necessarily better than the non-tube G2 models. IMO, absolutely the most bang for your buck! Are they "hi-gain"?? YOU BET!! ... but that can all be dialed out, and you can play as clean and quacky as SRV through a blackface! I also own a Marshall DSL50, so I have a small grasp of the difference between tubes and transistors, using a Strat and a Les Paul.

randalls2.jpg

Yardbird Mac

Actually... the RG50TC (ALL TUBE) was the one I specifically had in mind,

50 watts RMS
1 X 12" Celestion 80 speaker
2 EL34 Power Tubes
4 12AX7EHs
Two channels - 4 modes

not the hybrids.

EdMan57

I had an early '90s Randall Pro-Tube 1000 [55 watts from a pair of 6L6 power tubes-5x12AX7A in pre-amp] that I loved.Thing weighed a ton [okay,more like 75 lbs],so my aging back couldn't deal with the load anymore and I sold it to a good home.Great,Fender like cleans and hot-rodded Marshall meets Mesa overdrive tones...plus an excellent tube driven reverb.The EQ section was quite affective and the thing was loud as hell...if only it had weighed 40-50 lbs.

Ed

Yardbird Mac

I had an early '90s Randall Pro-Tube 1000 [55 watts from a pair of 6L6 power tubes-5x12AX7A in pre-amp] that I loved.Thing weighed a ton [okay,more like 75 lbs],so my aging back couldn't deal with the load anymore and I sold it to a good home.Great,Fender like cleans and hot-rodded Marshall meets Mesa overdrive tones...plus an excellent tube driven reverb.The EQ section was quite affective and the thing was loud as hell...if only it had weighed 40-50 lbs.

Ed

Thanks... I haven't played the one I'm looking at yet. Perhaps after the Christmas "rush" is over!

southeuro

Hi Ed, I have one myself and trying to sell.. would you mind letting me know where you sold it and how much it'd fetch these days? Thanks

Ed

EdMan57

I think I was able to get around $350 for it around 15 years ago. I sold it locally [Craigslist] in the San Diego area. Probably get much more today if in nice shape. Those amps are hard to find and have a cool factor going on. Good luck.

Ed