• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Les Paul Custom Peter Frampton Signature

Rare Form

I am new to the Forum and wanted to post about my Les Paul Custom PF. I did a search on the forum and did not see much posted about the guitar and what I did see was some mixed opinions. Let me start by saying I have been playing for 26 years most of these years professionally. My band, a progressive rock band Rare Form based out of Philly/Baltimore area, has one independent release and finishing up our second.

I have owned several Les Pauls and other Gibsons and this is by far my favorite guitar. I have had it about 18 months now. I also own a CS 356 which is sweet in its own right. The PF that I got was especially well done. It is the first guitar ever from Gibson that I did not have to set up differently when I got it. It plays perfectly. I am a fan of the 60's neck and this one is just a bit thicker. Perfect for me and my small hands. Yes, it has sound chambers in it. But, this makes the guitar much more resonant than the Les Pauls I have owned in the past. It is light weight and fits very comfortably. I love the tone of this thing. It is amazing. Can I get true Les Paul tone from it? Absolutely! The magic is in using the knobs to dial in a variety of tone. I just A/B'd it last night with a Les Paul Standard (Honeyburst with 496/498T pups) and a Classic (Ebony 498/500T) before writing this post to be sure what I was saying was based on a fresh trial. When the middle pickup is dialed out and only using the bridge (500T coils exposed) it sounds just like the classic - Very hot and mid rangey with plenty of punch. It does not sound as thumpy as the Standard with only the bridge pick up however. But, here is the magic...dial in the middle pickup to about 6.5 and wallah almost dead on identical. The only difference I heard was more brightness in attack with the PF mostly because of the Ebony board. Even the feedbacked sustain started at the same spot and the same distance from the amp. The beauty of the PF is in dialing in the middle pick up and the sound chambers which give the guitar a wider range of tonal capabilities. When using a clean channel and all three pickups with the middle pickup dialied in about half and the tones all the way up you can get a very good fat Stratocaster sound. You cannot get the thin Robbie Blunt single coil sound, but you can get the Strat sound where you blend a humbucker with a single coil. Very nice. In the neck position, you can get the same deep jazzy sounds or Slash-like overdriven sounds for leads. Without the middle pickup in the neck position you can get really close to the sound of the CS 356 because of the resonant chambers which comes close to the sound of a 335 or 355 with a little less resonance and brightness. But, when you add in the middle pickup, you can increase the fatness of the tone. This is really one versatile guitar. I really think it is perfect for my style of progressive music. I thought I was being original with having one, but as soon as I brought it to practice, the other guitar player had to have one. So, now there are two in the band. It made Saul from Center City happy though. He sold his last two Framptons (at the time) to us. I sold a Les Paul Custom and a EDS 1275 to fund the Frampton and my new rig. That is how much I like this guitar. It is one of the most versatile Les Pauls I have ever played. And the combination of pickup blending and tonal chambers really allows this one to cover a lot of ground. I went and saw Frampton in October. I figured since I had the guy's signature guitar, I should pay him some respect. I have been a fan of his over the years, but quite honestly has not been my favorite guitar player and he was not a factor in purchasing the guitar. The guitar transcends Frampton. It is a progressive instrument in every right. But, after seeing Frampton, I have a new found respect for the man. He is truly under-rated. He is a fantastic player and gets superb tone from his rig. He even signed my Framptone Amp Switcher for me. Great guitarist and nice person to boot.

Here is a pic of my PF

cimg1220fy8.jpg

CLAYPOOL

Welcome to the LPF.
I'm relatively new myself and am enchanted with my first LP in over a decade - my R-9. It seems to be the only guitar I play these day and my beloved Strats are now backup guitars. I've been playing close to 40 years now, and I was trying a boutique amp and happened to grab this R-9 off the wall to test the amp. I walked out with a huge dent in my pocket, a new LP and a big grin on my face.

There are lots of LP savvy people here to learn from. enjoy your stay.......:welcome

Rare Form

Strat God, Thanks for the welcome. I know what it is like to have the pocket dent. Look at my recent purchases....

cimg1177ue3.jpg

The PF 18 months ago.
The H&K Triamp MKII Alex Lifeson Signature Model with Matching 4x12 cab with Vintage 30's one year ago.
The CS 356 about 3 years ago.

Total upgrade! But, it is a good thing the Custom Shop cases are so plush since that's where I sleep these days once the wife saw this new gear rollin in :laugh2:

JustAHack

I really like the Frampton Custom, and Frampton is a great player. A chambered Custom just seems like a really, really good idea to me. The one I've heard have sounded fantastic. I love Customs, but am hampered by the middle pickup on a 3-pickup Custom. I'm ham-handed. Looks cool and has lots of versatility, though.

I read an interview with Peter Frampton some time back where he told the story of how he acquired his original 3-pickup Custom, I wish I could remember where I read it - Vintage Guitar maybe?

A guy Frampton didn't even know heard him play in the early 70's, and after the show told him "I have something you should try." The guy pulled out the famous Custom, which had two original PAFs and a very early Dimarzio in the bridge, I think. Frampton said he was blown away by the tone, and it was the lightest LP he'd ever held. Thus the chambering on the Frampton model.

I think I remember that the guy loaned it to him, and when Frampton loved it, he just GAVE IT TO HIM. :wow

jboris

Frampton is probably one of the most underrated players out there.
I think his teenage girl-pinup poster good looks overrode his playing image.
Just listen to the LIVE album. Amazing soloing for the entire show.
Some songs even have two guitar solos. I have seen his live shows 3 times over the years and he plays his butt off.
Interestingly enough I was flipping through a guitar magazine a few years back and they had a one page picture of him with notations making all sorts of negative comments about him. they really slammed him. Weird because he is such a good player and he hated the 70's pinup image he had.

Lastly, a few years before the actual Frampton Model guitar came out, Guitar Center had been selling "their own" Frampton model. I saw it in one of their catalogs. They had a certain number of 3 pickup black les pauls made for them and their ad kept referring to Frampton. They also recently made their own 1960 Reissue (nothing to do with Frampton) which is very similar to a R0 Historic. It has a GC stamped before the serial # to keep it separate from other Historics.

badform

Hey, man!
I love the idea of the Frampton Custom, and it's very cool that your band has two of them. Everything you said confirms what I've thought about the guitar, and I'm still determined to get one someday.

I'm in the B'more area. You should post when you're going to play in the area so that forum members around here can check out your band and guitars!

Curt Basner

:welcome This is a great place to learn a lot!

I have a 1978 triple pickup Custom, in black, which I bought new back then. My inspiraiton for the entire guitar was Frampton. I wished they'd had a Frampton LP back in those days...that's for sure what I would have gotten!

I played the Frampton LP at Centre City Music. I must say that that particular guitar didn't do it for me. If it had, I would have probably purchased it (I got my R8 instead). Maybe it was the lightness of the guitar (weight-wise) that seemed odd to me. I didn't even plug it in, so I don't know how it sounded when amp'd. I really wished I would have loved it. It would have been my 'first Les Paul' all over again, only 30 years later.

Glad you love yours :salude Hang out here, and learn!

Rare Form

Thanks for the positive FB. When I did a search on this forum for the PF, I got some mixed reviews. Some thought the guitar was no good because of the chambers and the short neck tenon. I know that the tenon may be shorter than some of the newer reissues but as the product description says:

Standard Features
Frets: 22
Neck Material: 1-piece mahogany
Pickups: '57 Classic (R) '57 Classic Plus (M) 500T (T)
Controls: 2 volume, 2 tone, 3 way selector switch, wired to Frampton's specifications
Case Included: Custom shop case
Fingerboard: Ebony
Binding: Multi-ply white/black on top and back
Neck Joint: Long neck tenon
Machine Heads: Kidney bean tuners
Neck Profile: Peter Frampton custom slim neck
Inlays: Pearl Block
Body: Weight relieved mahogany back with carved maple top
Bridge/Tremolo: Nashville TOM bridge with stopbar tailpiece

Any Frampton sig. owners out there? I'd like to hear from you.

When Rare Form plays again. I will post. We are in the studio now.

badform

Excellent! When Rare Form plays live in B'more, BadForm will be there! :2zone

Iburnett04

Thanks for the positive FB. When I did a search on this forum for the PF, I got some mixed reviews. Some thought the guitar was no good because of the chambers and the short neck tenon. I know that the tenon may be shorter than some of the newer reissues but as the product description says:

Standard Features
Frets: 22
Neck Material: 1-piece mahogany
Pickups: '57 Classic (R) '57 Classic Plus (M) 500T (T)
Controls: 2 volume, 2 tone, 3 way selector switch, wired to Frampton's specifications
Case Included: Custom shop case
Fingerboard: Ebony
Binding: Multi-ply white/black on top and back
Neck Joint: Long neck tenon
Machine Heads: Kidney bean tuners
Neck Profile: Peter Frampton custom slim neck
Inlays: Pearl Block
Body: Weight relieved mahogany back with carved maple top
Bridge/Tremolo: Nashville TOM bridge with stopbar tailpiece

Any Frampton sig. owners out there? I'd like to hear from you.

When Rare Form plays again. I will post. We are in the studio now.

Hi there. I picked up my PF Les Paul Custom and I could not be any happier with it!! Serial number of PF 699. Any information on it would be much appreciated!!

Harle000

Probably way to late to get any data to you, but any way. I have No. 707. It was screwed up by the delivery service and then the electrics got botched up in the repair; so for the past 15 years I've struggled to get any decent sound out of it. Last year I took it to Bananas at Large in Marin, CA. There I met a genius sound engineer (Tim) who took the project on as a labor of hate, and then love.
New electrics, though no one, not even Gibson helped him, he even got contacts to PF himself. Anyway, new metal cord base plate (Gold) as the plastic one it came with was cracked, New Ratio locking tuners, the greatest Throbak pickups, specially done for the Les Paul FP, new pots - volume and tone - this thing is incredible, the tech at Bananas made me promise that he's given first right of refusal if I ever sell it. He thought it one of the best sounding LP's he known.
Bottom line is that the FP is good, but you can make it better, a lot better.

Señor Verde

I checked out one of the Frampton Les Pauls when GC was selling them. I couldn't afford one, but am a big Frampton fan and was interested as a fan. The one I played was pretty neck heavy, probably due to the chambering of the body and heavy Grover tuners. One thing I noticed the last time I saw Frampton live and he played the real, original Custom was, the pickups were much lower output than the pickups in the ES-335 and whatever the burst Les Paul he played that night. The Custom was sweeter sounding and didn't have the drive of the other Les Paul and '335. A 500T in the bridge may be a fun pickup, but was not even remotely sonically correct to the original. I'm guessing the Throbak's were a much better match to the original.

Regardless, I've seen Frampton 3 times and was fortunate enough to open for him at Moondance Jam a couple years ago. I didn't get to meet him, but it was a thrill just to play before him. He seems like a really nice guy, he's a great player and still sounds the same vocally.

Midnight Blues

I am a HUGE Frampton fan and have been since "Humble Pie Performance Rockin' The Fillmore" was released back in 1971. Since then, Frampton has been my favorite guitarist and "The Phenix" (not so named at the time) has always been my favorite Les Paul. In fact, it was because of him (and Mark Farner) that I wanted to play guitar to begin with.

The pickups in the his signature model (which I have), are much hotter than what he used then (mainly Seymour Duncan's) and is using now (Tom Holms). Mine really isn't neck heavy and I agree with pretty much (if not all of what "Rare Form" had to say in the OP). However, several years ago, I had pups made by SD to Frampton's specs and I just love them!

On a side note, my wife and I have been fortunate enough to meet Peter several times over the years and he couldn't be a more genuine/nicer guy.

cheers.gif

Midnight Blues

Oh, one thing I meant to mention with regard to the "other Les Paul"; depending on when you saw him, he was either using hi original "Murphy Burst", or one that Tom Murphy made for him, after his original "Murphy Burst" was lost in the Nashville flood that occurred a number of years ago and/or his '60 Burst, formerly owned by J.J. Cale.

Also, I meant to post this above too:

wgT6Hke.jpg

Harle000

I've never met him, but I gather from many friends that he's a very genuine person.
I was given a 2002 Historic 68 Re-issue some years back, but the damn think is so heavy I can only play 4 songs before my back gives out. I think it's got to be close to 11 lbs. Not a good gig guitar. The ThroBak pick ups are exceptionally good on the PF, and as I now run it through a Kemper stage and Mission 1x12, it has come alive as never before. I can't wait to get back with the band and get back to live gigs. Out of interest any one know what amp and Cab PF used?

Midnight Blues

I've never met him, but I gather from many friends that he's a very genuine person.
I was given a 2002 Historic 68 Re-issue some years back, but the damn think is so heavy I can only play 4 songs before my back gives out. I think it's got to be close to 11 lbs. Not a good gig guitar. The ThroBak pick ups are exceptionally good on the PF, and as I now run it through a Kemper stage and Mission 1x12, it has come alive as never before. I can't wait to get back with the band and get back to live gigs. Out of interest any one know what amp and Cab PF used?

11LBS!? That's a BEAST! No doubt a great guitar nonetheless.

He still uses Marshall amps mainly and cabs (1960BVs):

YHBkR9m.jpg

Note how he uses the bass input for channel I. He's done that since his days in Humble Pie.

ZHmHP3Z.jpg

psLrQop.jpg

Midnight Blues

Many thanks for the great info. Any idea what sings he used the Dumble on?

You're welcome Harle.

Sorry, I don't. After 40+ years, I'm still trying to figure-out his settings on his Marshalls! :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

:bug WOW!!!! :bug I just realized that it's going to be 50 years next year!!!!

Harle000

Good lord ............ I was skating in Venice beach, ski tape deck on my chest, Frampton blasting away ............, then Battersea Park, London what great times.

Midnight Blues

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: Time certainly flies!

I was about to turn 13 that summer when "HPPRTF" was released and that did it for me! Seems like yesterday. In many ways, I wish it was.