• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Closest Jimmy Page Pickups 1973 #1?

azlavalamp

Thanks everybody :salude

The Peavy is going bye-bye before any surgery gets performed on my Paul. I thank you ALL for some great tips. The one thing that really nails the tone issue is the fact that I got "modern" pups on my guitar running through a "modern" tube amp. I gotta go back in time with the amp OR find a new reproduction. Looking in the Fender direction for the amp is my next step. I suppose a look on flea bay is in order. Here I go...

merkel

Hey not to hijack, but I've been wanting to ask this for a while and it seemed sorta germain. A lot has been made of Pages coil splitting, don't you need a 4 wire PUP for that? Weren't his PAF's? Thanks.

mrbeasty

I love Page’s tone on The Ocean. That is the middle position on his Les Paul, which can be approximated on just about any Les Paul with PAFs (with various degrees of intensity) by playing with the pickups height. It is a very out-of-phase tone, with bridge pickup slightly dominant IMHO. Find the setting that chirps the most ...

My $0.02.

sunburst

Anybody know what pickups would provide the CLOSEST match in tone from today's pickup options? I was thinking maybe Burstbucker 2 (in the neck) and 3 (in the bridge)???

I actually have the Burstbucker 2 and 3 on my LP. If you get them individually they're unpotted, which gives you that little bit of extra feedback which I find appealing. I also remember that Page always dialed his tone controls mid and high all he way up and bass all the way down.

somebodyelseuk

Hey not to hijack, but I've been wanting to ask this for a while and it seemed sorta germain. A lot has been made of Pages coil splitting, don't you need a 4 wire PUP for that? Weren't his PAF's? Thanks.
It's not difficult to change the cable, if you know what you're doing, which I would think his guitar tech would.

Classicplayer

I have the Burstbucker I & II on my 2018 Traditional and with a thinner tone on the amp, I can approximate Page's middle switch position on many of his songs. “The Ocean” type of “cluck” he got is not to be heard on setup. I do l8ke what I near on my setup.

Classicplayer