• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

$2500 a fair price for '99 to '01 '59 Reissues?

jdawg

I came across three '59 Les Paul reissues ranging in production years from '99 to '01. They all appear to be in great shape, all-original, and they are all priced at $2500 each. The price does not include a case.

Does $2500 seem like a fair price for one of those, and are there any years between 1999 and 2001 which are considered better than the others for '59 reissues?

-Joe

Mainah

Alright, I'll bite. Where, exactly, are these $2500.00 R9s available? :ganz

jdawg

Alright, I'll bite. Where, exactly, are these $2500.00 R9s available? :ganz.

I'd rather not say where they are until I get a chance to go back and check them out again and make a decision.

-Joe

Cody

Aww, NUTS! I already had my wallet out!

The '99s are famous for their color.

Cody

Caveat: I know what I like, but I'm not following the Historic market as closely as a lot of others here.

For me: as with any Les Paul, depends on the top.

If I found a '99 with a top ranging from Realistic But Not Very Flamey to Realistic UberTop (not very likely at that price) in the typical '99 color for $2500, I wouldn't even hesitate.

"Realistic" is the key word for me.

Some '00s have the same color, so I guess the same would apply, but I do admit to having somewhat of a '99 fetish.

zepsong

I would say that's a nice price for an original R9. I'd pick the best of the litter, and never look back...

D'Mule

I assume these are all used and not NOS. It all depends on the top.

If they are nicely flamed/figured with a nice burst paint job, that is a killer price. If they are plain tops, then it is a fair price, but no bargain IMHO.

JPP-1

2500 plus tax I presume. i think you can do just as good on the bay. I've seen some nice r9s go for as low as 2800 with OHSC and COA. You just have to be patient and wait for the right one. And remember an R9 Lifton case goes for 300+ and case candy is valued at another 100 plus a coa if applicable adds another 100 to 200. This of course is only important if you're going to flip it. If a guitar speaks to you then it's a great deal.

But let me leave you with this thought. A buddy of mine found an R9 he liked for 3200. A beautiful top light resonant alive sounding axe. He then weent to a store that had several reissues including an R9 at closeout pricing. He went for the low price and after a few weeks was so dissapointed with this discounted R9 he ended it up selling to buy the one he really liked.

Last edited:

burst59

$2500.00 is a fair price for a 1999 R9 Plain or Flame Top.
Buy the one that speaks to you tone wise and top second.
A Flame Top doesn't sound any better than a Plain Top.

jdawg

$2500.00 is a fair price for a 1999 R9 Plain or Flame Top.
Buy the one that speaks to you tone wise and top second.
A Flame Top doesn't sound any better than a Plain Top.

Are the specs. (pickups, etc...) the same on the 1999, 2000, and 2001 R9s?

-Joe

6L6

All Access/Backstage Pass

-Joe

Specs are the same on '99-'00 (minus the finish) and very different on the 2001s (e.g., '01s have smaller frets, swirly inlay material, tortoise side dots, and lightweight TP). '01s were also pretty lightweight and more pricey. Some folks have dubbed many of the '01s as "clownbursts."

BTW all '01s came with COAs, not always the case in 2000.

jdawg

Some folks have dubbed many of the '01s as "clownbursts."

I believe the one 2001 they have would be considered a "clownburst"- cherry sunburt that is very red at the edges, very light toward the center. A lot of nice figure in the wood, though.

So when did the long neck tenon become standard on the historics? Do all these guitars in question have the long tenon?

-Joe

AXE752

All those years have long tenon. I think 2001 is the first year for the lightweight stop tail piece as well (something you can buy after market.) I have an early '00 and love the paint, the realistic top, and the resonance of mine. A lot of folks think that these traits are more consistent during '99 and early '00. I don't know. All I do know is: 1) you can find good ones in any year and 2) I really, really like mine.:jim

(Edited for clarity)

burst59

-Joe

The pickups are the same, 57 Classic's, some of the inlays through this time period vary in color, I've seen some 01's with a light grey colored inlays and some almost white. Also the inlays have a more rounded corner to them
not like the 50's which were a little sharper on the ends. I think the 99's had a more correct top carve also.

Just try the ones out you're thinking about buying and the one that sounds and plays the best will probably be the one you bring home. :salude