• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Les Paul Custom Peter Frampton Signature

Harle000

and now ....... we can't play live without endangering the band, or the punters. Where are the next generation of Rockers going to come from ......... or will the 60/70 be lost, like tears in the rain (thanks Rutger Hauer).

Midnight Blues

Sadly, I think they're gone. I know many will disagree and that's fine, but I just don't see/hear anything today that you can compare to the "Golden Age" for guitar, which for me was the '50s, '60s, '70s. The young guys call it Dinosaur Rock, which is cool, they're entitled to their opinion. As for me, I feel fortunate to have grown-up in that era and I'm more than happy to be and remain dinosaur! :)

Harle000

I'm with you all the way. I'm lucky enough to have joined a band that plays dinosaur music. Bars and clubs, but still fun. We try to play the 'B' sides of the big hits, the kind of song every one knows, but haven't heard for several years. "Whale Meat Again' - Jim Capaldi, as an example. Lots of fun, or at least it was. I had a guy come up to the stage last year in tears, gave me his hat, saying he hadn't heard Ten Years After for so long, we'd just played 'I'd Love to Change the World' ........... it just took him back.
With the PF LP in top condition I'd love to play it live - even just once.

Midnight Blues

I'm with you all the way. I'm lucky enough to have joined a band that plays dinosaur music. Bars and clubs, but still fun. We try to play the 'B' sides of the big hits, the kind of song every one knows, but haven't heard for several years. "Whale Meat Again' - Jim Capaldi, as an example. Lots of fun, or at least it was. I had a guy come up to the stage last year in tears, gave me his hat, saying he hadn't heard Ten Years After for so long, we'd just played 'I'd Love to Change the World' ........... it just took him back.
With the PF LP in top condition I'd love to play it live - even just once.

Very cool! That has to be such a blast!? I remember those songs well! I'd love to be able to do that kind of stuff again.

No doubt your PF would be able to handle it and then some. I was just playing mine acoustically earlier today. What a great guitar!

What Trobak's did you put in your's?

cheers.gif

Harle000

The ThroBak were a special set that they made specifically for the LP PF. On the box is written:
Bridge: PF -102B Frampton Custom.
8.1 short AZ
Vintage wiring
vintage baseplate.

On the box for Middle and neck:
PF - Custom MXV
Middle: 7.76k
Long AZ

Neck 7.25 long AZ
vintage wiring
Vintage Baseplate.

( The AZ might be A2)

All were wound on Leesome102 . Wire lot E0026 and E0027.
They were set up by Tim (genius) at Bananas at Large in Marin, CA.
They are truly awesome.
The Ratio locking tuners are very good and you can hear the difference on clean channel, and the gold metal cord plate is a must.
If you lived in the bay (north) I'd suggest you come and hear this beast.

Harle000

Beautiful Picture. These guitars really do stand out. And I can play it through 3 sets, no break, for 4.5-5 hours without pain pills for my back. Love the Marshall. I have a Mesa Mark V, but recently moved to a Kemper Stage through a mission FRFR. I have to say I can't get quite the clean tones out of it, but it does do a pretty good Marshall.

Midnight Blues

The ThroBak were a special set that they made specifically for the LP PF. On the box is written:
Bridge: PF -102B Frampton Custom.
8.1 short AZ
Vintage wiring
vintage baseplate.

On the box for Middle and neck:
PF - Custom MXV
Middle: 7.76k
Long AZ

Neck 7.25 long AZ
vintage wiring
Vintage Baseplate.

( The AZ might be A2)

All were wound on Leesome102 . Wire lot E0026 and E0027.
They were set up by Tim (genius) at Bananas at Large in Marin, CA.
They are truly awesome.
The Ratio locking tuners are very good and you can hear the difference on clean channel, and the gold metal cord plate is a must.
If you lived in the bay (north) I'd suggest you come and hear this beast.

Very cool! I think you're right re the AZ vs A2. I'd really love to try some ThroBaks, especially the 101s. I just don't have a guitar that I can put them in right now? Maby my R9, but I like to stock pups Gibson put in it.

I am thinking of trying their '50s wiring harness for my '76 Deluxe, but that's going to have to wait until I have some disposable income. I love being retired, but I just don't have the cash-flow I used to have when I was working. :laugh2:

I'd love to hear what your's sounds like, but I'm in Florida.

Beautiful Picture. These guitars really do stand out. And I can play it through 3 sets, no break, for 4.5-5 hours without pain pills for my back. Love the Marshall. I have a Mesa Mark V, but recently moved to a Kemper Stage through a mission FRFR. I have to say I can't get quite the clean tones out of it, but it does do a pretty good Marshall.

Thanks! I know exactly what you mean. The weight is perfect on these and I love the neck.

That's my YJM100 and I love it! I'm really not an Yngwie fan and I don't begrudge anyone that is, he is a great player, but t has everything you could ever want in an amp. If I had to guess, I don't use about 90% the features that it has. Back in the mid '70s, I bought an early '70s 100 watt Marshall stack. The cabs were 1960AX/AB (althogh I don't think they used the AX/AB identifier at that time?). Shortly after I got married in the mid '80s, I lost my job. We needed the cash, so I sold it. Under the circumstances, it was the right thing to do, but I've kicked myself ever since. Once the YJM100 was released and I saw it, I had to have it, even though I don't use it that much. I mainly use my Marshall 1974X the most, which is another amp I really love!

cheers.gif

Harle000

My PF LP arrived (some 13 years ago) damaged by the postal carrier. As usual no one accepted responsibility and I had to get it fixed myself. The Bridge had collapsed forward, I presume by the case being put under too much pressure. Luckily no damage to the guitar, just the bridge. I took the opportunity to have the guitar repaired, and set up. Well they botched the job. The guitar sounded terrible, I had it plecked, set up, look at by some 20 local luthiers. Result - it sounded terrible. Roll forward 12 years. Took to Tim (Genius) at Bananas at Large in Marin (if anyone who reads this ever speaks to Tim just mention the poor sod with the Black PF Les Paul - he'll remember) and he completely rewired, re potted, set up, new pick ups, new tuners and - COVID - it stayed at Banana's for some 6 months.
I've now got this incredible guitar back - and still can't gig with it due to lock down.
I've played with the Mesa Mark V, my Ax8, and the Kemper stage. This thing holds it's own against my 68. Chambered or not, this thing sounds awesome.
Anyway this is a long winded way of getting to the point that the Marshall is a great amp, and the PF LP is not a second string guitar due to the weight reducing chambering.

Midnight Blues

Had to be tough given what transpired, but "All's well that ends well." as "they" say, thankfully!

I have no problem with the fact that they're chambered. I don't find any degradation in tone whatsoever. PF wanted it that way and if it's good enough for him, it's certainly good enough for me. Even though he has his original back, he still uses his Signature model, both live and in the studio.

On a side note, I don't think the Custom Shop is making them anymore?

cheers.gif

Harle000

I think that's right, but I don't know how many they made. I thing the run was only 10 years or so, and I'm presuming as mine's #707 the run was at least 1,000. Fine by me - stands out in a crowded product line